More impressed with DVD now...

J

Jedi2016

Full Audioholic
So a couple days ago I finally pick up my new TV.. 47 inches of 1080p goodness. This was an upgrade from a fifteen-year-old 27" SDTV that didn't even have S-video inputs.. just composite (one) and RF.

I can't believe I've been missing out on so much all these years with this huge rack of DVDs that I own. I've always figured "SD Source on SD TV, this is as good as it gets".. Man, was I wrong.

I knew I was going to see a bit of improvement, since the screen is so much larger, and I'm actually watching them in their full resolution now, what with anamorphic widescreen and all. And I knew there would be a bit of improvement in color and such going from yellow composite to RGB component.

But holy crap... I never knew there was actually this much detail on these discs... all along it had been there, and I never saw it.

I see the flaws for the first time, too, but that's a minor thing. When reviewers would talk about edge enhancement and soft pictures, I could never see it before, they all looked about the same. But most of the DVDs I own are pristine and look absolutely fabulous. When I was watching Star Wars: Episode III yesterday, I had to keep reminding myself that it was just a DVD and that I wasn't really watching it in high definition, but it damn near looked like I was. I could imagine any guests I had over would probably think they were watching it in HD, and I'd have to bring up the input tab on the TV to show them where it says "720x480i" (as I mentioned in the other thread in the hardware forum, my TV seems to do a slightly better job at deinterlacing than my DVD player does, so I leave the player set at "Normal" most of the time).

I just wanted to get that off my chest.. hehe. I'm currently in the process of working my way through all the big visual pictures in my DVD library. Probably move on to LOTR this afternoon. :)

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
You're watching your DVD collection upconverted to faux 1920x1080. Digital televisions only have one resolution they can display material at, and every source is internally upconverted to this resolution.

To watch DVD in its true resolution you'll need to buy a 16x9 EDTV.

But thats kinda waste of money ;)

J

Jedi2016

Full Audioholic
They look just fine as they are.. hehe. The scaler in the TV appears to be quite good, as is it's deinterlacing/inverse 3:2 pulldown. :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis