Monster PowerCenter AND Iso Transformer??

B

beyondesign

Enthusiast
First off, let me apologize for creating yet another thread on the ground loop issue. However, I think there are a couple subtle differences that make it worthy of posting. Thanks for understanding ...

Soon after hooking up my new receiver I noticed a hum, but only at -15db (min = -81db) and above. It gets louder with increased volume. I recently bought a Monster HTS 3500 MkII thinking it would "solve" the problem not knowing anything about the ground loop issue at the time (but thanks to Audioholics I think I know what I'm up against :D ). As I'm sure you already guessed, it didn't work even with all chassis grounded to one another.

Anyhow, my question is this: would there be any benefit to keeping the setup the way it is and adding an isolation transformer (ex. Tripp Lite IS1000) between the AC and the PowerCenter? Or would the PowerCenter be rendered useless?

And, just thinking out loud here, I wonder if a unit like Powervar's ABCG1000-11 (Ground Guard series) would be more appropriate (versus the IS1000)? Or overkill? By what I've read, an isolation transformer would be adequate.

Thanks, all!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis