ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Well, I am about to embark on a journey that I thought I would never go back to.

Since most of my backyard is decking and water now, it doesn't make sense to continue with my lawn guy. My front yard is small and all last year, I mowed the little bit of grass in the back yard, with a reel mower.

After I leave the gym today, I am stopping at the HD and picking up a mower. I have decided I want one of the two linked below. What would you pick?

http://www.homedepot.com/Outdoors-Lawn-Mowers-Riding-Mowers-Walk-Behind-Mowers-Self-Propelled-Mowers/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xggZbbou/R-100659628/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

http://www.homedepot.com/Outdoors-Lawn-Mowers-Riding-Mowers-Walk-Behind-Mowers-Self-Propelled-Mowers/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xggZbbou/R-100617092/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
USB 3.0 and HDMI 1.4 are the most important features:p The only advice I have is a get one with a Honda motor.

Last edited:
T2T

T2T

Senior Audioholic
Yes, the Honda. I actually have a Craftsman mower with a Honda motor on it. Best mower I've ever owned.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I was starting to lean towrds the Toro. Reviews seem similar but the drive mech seemed better with the Toro and the handle on the Honda seems short for my height and isn't adjustable.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
honda makes engines for toro. You dont need to look for a honda brand mower, just a mower with a honda engine and the features you need.

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
The Honda has the better engine, but I really like the personal pace feature of my Toro. how much lawn do do you have to mow?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Well clearly you don't need one of these!

Of the two you picked I would actually go with Toro. There is nothing wrong at all with the Briggs engine.

I have a mower with Honda engine that was given to me. It is a good starter, but service is irritating. There is no oil drain plug for instance, so I have to use a vacuum pump. Honda also has a reputation for valve trouble, and I have seen that. It will pay to keep the oil very clean.

Round here were we have vigorous grass growth, the lawn condo contractors use Toro equipment pretty much exclusively.

The other issue is that the Honda engine is quite heavy.

I'm not allowed to push mowers up slopes any more, so the nice young man who helps me does the hand mowing. He prefers the mower that has the Briggs engine, that I bought for $50 11 years ago.

That is the next issue. Do you need a self propelled mower? I don't know your lawn, but if it is a confined area with a lot to mow around, a self propelled mower is not an advantage. You might be better off with a smaller lighter mower, especially a mulching type rather than bag.

You can also usually find good used lawn mowers for pocket change if you look around.

N

nick1000000

Full Audioholic
I would go with the Toro as well. They make great mowers. I have been mowing my own lawn and my parents lawn for years and have owned 2 Toros. I never really concerned myself with the engine. They all worked fine. Its the bag size and the quick start you should look into. Depending on how big your yard is, having to stop constantly because your small bag fills up sucks. GO BIG!

highfigh

highfigh

Most HP ratings are like amplifier power ratings- very optimistic, at best and fraudulent, at worst.

Keep the oil and gas clean, clean the underside of the deck frequently and it should last a long time. I bought a Craftsman that had been returned, although the little dork said it wasn't. I figured he was new, so I didn't make him get his manager, but I did ask why it had dust and small grass clippings on it if it was new. It has a Briggs motor and I have to assume it was too hard to turn for the original owner but I don't care and I don't expect lawn care to be effort-free. I also like the exercise.

I couldn't keep a good edge on the blade of my last mower. I sharpened it without getting it too hot- dull in a few weeks. I even got it red hot with my MAPP gas torch and oil quenched it and then tempered it. Better but not great. This one is great- I no longer bludgeon my grass. I also got this one because I wanted a bagger because I compost the grass clippings and leaves in fall (I compost the other stuff all summer, though).

If you don't want to spend much, hit the rummage and estate sales or go to Sears/HD at the beginning/end of the season. I got mine in fall when they have the disco'd models and demos that they want to get rid of. I got a $339 mower for $129 and it has all of the supplied accessories.

Oh, and make sure it has a drink holder.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
They're both nice mowers.
Given those two choices I'd go with the Toro. Don't know it you can disengage the self-propel feature, it just siphons off power that's better used for cutting / mulching, and it's usually the feature that breaks most often. The Toro is the better at mulching, of those two choices.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I am not looking at waiting for a sale or finding a used one. How about a Troy-Built with a Honda motor?

My choices have changed to:

Troy-Built
John Deere
Husqvarna

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
I really don't like self propelled personally. I mean really, how hard is it to push a lawn mower?:) I walk to fast for most of them anyway.

Greg, walk in the store grab the handle and see what's more comfortable of the higher rated models and buy it.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I really don't like self propelled personally. I mean really, how hard is it to push a lawn mower?:) I walk to fast for most of them anyway.

Greg, walk in the store grab the handle and see what's more comfortable of the higher rated models and buy it.
That's really good advice. The troy built are junk. Much as I'm a JD fan boy, they don't make their consumer gear like lawnmowers, but unfortunately put their name to them.

All Huskie gear is pretty top notch.

D

DOJ

Enthusiast
I bought that Hpnda last year and love it. I was torn between that and the Toro but the Honda motors are better. Go with the Honda

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Utt Ohhh....I went with the Troy-Built, got it before I saw that you said they are junk.

Has a big Honda motor, started on the first pull, handle felt great in my hand and it mowed the crap out of my yard.

Most of you guys, my wife and the guy at the store said to go with a push mower vs. the self-propelled. I went with the self-propelled and it seems cool. The next to the fastest setting was the speed I like to walk so that worked out well.

It is also easy to maneuver around when the transmission is disengaged so it was easy to get around the trees and bushes. I am sure it's the fact that I have the strength of 10 normal men.:D

Here is the one I got:
http://www.troybilt.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10001_14102_1419392_54966_-1

That's really good advice. The troy built are junk. Much as I'm a JD fan boy, they don't make their consumer gear like lawnmowers, but unfortunately put their name to them.

All Huskie gear is pretty top notch.

Last edited:
croseiv

croseiv

Audioholic Samurai
Utt Ohhh....I went with the Troy-Built, got it before I saw that you said they are junk.

Has a big Honda motor, started on the first pull, handle felt great in my hand and it mowed the crap out of my yard.

Most of you guys, my wife and the guy at the store said to go with a push mower vs. the self-propelled. I went with the self-propelled and it seems cool. The next to the fastest setting was the speed I like to walk so that worked out well.

It is also easy to maneuver around when the transmission is disengaged so it was easy to get around the trees and bushes. I am sure it's the fact that I have the strength of 10 normal men.:D

Here is the one I got:
http://www.troybilt.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10001_14102_1419392_54966_-1
Nice choice!

I got a new Honda year before last. I really like it! It's the easiest starting mower I have ever owned. It literally starts on the first pull every time. I've never had a mower that started that effortlessly.

Here's a pic:

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
They look like the same mower.
Nice choice!

I got a new Honda year before last. I really like it! It's the easiest starting mower I have ever owned. It literally starts on the first pull every time. I've never had a mower that started that effortlessly.

Here's a pic:

njedpx3

njedpx3

Audioholic General

Here is the one I got:
Dawg,

Sorry I was late to respond. What you bought is great, because of the honda motor. This is the same motor inthe Husqvarna I recommended. As otheres have said Honda mowers ,with Honda engines start easy and last!

Take Care, Peace and Good Sound,

Forest Man

P.S. - The best sounding Honda is an S2000 with an Invidia exhaust :D

P.S.S - I personally like the self-propelled !

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
This one took me 15 pulls to get the 1st start. Once I connected the spark plug wire, it just took 1 more pull.:eek:
Dawg,

. As others have said Honda mowers ,with Honda engines start easy and last!

!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis