Multi Channel Music is Amazing

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
DTS CDs are still in print, though I don't think any new ones are being made. DTS CDs essentially became DVD-A, was my understanding. One of my favorites is The Best Of Steve Miller Band. Very well mixed - great use of the surrounds. Sting's 10 Summoner's Tales is also very well done.

M

mfabien

Senior Audioholic
alandamp said:
mfabien,

You are either confused or aren't saying what you mean.

DVD-A and SACD are digital formats. Period. There is no argument.

If you don't believe me, look up the info on Audioholics main page. Or a million other sources on the net.

Don't argue. You will just confuse more people who don't understand these formats. Simply do a little research or just think about it for a second. What is analog? How can you think an optical disc is an analog format? Do you also think that CD is analog?
I was referring to the High Resolution 6 cable connections, the D/A function of the player sends the data in analog format. And I do know that D/A means digital to analog.

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
Thnx for the info guys, I'll have to consider getting a universal player now it sounded way to good with just the DTS audio track so I can't imagine what DVD-A would sound like.

supervij

supervij

Audioholic General
Well, don't get too excited, Spiffy. From what I've learned, it all depends on what equipment you're running.

I was initially really excited about multichannel music as well, thanks to a few DVD-A purchases, which I really bought for the DTS tracks. They sounded incredible. When I finally purchased a universal player, I was a little disappointed by the sound of DVD-A and SACD. I expected it to be miles ahead of DTS, just as I had found DTS to be miles ahead of redbook CD. It wasn't. The sound of SACD and DVD-A was just a little bit more spacious, a little bit clearer, a little bit more detailed than DTS.

This, I've learned, is due to the fact that I have a low- to mid-end receiver, and a budget universal player. I've been told that had I gone with one of the more expensive players (a Denon 2910, for example), I would have heard a more dramatic difference in SACD and DVD-A sound quality. Some say that lower-end universal players have output quality only slightly better than CD to begin with.

Don't get me wrong. I think SACD and DVD-A sound incredible, particularly if it's multi-channel. But if all you've heard so far is DTS music, don't get your expectations too high.

cheers,
supervij

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
Well, i have a decent system going right now, and I could purchase something like the Denon 2910, but I've been reading reviews on the Panasonic models and they seem to perform just as well at a fraction of the price.

A

arevee

Junior Audioholic
is the cheapo Philips DVP642, the one that plays anything u throw at it, any good for SACD and DVD-A?? Or is it just that: cheapo??

racquetman

racquetman

Audioholic Chief
arevee said:
is the cheapo Philips DVP642, the one that plays anything u throw at it, any good for SACD and DVD-A?? Or is it just that: cheapo??
That DVD player won't play SACD or DVD-A.

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
Yeah, the no playing DTS would shy me away from it in a heartbeat

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
Still waiting for Gary to join this chat.
I know he happens to have a Demo 9 disc.
He has the 1014tx and the Oppo you so much like Spiffy.

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
I like the oppo b/c it can play divx and xvid, but now that I think about it, I'm probably going to get a new graphics card for my PC so I can ouput HDTV from it to my Mitsu, so its not really that important now...

A

arevee

Junior Audioholic
Thanks. Any other cheap ones out there that a DVD-A/SACD beginner can try?? less than $150 or even less than $100??

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
Yeah I've seen that before, its an amazing analysis of pretty much every single dvd player out there, the older Panny that I just mentioned is in the top 5 somewhere I think too

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
However the NeuNeo that is on the list is one of the first NeuNeo made.
The one on there has since been completly changed chipset, board. dac, etc..
So it is very unfair for anyone to say that it is no good.
The model on there is the 108. Since then they have had 3 or 4 more players.
The model I have 2081 would easily compare to the Oppo, IMO.
I have had 2 of the Samsung HD841 that is on that list, and they were crap.
And the 841 can be had for about 60.00 now. Because nobody wants them.
When I bought it, it was about 180.00 But even for 60.00 it is not worth it...

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
Samsung 841 is going for 20 bucks on ubid right now

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
for that price, i may just order one to see what the picture looks like, its got 6 days left on the auction, but i dont see it going over like 40 bucks

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
Spiffyfast said:
Samsung 841 is going for 20 bucks on ubid right now
Honestly Spiffy there is a reason its at this price.
It would be 20-30 wasted. Plus shipping.....

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
that bad....really, thats kind of shocking, I about bought one of those when they first came out

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis