Multi Channel Stereo

STC

STC

Junior Audioholic
Hi guys,

I have a modest 7.1 Marantz AVR setup. It is not Dolby ATMOS and I do not use height channels. The 7 speakers are arranged as recommended. It was calibrated using the Audyssey calibration. Lately, I am experiencing the different setting in the Marantz AVR and it looks like the “Music” setting ( which is actually multichannel) giving you rich sound that is more engaging than the other settings for movies. Even though, you don’t get the front to back sound like the 7.1 but the sound is actually engaging and rich. Anyone else experience the same.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
For me all/multi channel stereo is horrible. It’s more sound, but generally just noisier.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi guys,

I have a modest 7.1 Marantz AVR setup. It is not Dolby ATMOS and I do not use height channels. The 7 speakers are arranged as recommended. It was calibrated using the Audyssey calibration. Lately, I am experiencing the different setting in the Marantz AVR and it looks like the “Music” setting ( which is actually multichannel) giving you rich sound that is more engaging than the other settings for movies. Even though, you don’t get the front to back sound like the 7.1 but the sound is actually engaging and rich. Anyone else experience the same.
Dreadful racket, and if you keep it up you will blow your receiver.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Maybe for a party, otherwise avoid it. If it sounds good to you, tho...

F

Focus SE

Junior Audioholic
I have two ways to achieve this on my Marantz cinema 60. by hitting the options button on the remote I can go to an all zone stereo and by selecting the movie music or game buttons I can toggle between 5 choices.
stereo
dolby audio-dolby digital
dolby audio-DD+D surround
dolby audio- DD+ Neural:X
Multi Ch Stereo

I vary rarely use the AVR for movies. I bought it to use a processor for 2 channel stereo. However, because of the limitations of my old tv, whenever I'm playing a DVD it has to run the sound through the AVR. I do not have a center channel so the multi-channel feature is helpful with dialog and because of the goofy set placement of my rear channels, using the multi-channel helps for casual background music to be cast better throughout the main floor of my house. I will say it is a very bright sound. When my set up makes it to a designated room I will add a center and two heights for the Atmos that will probably not be used often. I for sure see the benefits of this option when surround isn't that important.

Last edited:
STC

STC

Junior Audioholic
To all above, are you guys using full range speakers for the surround? Brightness can be adjusted in the setting so it’s a none issue. Perhaps, I will make a binaural recordings of the different setting to see if the can identify the preferred settings.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
To all above, are you guys using full range speakers for the surround? Brightness can be adjusted in the setting so it’s a none issue. Perhaps, I will make a binaural recordings of the different setting to see if the can identify the preferred settings.
Multi ch stereo is not surround

F

Focus SE

Junior Audioholic
Yes I use a full range speaker for the Rear. Let me put it this way, they are connected to the rear channels on the AVR but are not being used as such. I use it for multi-channel for background music. (my external amp is more than plenty to handle this but use caution) As far as the idea of making a recording of it. It would be pointless around these parts. A youtube video will not really make your point. like me, what you are doing is more of a personal taste not really the focus of this forum. As far as the sound goes my speakers are bottom heavy so recently when chasing an issue I discovered how bright I EQ my sound. For me its still a huge learning curve. At low volume the bright EQ setting helps project the upper ranges. when I'm occasionally kicking it, its too much. then add changing artists and you have to start all over I have not found a one setting fits all.

Last edited:
F

Focus SE

Junior Audioholic
For me all/multi channel stereo is horrible. It’s more sound, but generally just noisier.
That is an accurate statement as it relates to critical listening.
I fully understand that this forum is centered on critical listening. Optimizing and replicating sound is paramount. That is not the understanding of new people coming here. They are excited about taking the next step. A year ago, all I knew was clearly defined sound. A comment like this would have made zero rational thought to me because I didn't understand why you were right. When you're new to the hobby you will try anything. You want more because your system is lacking. "more is better" until you LEARN less is more .It is not until you hear two channel stereo the way it was meant to be heard that it all comes together. Then and only then will your comment be understood by someone new just wanting as much sound as fast as they can get it.

STC

STC

Junior Audioholic
I fully understand that this forum is centered on critical listening. Optimizing and replicating sound is paramount. That is not the understanding of new people coming here. They are excited about taking the next step. A year ago, all I knew was clearly defined sound. A comment like this would have made zero rational thought to me because I didn't understand why you were right. When you're new to the hobby you will try anything. You want more because your system is lacking. "more is better" until you LEARN less is more .It is not until you hear two channel stereo the way it was meant to be heard that it all comes together. Then and only then will your comment be understood by someone new just wanting as much sound as fast as they can get it.
No need to be so condescending. I can safely say I know stereo better and know how to produce a better stereo than most. My interest is 3D audio and have a system for anyone to walk in and discover what 3D audio is.

I am just asking about a simple question of subjective preference and liking when the setting set as music which in the display shows as multi channel stereo. Is that like arranging 3 pairs of stereo speakers or the DSP does more than that as the sound is not only my preference but subjectively seemed to be liked by casual listeners.

Probably, someone here could pick a movie from Netflix and give it a try under different setting and see whether you like some settings ga better than other. Anyway, this is a non ATMOS system.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
No need to be so condescending. I can safely say I know stereo better and know how to produce a better stereo than most. My interest is 3D audio and have a system for anyone to walk in and discover what 3D audio is.

I am just asking about a simple question of subjective preference and liking when the setting set as music which in the display shows as multi channel stereo. Is that like arranging 3 pairs of stereo speakers or the DSP does more than that as the sound is not only my preference but subjectively seemed to be liked by casual listeners.

Probably, someone here could pick a movie from Netflix and give it a try under different setting and see whether you like some settings ga better than other. Anyway, this is a non ATMOS system.
Mult ch stereo is just the L/R signal sent to each pair, summed to mono for center.....

STC

STC

Junior Audioholic
Mult ch stereo is just the L/R signal sent to each pair, summed to mono for center.....
Just watched Audioholic video on this point and he did talk about putting them at the back at lower level to add filling in which reminds me of car stereo system with 4 speakers. The rears even just playing the stereo they are used to fill in adding weight to the music.
I am not trying to justify the use of multi channel stereo but just asking whether there is some liking to such sound for casual listeners but only if readers experiment and get third party’s opinions I guess this topic is going nowhere.

Last edited:
Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Just watched Audioholic video on this point and he did talk about putting them at the back at lover level to add filling in which reminds me of car stereo system with 4 speakers. The rears even just playing the stereo they are used to fill in adding weight to the music.
I am not trying to justify the use of multi channel stereo but just asking whether there is some liking to such sound for casual listeners but only if readers experiment and get third party’s opinions I guess this topic is going nowhere.
It’s a preference whether or not you like multichannel stereo.

Personally I don’t like it as I prefer listening to multichannel recordings. Stereo recordings I just listen to as stereo.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Dreadful racket, and if you keep it up you will blow your receiver.
About "will blow your receiver", that's not always true (people often say that out of good intention, but also often based on misconption/hearsay). It depends on if the user wants higher spl by using all speakers, or just for more "engaging" (to the user) but same spl.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
No need to be so condescending.
Just curious, which part you find condescending? Focus SE's comments were not even directed at you, from what I understood.:D I don't agree that multichannel stereo is horrible either, but I can understand why many people think it is, just like I can understand why many people may like it.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Just watched Audioholic video on this point and he did talk about putting them at the back at lover level to add filling in which reminds me of car stereo system with 4 speakers. The rears even just playing the stereo they are used to fill in adding weight to the music.
Some like it, but just not something I do for my own listening.

F

Focus SE

Junior Audioholic
Just curious, which part you find condescending? Focus SE's comments were not even directed at you, from what I understood.:D I don't agree that multichannel stereo is horrible either, but I can understand why many people think it is, just like I can understand why many people may like it.
I appreciate that. When I read the comment, I thought that I had entered the Twighlight Zone.
Gene did a video 5 days ago on measurements not being everything. The point being there are no absolutes in this hobby. Whatever you're getting out of it is for you.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I can certainly understand that line of thinking. Way back in the late 80’s as a teenager, I had speakers all over my room. One in each corner like a quad setup, 6x9’s in some of the false ceiling tiles, and I even removed the doors of my waterbed headboard and installed a pair of 6x9’s on custom baffles in there. I had sound everywhere! I had switches so mint necessarily were they all active all the time, but the sound was full and everywhere. Even with all of that, I always loved finding different instruments, and sounds and layers in music.
That was a long time ago! I have since revisited Mch stereo on many occasions. Nope still don’t like it! But if someone else does, I surely can’t say they’re wrong in how they enjoy their system. Just like they can’t say I’m wrong for not liking how they do.
As far as new guys, I didn’t get the impression that @STC was new, but possibly that he recently found out that he really likes a certain sound mode. FWIW, I’ve never liked Yamahas fake sound modes either, but many people do. I’m just glad there are people still enjoying this hobby.

F

Focus SE

Junior Audioholic
I can certainly understand that line of thinking. Way back in the late 80’s as a teenager, I had speakers all over my room. One in each corner like a quad setup, 6x9’s in some of the false ceiling tiles, and I even removed the doors of my waterbed headboard and installed a pair of 6x9’s on custom baffles in there. I had sound everywhere! I had switches so mint necessarily were they all active all the time, but the sound was full and everywhere. Even with all of that, I always loved finding different instruments, and sounds and layers in music.
That was a long time ago! I have since revisited Mch stereo on many occasions. Nope still don’t like it! But if someone else does, I surely can’t say they’re wrong in how they enjoy their system. Just like they can’t say I’m wrong for not liking how they do.
As far as new guys, I didn’t get the impression that @STC was new, but possibly that he recently found out that he really likes a certain sound mode. FWIW, I’ve never liked Yamahas fake sound modes either, but many people do. I’m just glad there are people still enjoying this hobby.
One year ago I had no idea that what I am hearing today was even possible with just two channels. I just wanted as much as I could get. I took a lot of heat for multi channel early on.

STC

STC

Junior Audioholic
Probably I over reacted because I am tired of claims about correct way and what’s right because that’s what I learned from “here” and “there”. I learned comb filtering is bad but in reality I actually like the effect in my room from a small portion of untreated. posted the observation in the Harbeth Forum and Alan Shaw disagreed. But now I can say, I wasn’t wrong after reading Toole book where comb filtering is not always bad. … So it is probably an overreaction and misdirected comment towards Focus SE. My since apologies to Focus SE.

Speaking of multi channel stereo, I was watching Spirited on Apple TV and the phone’s notification sound came from my right side, just next to me on the sofa , I turned and looked the phone wasn’t there but then more sound just coming from left and right very close to me. I just realized that the scene was displaying multiple messages coming in. I played again the scene with other setting but still thought for this portion it was extremely realistic in multi channel.

Frankly, I usually prefer opinions of neutral listeners without their own HT. I found that once we go deep into this hobby we tend to develop a preference and focus on the sound differently.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis