most 'sentimental' speaker

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
Ok, kind of along the lines of recent threads, 'best measuring speaker', 'worst speaker you've owned', and such, I was wondering if there were others with a speaker they were sentimentally attached to for some reason, even if the particular speaker may not be otherwise extroardinary, or even possess severe flaws. I'm sure many of you, like me, have some audio pack-rat tendencies, developing irrational attachment to the damndest gear, so this could be interesting.

I'll kick it off and disclose my particular sentimental attachment. I won't defend them against the haters, but welcome discussion of these, as well as your own, particular favorites. Be kind, don't flame me:

Klipsch forte ii.

So what is that old pair of speakers you just couldn't bear to part with?

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
I was bummed when my Vandersteen 2CE Sig's went bye bye. I loved those speakers. Fortunately I am happier with what I have now.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I have a pair of Jamo J-101 that I don't use but I don't really want to part with. It's totally irrational but I bought them shortly after we took on the line and since we were their second dealer in the US, I like to think we played a pretty big part in their success. I also enjoyed the times we spent with the Jamo people.

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
Dynaudio Audience 70 towers. No place for them, they collect dust, but, don't want to sell them.

Moutee

Moutee

Junior Audioholic
B&W Matrix 805 and Matrix HTM. They were given to me by my boss, and they sound great for their age. I don't think I'll ever get rid of them.

edit: ...Hence my avatar. :D

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
I don't own these anymore but I do miss these speakers (Fourier-ADS-JSE Infinite Slope) There was just something about them.

T

tom67

Full Audioholic
Large Advents

From the early 70s......a thing of beauty for that time...I refoamed them in the 90s and gave them to a loving home....

Shock

Shock

Audioholic General
Super old Altec Series 7's i got from my father. Drivers have pencil holes in them, but I just can't seem to get rid of them.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Super old Altec Series 7's i got from my father. Drivers have pencil holes in them, but I just can't seem to get rid of them.
So, fix the pencil holes and use them.

Shock

Shock

Audioholic General
So, fix the pencil holes and use them.
There is more hole than speaker cone really, and all the dust caps are pushed in. My old brothers went crazy one day when they were young. I could only imagine what my dad did when he saw that.

Honestly I've been meaning to just buy some inexpensive drivers and use them on my bedroom TV with this ancient Technics stereo amp but I've been lazy for the last couple of years.

W

wrunow

Enthusiast
I have 3 sets that I am not using because of lack of space, one is a pair of
ADS L420's that I bought in college in the early 80's and were my first "real" speakers. I also have a pair of JBL L166 Horizons that can really rock the house. Just the other day I also broke down a second system in the house and moved a pair of Yamaha NS1000m that I received for a birthday present from my wife 4 or 5 years ago after she saw me salivating over them in a pawn shop.

I don't think I could bare to give up any of these sets, they will collect dust till I get more rooms.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis