Multiple Side Wall Surround Speakers

lvb1770

lvb1770

Enthusiast
If I want to add more side wall surround speakers to the surround L/R channels, what is the best way to do it? Could it be too taxing for the amp to just wire the extra speaker to each channel or would it be better to add a signal splitter and additional amp? Thanks for any suggestions.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Sounds like you are 5.1 now, so how about just moving to a 7.1 or 9.1 setup? To answer your question, the proper way would be with a splitter and separate amp.

lvb1770

lvb1770

Enthusiast
Sounds like you are 5.1 now, so how about just moving to a 7.1 or 9.1 setup? To answer your question, the proper way would be with a splitter and separate amp.
Thanks! Yes, I am now 5.1, but I am planning to go to an Atmos setup (11.2.4 channels), but wanted to add 2 more side surrounds. Thanks again for the advice.

XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

Audioholic Chief
Thanks! Yes, I am now 5.1, but I am planning to go to an Atmos setup (11.2.4 channels), but wanted to add 2 more side surrounds. Thanks again for the advice.
Just curious, what room size or feature is causing you to add the additional side surrounds?
Only time I have seen that configuration is in large commercial movie theaters.

Cheers,
XEagleDriver

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The other aspect I'd consider heavily is that Atmos probably won't do well in the consumer market.

crossedover

crossedover

Audioholic Chief
If your avr has 5.1 preouts you can run external amp/s to add the additions. But as has been asked how large is your room?

lvb1770

lvb1770

Enthusiast
My room is 26 feet long, and wanted better side surround for back row. 1st two rows are good with present single L/R surrounds, not so good for back row.

crossedover

crossedover

Audioholic Chief
My room is 26 feet long, and wanted better side surround for back row. 1st two rows are good with present single L/R surrounds, not so good for back row.
OK then a little more information about, seating distances ,equipment and how soon you plan ur avr upgrade

XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

Audioholic Chief
Four Options

You basically have four options AFAIK:

1)
If surround speakers are spec'd at 4 ohm, you can connect the two speakers on each side in SERIES to create an AVR friendly 8 ohm load.
- You may have to tweak the AVR's surround channel volume bias up a bit to get the right sound level.
- All surrounds will be on all the time, even when back row is empty.
- Low cost as long as new speakers are not required.

2) If surround speakers are spec'd at 8 ohm, you can connect the two speakers on each side in PARALLEL to create a 4 ohm load, which some AVRs can handle--check your AVR's manual.
- All surrounds will be on all the time, even when back row is empty.
- Low cost as long as new speakers and/or AVR are not required.

3) Connect your AVR surround L/R speaker outputs to a Speaker Selector Switch (SSS) input and then connect each surround speaker L/R pair to a separate SSS output.
- Ensure any SSS you choose has circuit protection to provide an appropriate load to the AVR when multiple speaker pairs (i.e. front row and back row) are used.
- The SSS may have volume controls for each output depending on what you buy.
- Moderate cost, does allow manually turning off unused speakers (i.e. empty back row), if desired.

4)
Connect the AVR surround channel L/R pre-amp outputs to a separate Four Channel Amp (or more) as suggested below.
- Probably highest cost with best performance.

Cheers,
XEagleDriver

P.S. Must be nice to have your own commercial sized theater LOL

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
lvb, are you using satellites / bookshelfs for your side surrounds, or are you using dipoles or bipoles? If you're using directional speakers like satellites or bookshelfs, you could get wider dispersion by replacing your existing speakers. That'd be a whole lot easier than attempting to add more.

BlwnAway

BlwnAway

Audioholic
I know this thread died a couple of months ago but was curious if you ended up trying this or not?
My room is basically 23x23 and had some extra speakers and amps around while waiting to see what happens with Auro3d, so I did this and thought it actually worked pretty well, went the pre-amp out too external amp route using mono-blocks that have a similar output rating as my AVR, added extra side surrounds and rears. And no, it's normally not needed, it is totally doable, I actually like the extra "fill".
(Then again, I'm impatiently waiting on Auro3d so I may not be "all there"in the first place...lol)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
IIRC, Auro3D is already available and the receivers are quite expensive.

BlwnAway

BlwnAway

Audioholic
Yes, but I don't have a cool 17k lying around, I'm waiting until spring to see how this firmware update for Marantz/Denon goes, then I'll just grab up a SR7009.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis