Movies..so is Arcam and ML the way to go?

1.21Gigawatts!!

1.21Gigawatts!!

Audiophyte
Hello everyone,

This is my first posting and if I'm posting to the wrong place, hopefully I'll be moved to the right one. I have learned a lot from this site and thought I would try to get some insight on a ask a question I have.

I went my local dealer in the hopes of upgrading my system to "nicer" equipment. I am REALLY into DVD's, movies, etc. So much so that I already have the TV for them, but I'm lacking a little in the reciever and speaker department when it comes the full potential, or at least better potential, then I have now to enjoy my movies currently.

So, I was considering the Arcam AVR 250 ($1599/pr...before we talk a better price). When it comes to speakers I was considering Martin Logan's Montage ($1495/per...before we talk a better price) for my two fronts. I'm considering the receiver and speakers because they are in my price range and I was told by the dealer that they are going to work very well for movie buffs and are good movie-quality equipment.

My question is if anyone is aware of any possibe componet(s) and speakers in that price range that may better suited for movie's, DVD's, etc., like myself. I'm aware that speakers are a, "sit down and listen to decide what you like", kind of thing. But I'm just trying to get a feel if Martin Logan's are even in the ball park for speakers that a considered as a good "movie-watching" speaker. Same question applies when it comes to Arcam receiver.

Any insight or opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

Thanks,
APS

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
I suggest that you also check out the following brands:

Phase Technology
Klipsch (Reference Series only, especially the RF-7)
Definitive Technology
Axiom (internet direct brand, but you can find people on their forums to help you audition)
Paradigm

You might also look into the offerings from Denon and Yamaha for receivers. They tend to have more up-to-date features than Arcam or other more "hi-fi" brands. The call is up to you though.

1.21Gigawatts!!

1.21Gigawatts!!

Audiophyte
Thanks for the reply Joxvan.

Quick question...why would you suggest Klipsch? I have heard the of brand name, but am unfamilar with what type of track record/quality they have. Do you think that they are better quality then Martin Logans?

In addition, if you had to chose any type of speakers in the my price range, out of the brands you listed, what do you think would be the best?

Any insight would be great...thanks in advance for the help.

X

Xsound

Full Audioholic
You have chosen some very nice equipment. However the question you asked is to focus primarily on movie viewing experience. That may change things a little.

The encouragement to look at offerings from Denon, Yamaha, and I would add Pioneer Elite, is good advice. some would argue that the Arcam stuff is going to be strongest in a setting where audio is of more importance than movies. I believe that you would get better processing power from the Yamaha, Pioneer, Denon arena.

The Yammie RX-V2600, the Pioneer Elite VSX-74txi, and the Denon Avr-3806 are really strong receivers in the same price range (or less), and offer things like HDMI up-conversion etc.

Martin Logan make some awesome speakers, but again you ask about what's best for the overall movie experience. You have heard of Klipsch before, but aren't too familiar with them. With their high efficiency, the reference line will give a great movie experience. I would also encourage you to check out the new Silver RS line from Monitor Audio. Not only are they awesome speakers, but they are dang good looking as well. Some of the on-line manufacturers such as Axiom have speakers that excell as home theater speakers as well.

With the budget you are working with, you have many good options available. Be sure to do some reading, some asking for recommendations, and lots and lots of listening. That's the real test!

X

1.21Gigawatts!!

1.21Gigawatts!!

Audiophyte
Xsound...that's exactly what I was looking for. Some info from those that know a little more about what type of components might work best. I really appreciate the feedback and will check into your suggestions.

Thanks again.

APS

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
1.21Gigawatts!! said:
Thanks for the reply Joxvan.

Quick question...why would you suggest Klipsch? I have heard the of brand name, but am unfamilar with what type of track record/quality they have. Do you think that they are better quality then Martin Logans?

In addition, if you had to chose any type of speakers in the my price range, out of the brands you listed, what do you think would be the best?

Any insight would be great...thanks in advance for the help.
Klipsch is the oldest speaker maker in the US. They have over 50 years of herritage behind their name. The speaker that made them famous was the coner-placed Klipschorn. The reason I recommend Klipsch is that they play very loudly with little power. Take the RF-7 for instance: it will play 102dB (1 meter away) with only 1 watt of power. At 10 watts continuous, they will fill a HUGE room with crystal clear sound. Martin Logans are also very nice, but they're more of power hogs. Klipsch also utilizes a horn tweeter, the type of tweeter found in movie theaters and large venues. Many times pro-audio stuff doesn't sound the best because it's designed to fill stadiums with sound, thus the quality must be comprimised. But Klispch doesn't do this with their RF-7.

Movies also demand dynamic sound, something a horn speaker excels in. You should listen as much as you can with speakers, but I honestly think that you will love the Klipsch sound.

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
Well I know its below your price point. But the Acoustech line is similar to the Klipsch reference line.
And they have a very Cinema sound.
Link Here - http://www.audaud.com/audaud/MAR04/component/comp1.html
And here - http://www.acousticsounddesign.com/index.cfm?Fuseaction=products&p=s&keyword=bic

However, I would splurge on a better subwoofer than what comes with the package. It is a good sub. But not in line with some kick-butt subs....

I also agree on Xsound's recommendation "The Yammie RX-V2600, the Pioneer Elite VSX-74txi, and the Denon Avr-3806 are really strong receivers in the same price range (or less), and offer things like HDMI up-conversion etc."

Personally I would go with the Elite. But the others may actually be better some ways...

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis