Multichannel in Yamaha V663 via HDMI

N

notsonoob

Audioholic Intern
I am planning to buy Yamaha V663 and one of those upscaling standard dvd players (sony, toshiba or lg) which displayes dolby digital decoding and dts output in thier specs.

Will i be able to get video and multichannel audio into V663 using one hdmi cable, or do i have to use optical cable too?

I know my reciever will be able to recieve multichannel audio and video through HDMI, question is, does those dvd players support this.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
You can use HDMI for audio and video with the 663, but you will have to make sure whatever dvd player you get can output audio via HDMI, which it should be able to do and will be able to do if you get a quality player. If you are looking for a good upscaling player, definitely check out the offerings from OPPO Digital, or even a used HD-DVD player like a Toshiba HD-A2 is really good, and you may be able to find one somewhere for cheap.

H

hjfischer

Enthusiast
I have the YAM 663 and an Oppo 980H DVD player. Using only HDMI cable between them and to the TV, you will get any currently available multi-channel audio. My experience so far indicates that the 663 automatically defaults to multi channel mode regardless of your decoder setting, whenever a multi channel DVD is played. BTW, the Oppo does a fantastic job of upscaling.

N

notsonoob

Audioholic Intern
You can use HDMI for audio and video with the 663, but you will have to make sure whatever dvd player you get can output audio via HDMI, which it should be able to do and will be able to do if you get a quality player. If you are looking for a good upscaling player, definitely check out the offerings from OPPO Digital, or even a used HD-DVD player like a Toshiba HD-A2 is really good, and you may be able to find one somewhere for cheap.
That leads to my next question: i noticed that OPPO dvd players has been rated very high in posts here at AH but they are priced way higher than name brand dvd players like sony, toshiba, lg etc. What is its main advantage? Just because it will let me use one hdmi for audio/video?

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
That leads to my next question: i noticed that OPPO dvd players has been rated very high in posts here at AH but they are priced way higher than name brand dvd players like sony, toshiba, lg etc. What is its main advantage? Just because it will let me use one hdmi for audio/video?
No, Oppo DVD players are far more capable than the Sony, Toshiba, LG, etc players available. Oppos players are best compared to Denon's offerings, often if not always Oppo offers more features and upscaling prowess compared to Denon's similarly priced offerings. Most Oppo players feature at least 5.1 analog output, SACD playback, DVD-Audio playback and stellar upscaling. Oppos aren't comparable to the crap they sell at Wal-Mart, even the Sony upscaling player they have is nothing better than just a DVD player with an HDMI output that makes a claim it upscales (well it does, but it probably won't perform as well scaling as your display).

B

Bluesmoke

Audioholic Chief
Or a PS3 if analong output isn't required.

- game system
- excellent dvd player
- excellent blu-ray player

N

notsonoob

Audioholic Intern
Most Oppo players feature at least 5.1 analog output, SACD playback, DVD-Audio playback and stellar upscaling. Oppos aren't comparable to the crap they sell at Wal-Mart, even the Sony upscaling player they have is nothing better than just a DVD player with an HDMI output that makes a claim it upscales (well it does, but it probably won't perform as well scaling as your display).
Will i be able to see and hear difference between Oppo and rest of the herd while using my 42" plasma and Yamaha V663?

As i heard Oppo's benefits are visible at bigger screen sizes and my Yamaha receiver and my HDTV will upscale the video adequately.

A

AMPocketRadio

Enthusiast
The 663 does not upscales, it only converts the analog video to digital on HDMI

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Even still, the current bottom of the line Oppo upscaling player would likely outperform the Yamaha RX-V863 in upscaling. I don't know what TV you have.

S

s52e368

Full Audioholic
Even still, the current bottom of the line Oppo upscaling player would likely outperform the Yamaha RX-V863 in upscaling. I don't know what TV you have.
that maybe be the case i dont use my 863 for upscaling personally buts its capable and i was stating the facts.

A

Affejunge

Audioholic
Will i be able to see and hear difference between Oppo and rest of the herd while using my 42" plasma and Yamaha V663?
I have both the Oppo 980 and Yammy 663. They are hooked up to my Samsung 46A650. They Sammy does a much better job of deinterlacing/scaling than the Oppo. So the Oppo is set to 480i output over HDMI (another HUGE advantage of the Oppo) That is not to say the Oppo is a bad scaler. It blows away they Samsung 1080P8 dvd player I started with.

The main reason I wanted it was it audio capabilities. The ability to stream DSD directly to your Yammy over HDMI is awesome. No longer need my Outlaw ICBM and 12 patch cables!! I personally think the Oppo is better at AC3 and DTS decoding than they Yammy, so I have it send those signals as LPCM over the HDMI cable. IMHO opinion the yammy/oppo 980 is an excellent value for decent audio / home theater solution. (Audio side being much better than decent) My only gripe is due to HDMI requierments, audio bandwidth is pegged as a percentage of Video bandwidth. So to stream multi-channel DSD over HDMI, I have to set the video output to 1080i. Not a huge deal, just fyi.

N

notsonoob

Audioholic Intern
My tv (philips 42 plasma) is not even capable of 1080p resolution, i think max is 720p, are there any other advantages of Oppo except its better audio capabilities like SACD? Does it have any extra features than regular dvd players?

H

hjfischer

Enthusiast
I have both the Oppo 980 and Yammy 663. They are hooked up to my Samsung 46A650. They Sammy does a much better job of deinterlacing/scaling than the Oppo. So the Oppo is set to 480i output over HDMI (another HUGE advantage of the Oppo) That is not to say the Oppo is a bad scaler. It blows away they Samsung 1080P8 dvd player I started with.

The main reason I wanted it was it audio capabilities. The ability to stream DSD directly to your Yammy over HDMI is awesome. No longer need my Outlaw ICBM and 12 patch cables!! I personally think the Oppo is better at AC3 and DTS decoding than they Yammy, so I have it send those signals as LPCM over the HDMI cable. IMHO opinion the yammy/oppo 980 is an excellent value for decent audio / home theater solution. (Audio side being much better than decent) My only gripe is due to HDMI requierments, audio bandwidth is pegged as a percentage of Video bandwidth. So to stream multi-channel DSD over HDMI, I have to set the video output to 1080i. Not a huge deal, just fyi.
Would you elaborate further on/ explain your comment regarding sending DTS signals as LPCM over HDMI? How is this an improvement? I'm certainly not taking exception since I'm new to this and don't understand the alternatives. Thanks.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
My tv (philips 42 plasma) is not even capable of 1080p resolution, i think max is 720p, are there any other advantages of Oppo except its better audio capabilities like SACD? Does it have any extra features than regular dvd players?
Just because your TV is only 720p doesn't mean the Oppo won't outgun the garbage from Wally World.;) It will still produce a very good picture with DVDs. Of course, if it where me, I would just get a PS3. The PS3 scored just under the newest Oppo DVD upscaling player in terms of DVD playback quality. To top it off, they are the same price, the PS3 plays Blu-ray movies, games, and can function as a media hub/center. You also can just waltz into just about any store and get one.:D

N

notsonoob

Audioholic Intern
Just because your TV is only 720p doesn't mean the Oppo won't outgun the garbage from Wally World.;) It will still produce a very good picture with DVDs. Of course, if it where me, I would just get a PS3. The PS3 scored just under the newest Oppo DVD upscaling player in terms of DVD playback quality. To top it off, they are the same price, the PS3 plays Blu-ray movies, games, and can function as a media hub/center. You also can just waltz into just about any store and get one.:D
If i decide to buy Oppo, i ll be getting Oppo 980 which cost about 169, although i am leaning towards Oppo, i am not able to find much advantages over big brand players considering my tv cannot play 1080 p, just need to buy extra digital coax cable for audio and dont have any SACD's to play.

Any Oppo loyals with more extra features??

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
If i decide to buy Oppo, i ll be getting Oppo 980 which cost about 169, although i am leaning towards Oppo, i am not able to find much advantages over big brand players considering my tv cannot play 1080 p, just need to buy extra digital coax cable for audio and dont have any SACD's to play.

Any Oppo loyals with more extra features??
You aren't understanding, the Oppo will still look better when upscaling/deinterlacing than your "big brand" stuff. I know your TV isn't 1080p, but that's not relevant. I would suggest you do a side by side test with something you get from Wal-Mart, and then an Oppo.;)

N

notsonoob

Audioholic Intern
You aren't understanding, the Oppo will still look better when upscaling/deinterlacing than your "big brand" stuff. I know your TV isn't 1080p, but that's not relevant. I would suggest you do a side by side test with something you get from Wal-Mart, and then an Oppo.;)
i will buy both Oppo 980 and sony, will see if i am able to see or hear the difference.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis