• 3/6

• 4/6

• 5/6

• 6/6 - Golden ears!

Results are only viewable after voting.
Natrix

Natrix

Junior Audioholic
Listening through my JBL's at work I got 3 out of 6 correct and the 3 I got wrong were all the 320kps MP3's. I can definitely tell the compressed MP3 from the other 2 files, but depending on the music, the WAV and 320kps MP3 are pretty similar to my ears. I found the same to be true listening at home with the Linkwitz CD.

Pretty interesting and thanks for posting.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Listed with my AKG K712Pro and AE D1 dac. Except Jayz sample which I could be be forced to listed even if my life depended on it, I didn't got even one right. Once even picked 128mp3.
But then again I already was convinced that 320kbps is indistinguishable from source or my hearing loss is too far gone :(

zhimbo

zhimbo

Audioholic General
Interestingly, out of 3 different times I took the quiz (18 total trials), only once did I ever pick low quality (the Coldplay track, which according to the story was the only track where people picked the low-quality file the most...hmmm), so I'm a bit surprised that low-quality did as well as it did.

I also picked the Mozart symphony correctly 3/3 times, but there's no indication that was a general trend (people did best on the a capella Suzanne Vega track).

Johnny2Bad

Johnny2Bad

Audioholic Chief
5/6 but it wasn't easy. The particular samples they chose were not, in my opinion. good examples.

zhimbo

zhimbo

Audioholic General
The particular samples they chose were not, in my opinion. good examples.
I think they were good examples in a "broadly representative of general listeners", but not in the sense of "to show the effects of compression". Well-recorded live symphonic music, for example, may show off the benefits of lossless file formats, but not really be relevant for a lot of people.

But, yeah, fully half of these were pretty bad quality sources (the recent pop ones).

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis