Multichannel CASD/CD/CD-R Player

fired up

fired up

Audioholic
Greetings:

Just saw typo in post: CASD should be SACD!

Please recommend a few different Multichannel SACD/CD/CD-R Players for a budget, middle or Hi-End system. Focus more on budget and middle ground as that is where I will most likely purchase at price point wise.

I heard that Oppos are agreat value but to appreciate the Audio only features - a DAC is required. What is DAC? What does it do? Which should I buy that is a good deal to pair with Oppo if I go that route? Might as well recommend some DAC's as well for Oppo so I know what to get.

Thanks,

Eddie

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Try the Oppos without a DAC for now and see what you think. If you are happy with it already, then no need to spend more... I haven't heard anyone discussing the 983's audio perfomance really yet, so I'd say go with the 980 which had a better design audio-wise than the 981. I have used my 980 for SACD/DVD-A and it does almost as well as my $1K(MSRP) 2900, so I have no complaints with it.

dobyblue

dobyblue

Senior Audioholic
One nice thing about the Oppo 980H is it's one of the few NA models available with DSD native output.

Most other DSD players are European models.

fired up

fired up

Audioholic
To all,

What is DSD native output and how will that help me? What is difference between Oppo 980H, 981H and 983H models? They all seem the same to me. I am new to this so please forgive my ignorance.

Also if I purchase a multichannel player - do I have the option of listening in stereo only if I prefer?

Thank You,

Eddie

fired up

fired up

Audioholic
Never mind - I saw that I could compare all three models on Oppo website.

What is DSD native output?

Eddie

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
Never mind - I saw that I could compare all three models on Oppo website.

What is DSD native output?

Eddie
DSD is the format of the digital information on an SACD. Many SACD players convert DSD to PCM (another digital format, or, rather, group of formats) for output via HDMI, or even for internal processing (e.g., bass management, etc.). Most likely, you will never hear the difference (not to mention the fact that a lot of SACDs have been processed in PCM anyway, because it is easier to mix in PCM than DSD). But other than ease of managing the signal, there is no benefit to converting DSD to PCM, and "purists" want as little conversion as possible, and therefore prefer to have a player that outputs DSD. All else being equal, I would rather have a player that outputs DSD, but I would not buy a lessor player to get it.

With the Oppo players, if you have a receiver that can handle DSD via HDMI, and if you were only wanting the player for SACD playback, I would go with the DV-980H. But if I were also going to use it for DVD playback, I would go with a better model for that.

fired up

fired up

Audioholic
Thanks for the explanation Pyrrho.

Other than budget players like Oppo & the HK models mentioned - What else is out there in terms of high quality midprice $500 to $2K? I freed up a large chunk of my budget and don't want to skimp on a Multichannel SACD / CD/CD-R player as my source equipment.

Thanks,

Eddie

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I mentioned this to somone else previously, make sure there are a fair number of tiles that you are interested in before investing a lot of money in a high end system based around two formats that are essentially niche formats that may not stick around for the long haul.

davidtwotrees

davidtwotrees

Audioholic General
I think fired up mentioned he is into classical........and there are more titles in that genre for sacd than you could ever listen to, with more coming out daily.

I have a Denon 3910.......the current model is 3930. Their flagship model is the 5910. MSRP's of $1500 and $3900 respectively. Most here would not reccomend these as they are standard defenition DVD players, not hi def blurays. My 3910 is a fine piece of equiptment and does multichannel music very well....
Marantz has some audiophile grade players, SA15S1 that just do sacd/cd playback. Teac's Esoteric line offers the whole gamut of universal players.......you can have the video and audio, or just audio. There are also some hi end sacd players that only do two channel for the purist.

I bought my Denon used for about $600 and it does not dissappoint. Hth.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks for the explanation Pyrrho.

Other than budget players like Oppo & the HK models mentioned - What else is out there in terms of high quality midprice $500 to $2K? I freed up a large chunk of my budget and don't want to skimp on a Multichannel SACD / CD/CD-R player as my source equipment.

Thanks,

Eddie
Denon DVD-3930CI is an outstanding SACD/DVD-Audio/CD/DVD player for around $950.

Markov

Audiophyte
A pretty good all around mid-fi universal player (SACD/DVD/DVDA) with nice build quality and without and ‘audiophile’ price is the Marantz DV7001 (MSRP:800).

Zer0beaT

Zer0beaT

Junior Audioholic
What's the word on the Denon 1940CI?

I've been considering this model as a replacement for a Pioneer DV588.

Would it be considered a better CD player than the Pioneer?

H

h317

Audioholic Intern
Denon DVD-3930CI is an outstanding SACD/DVD-Audio/CD/DVD player for around $950.
Ditto that. I purchased a demo 3930CI unit two weeks ago. SACD/DVD-A playback quality is very very good. More impressive to me is it's DVD upscaling quality... much better than my BD player.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Ditto that. I purchased a demo 3930CI unit two weeks ago. SACD/DVD-A playback quality is very very good. More impressive to me is it's DVD upscaling quality... much better than my BD player.
Tell us more about the 3930CI DVD upscaling compared to your BD player.

Which BD player do you have?

I thought about getting the Denon DVD-3800BDCI because I heard the upscaling will be 100% -- perfect -- passing all the tests. They said this Denon BD player has the same exact Audio/Video as the 3930CI (plus the BD part).

fired up

fired up

Audioholic
dobyblue,

I am so very grateful for the link you provided to sa-cd.net and now I know where to go shopping other than SCAmazon.com with their overpriced SACD's and CD's.

Thank you so very much!

Eddie

fired up

fired up

Audioholic
Greetings,

I don't think I made my request crystal clear and take full responsibility.

I am not looking for a Universal player that plays DVD or DVD-Audio.

I am looking for an Multichannel/Surround SACD player that is killer/stellar/phenomenal/the real deal!!!! The only other requirement is that it is able to also play Red Book standard 2 channel CD's as well as 2 channel SACD's.

I already have a DVD player.

Thanks,

Eddie

H

h317

Audioholic Intern
Tell us more about the 3930CI DVD upscaling compared to your BD player.

Which BD player do you have?

I thought about getting the Denon DVD-3800BDCI because I heard the upscaling will be 100% -- perfect -- passing all the tests. They said this Denon BD player has the same exact Audio/Video as the 3930CI (plus the BD part).
I own a Sony BDS300. Not claiming to be an expert in this hobby, I just find the Denon produces a truer color comparing to my Sony with a lot of details. The only inconvenience is that I need to swith the HDMI setup every time I want to listen to SACD.

The Denon is an expensive unit (that's why I decided to get a demo unit) for sure. If you have not owned a BD player yet and that the 3800BDCI uses the same chip as the 3930, then you may want to seriously consider that. I believe audioholics has done a professional review on the 3930CI. Read that as well. Better yet, go auditon the unit at your deal.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis