Moving - all new cables :(

P

philh

Full Audioholic
The best set up in the new house is separating the TV and speakers from the equipment by about 25-30'. Receiver is only S-video, TIVO and B-Ray both obviously have HDMI. Can I run the multiple cables that far? How about speakers, the right speakers are going to be about 20' longer then the left speakers. Is 14g enough or should I step up to 12g? Should the speaker wires be the same length? I still haven't figured out how to mount the rear speakers, nothing is making sense yet :(

Thank you for the help!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The best set up in the new house is separating the TV and speakers from the equipment by about 25-30'. Receiver is only S-video, TIVO and B-Ray both obviously have HDMI. Can I run the multiple cables that far? How about speakers, the right speakers are going to be about 20' longer then the left speakers. Is 14g enough or should I step up to 12g? Should the speaker wires be the same length? I still haven't figured out how to mount the rear speakers, nothing is making sense yet :(

Thank you for the help!
14AWG is probably fine if they are 8 Ohm speakers, but I'd probably put in 12 just in case, to be future proof.

You shouldn't have a problem running those cables that far.

Take a look at this thread too:

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57112

O

oppman99

Senior Audioholic
I second the 12 gauge solution. The 20' difference in wire length will not create enough of a difference in resistance between the speaker wires for anyone to notice.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I second the 12 gauge solution. The 20' difference in wire length will not create enough of a difference in resistance between the speaker wires for anyone to notice.
Neither will the extra gauge. 25'-30' is overkill for low to moderate power but if high power is a possibility for sometime down the road, go for it.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis