F

Fungui

Enthusiast
My roommate just brought a Morelli Cinema HDX-55 Projector and Screen home from work. Someone claiming to work for a local home theater store gave a long story on how/why it was so cheap ($300 total). It claims to project at 1080p, with 3d capabilities. So far we have not had time to completely set it up screen and all, but initial tests seem fairly positive. Has anyone heard about this before? I was worried that he was scammed, but the unit does work and connecting it to my desktop allowed me to select 1080p. It definitely is nowhere near any of the high end projectors, but for $300 it seems to be worth the money so far.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
Well, I guess they've added projectors to the white van speaker scam.

F

Fungui

Enthusiast
Well, I guess they've added projectors to the white van speaker scam.
Uh oh, so do these types of items break quickly or something? I was worried when he brought it in and I had no idea what brand it was. I guess at this point we will just hope that the lamp lasts for a while. It did come with a second lamp, not that that will matter if they only last a couple days/weeks each.

Last edited:
its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
It's not that they break quickly - it's that they are junk and yall got ripped off.

dkane360

dkane360

Audioholic Field Marshall
Yeah no kidding, I was surprised that he went ahead and bought it "out of a van." But I suppose it is a learning experience. Definitely usable, but NOT 1080p :p
The only van I trust:

:D

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
This was a scam and your roommate is a sucker.

It claims to project at 1080p, with 3d capabilities.
No, it certainly does not!

It claims it PROCESSES 1080p. That's a big difference from having an actual resolution of 1920x1080 which is what a 1080p projector does.

Likewise, what does '3d capabilities' mean? Does that mean that if you look at the projector with your eyes it appears to be 3d? Or does it mean that it accepts 3D Blu-ray Disc frame packed video signals and shows them on screen properly?

EDIT: HA-HA!!! I actually looked at their product page closer - It shows 'red and green' anaglyph glasses. TVs made 40+ years ago are compatible with anaglyph 3d. Of course, almost nothing in this world uses anaglyph 3d because of how shi....y it looks. So, not a 'scam' but a way to sucker people in. (end edit)

Really, it does NOT say for sure on this stuff... Go to their product page and take a look.

As is typical of the white van scam, the MSRP for the product and specifications are listed as being far higher than worthwhile. This is cheap Chinese imported junk which does not come anywhere near the specifications which have been listed. The actual specifications are not listed for that projector, and I strongly suggest you contact them and try to return the projector... or just get ANY service and support help at all.

What's that? You can't return the projector? You can't actually find any place that sells replacement lamps? (yeah, you BETTER hope those lamps last a while!) The customer service number doesn't work? Or doesn't even exist?

Epson, Panasonic, JVC, Sony... There is a reason why you have heard of those companies.

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
This was a scam and your roommate is a sucker.

No, it certainly does not!

It claims it PROCESSES 1080p. That's a big difference from having an actual resolution of 1920x1080 which is what a 1080p projector does.

Likewise, what does '3d capabilities' mean? Does that mean that if you look at the projector with your eyes it appears to be 3d? Or does it mean that it accepts 3D Blu-ray Disc frame packed video signals and shows them on screen properly?

EDIT: HA-HA!!! I actually looked at their product page closer - It shows 'red and green' anaglyph glasses. TVs made 40+ years ago are compatible with anaglyph 3d. Of course, almost nothing in this world uses anaglyph 3d because of how shi....y it looks. So, not a 'scam' but a way to sucker people in. (end edit)

Really, it does NOT say for sure on this stuff... Go to their product page and take a look.

As is typical of the white van scam, the MSRP for the product and specifications are listed as being far higher than worthwhile. This is cheap Chinese imported junk which does not come anywhere near the specifications which have been listed. The actual specifications are not listed for that projector, and I strongly suggest you contact them and try to return the projector... or just get ANY service and support help at all.

What's that? You can't return the projector? You can't actually find any place that sells replacement lamps? (yeah, you BETTER hope those lamps last a while!) The customer service number doesn't work? Or doesn't even exist?

Epson, Panasonic, JVC, Sony... There is a reason why you have heard of those companies.
Wow what a thrashing, I think "uneducated in AV gear" sounds some what better than "sucker" A complete lack of knowledge in this hobby could lead people astray in such a way that they just might make a mistake in a purchase. Oh yeah OP welcome to Audioholics :eek:

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Wow what a thrashing, I think "uneducated in AV gear" sounds some what better than "sucker" A complete lack of knowledge in this hobby could lead people astray in such a way that they just might make a mistake in a purchase. Oh yeah OP welcome to Audioholics :eek:
Uneducated is what one is before they do research. A sucker is the guy who is uneducated and doesn't bother to do the ten minutes of research that is necessary to find out the basics.

Really, not meant to be offensive, but he got played as a sucker, and he bit into it hook line and $$$.

I'm not happy he got caught in this normal white van scam, but I hope that he learns from the mistake and that he takes ten minutes to do additional research on future purchases.

A good sign of a scam is when you go to the website, they have NO phone number, NO contact information, no way to really get in touch with them. There are no manuals, and no 'product support' sections. You get no address so there is no way to file a complaint to anyone about them.

A quality company always has their phone number available and will typically have good 'support' sections on their website.

Hopefully it won't happen ever again to this person, and anyone who is reading these forums or is doing a bit of research on that company.

Soccerkid830

Soccerkid830

Full Audioholic
But if you look closely on the product page, they clearly use B&W's alongside the projection area. So it HAS to be good!

And look how brightly lit that room is and how good the picture is! How could one go wrong??:D:eek:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis