More questions....ripping to WAV

avnetguy

avnetguy

Audioholic Chief
Don't get me wrong sholling, I hope flac gets universal support but until it does WAV is a viable option for 99% of the people. As far as 24 bit music goes, if that's what you think you need all the power to ya but I'll stick with my 16 bit compressed and uncompressed music which is more than enough for my needs.

Steve

M

modman

Audioholic
Follow Up..and Questions

Okay, based on comments in this thread and others, I'm going to compare WAV to FLAC, using WMP, Winamp, and EAC...to see what format and software work best for me.

Question...my Yamaha A-1000 only has a USB slot on the front panel. I'm not crazy about having to connect and unconnect it when I want to play ripped music from my HTPC. If I use my HTPC to serve up the WAV or FLAC files to the receiver...do I have to use USB, or can I do it using HMDI?

Thanks

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
Okay, based on comments in this thread and others, I'm going to compare WAV to FLAC, using WMP, Winamp, and EAC...to see what format and software work best for me.

Question...my Yamaha A-1000 only has a USB slot on the front panel. I'm not crazy about having to connect and unconnect it when I want to play ripped music from my HTPC. If I use my HTPC to serve up the WAV or FLAC files to the receiver...do I have to use USB, or can I do it using HMDI?

Thanks
Use HDMI to connect the HTPC to the receiver. USB is only used when you are going from a plain external USB hard drive instead of the HTPC.

M

modman

Audioholic
Use HDMI to connect the HTPC to the receiver. USB is only used when you are going from a plain external USB hard drive instead of the HTPC.
Thanks...and that signal, coming over the HDMI, will be the digital signal WAV or FLAC that my receiver can read? It won't be the signal decoded by the PC's sound card?

M

modman

Audioholic
Wow...I seem to have a lot of questions...:p

I think there was a hint of this in a previous post...but is there ripping program that will simultaneously rip my CD's to WAV (or FLAC) and mp3 formats at the same time, or sequentially without having to be told?

thanks

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks...and that signal, coming over the HDMI, will be the digital signal WAV or FLAC that my receiver can read? It won't be the signal decoded by the PC's sound card?
The audio player (Foobar, Mediamonkey, etc) will decode the WAV or flac and the PC will then send it digitally to the receiver over HDMI and the receiver's DACs will convert the signal it to analog. That's usually the best way to do it.

M

modman

Audioholic
The audio player (Foobar, Mediamonkey, etc) will decode the WAV or flac and the PC will then send it digitally to the receiver over HDMI and the receiver's DACs will convert the signal it to analog. That's usually the best way to do it.
Will I be able to see the files/tags on my TV screen? I was hoping to be able to search the collection from the listening position.

thanks

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
Will I be able to see the files/tags on my TV screen? I was hoping to be able to search the collection from the listening position.

thanks
Yes you can. Your TV will be the display for your HTPC. This is exactly how I use mine. You'll just want to set the HTPC's screen resolution to match your TV's.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis