Moving from UMC200 to something atmos dtsx. What should I get?

M

maseline

Enthusiast
There is a lot of receivers coming out with nice feature sets, but I love the umc200 with the peq for each channel. The question is should I just wait until emotiva releases atmos/dtsx for xmc1 and buy additional amplifier(s) or try to snag a marantz sr7010($1200 street) or a yamaha 3060 and save some coin by using some of the internal amplication.

Does the room corrections make that much difference?

Dirac vs Audacy vs YPAO?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

cel4145

cel4145

Audioholic
If you look, you can still find the Denon X4200W on closeout for $799. Seems one of the best buys right now, IMO. Has Audyssey XT32 with SUB EQ HT.

M

maseline

Enthusiast
I'm looking to go to 5.1.4...I should have mentioned that...

M

maseline

Enthusiast
I guess I kind of have a problem with Denon...They "used" to seem more reliable than they have been the past couple years...I've read so many people complain about their hdmi boards dying...so they weren't really on my list...and It could be just a matter of ymmv issue and every brand has duds. I've stuck with Emotiva for years because they back their products with 5 year warranties....The length of the warranty doesn't necessarily mean than one product is built better than another (and I know this), but it's reassuring when a company stands behind their product...

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Denon has 3 years and you could double it if you use Amex CC to buy it

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Consumer electronics in general I think suffers from current manufacturing and quality control practices. Supposedly Yamaha has been maintaining a reliability edge over the other major brands but I suspect by not a huge margin. Denon didn't have hdmi issues to the extent Onkyo did in any case. I have an Onkyo and a Denon that are doing well but my Pioneer's hdmi board crapped out. HDMI was IMHO poorly implemented in avrs generally and will likely continue to cause problems.

I do like Audyssey XT32, though, and would pick it over anything but Dirac at this point. If I were shopping now I'd probably look at Marantz even tho they are part of D+M Group and may suffer just as much from the corporate owners as Denon. The newer Denon & Marantz models that allow an app for tweaking of the XT32 eq looks interesting.

You will pay more for a Dirac implementation, though....good luck in your decision making.

S

ScottAllenLogan

Audioholic Intern
Currently, I'm using a Denon 6200, 4200, 4310, and 3312 and all running in my home and all are network connected and I've never had any issues. Prior to the upgrades on a few of these, I had other Denon units that ran solid for years and years with zip on issues. Ever. I run the crap out of them and they never complain. The immersive sound on the newer units are unbelievably solid and the next iteration with more internal amps should be perfection. I have external amps on my 6200 and 4200 which won't be needed on their replacements. (Unless, obviously, you just want more and better power). I'm also running dual subs on the 6200 and 4200, which they both support handily and the Audyssey improvements are shockingly capable. As mentioned, app tweaking on these network units is fantastic and only getting better with both OEM and aftermarket software.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis