Monster Lawsuit Article in Wall Street Journal

J

jz4h3m

Audiophyte
Found over at the Polk Forum:

Interesting article in today's (4/4/09) Wall Street Journal about the Monster Cable lawsuit against Monster Mini Golf franchisess

online.wsj.com/article/SB123869022704882969.htm - You will have to paste this URL since I can't post links.

The Scariest Monster of All Sues for Trademark Infringement
Fancy Audio-Cable Outfit Defends Its Brands; A Mini Golf Course Fights Back

I was pleased to see last paragraph: "Monster Cable's Mr. Lee says the company also received at least 200 angry consumer complaints. After speaking with the Vitaglianos, he decided to drop the lawsuit, withdraw his company's opposition to Monster Mini Golf's trademark applications and pay up to $200,000 of their legal expenses."

But I will never buy anything from Monster Cable

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Too bad Wallstreet didn't mention Audioholics was the avenue in which the complaint against Monster was launched :(

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
Too bad Wallstreet didn't mention Audioholics was the avenue in which the complaint against Monster was launched :(
Agreed, and that credit would have been well deserved. Without the support of Blue Jeans Cable (Kurt Denke) and Audioholics that whole situation I don't think would have turned out as good as it did.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Nice to know I was one of the 200 angry customers. :D

AH is linked in the comments.

M

MonsterMiniGolf

Junior Audioholic
Response to Gene....

Gene,
We were interviewed for over an hour for that piece, and did indeed credit Audioholics as the "Home Base" for the effort, as well as directing him straight to Audioholics for the best chronology of how the events unfolded from the beginning.
He must have read through your forums though, because if you notice, he even managed to track down one of your members, and get a quote about his posts.
We only got a couple of lines too out of the mountain of info we gave him, but all in all, he clearly did a lot of research and interviewed a lot of people, ultimately writing an honest, unbiased and factual piece.
It seems to have created another small swell of interest, and believe me, we never forget to mention your wonderful site and it's wonderful members, without whom, we would not have accomplished what we did.
Further, I think a lot of people will come straight to Audioholics if anything like this ever happens to someone else. If you can imagine, even if you are a layman and become embroiled in a similar battle, a Google search will quickly point to Audioholics, where the audio community remains waiting.
Again, we cannot thank you enough.
-P

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Gene,
We were interviewed for over an hour for that piece, and did indeed credit Audioholics as the "Home Base" for the effort, as well as directing him straight to Audioholics for the best chronology of how the events unfolded from the beginning.
He must have read through your forums though, because if you notice, he even managed to track down one of your members, and get a quote about his posts.
We only got a couple of lines too out of the mountain of info we gave him, but all in all, he clearly did a lot of research and interviewed a lot of people, ultimately writing an honest, unbiased and factual piece.
It seems to have created another small swell of interest, and believe me, we never forget to mention your wonderful site and it's wonderful members, without whom, we would not have accomplished what we did.
Further, I think a lot of people will come straight to Audioholics if anything like this ever happens to someone else. If you can imagine, even if you are a layman and become embroiled in a similar battle, a Google search will quickly point to Audioholics, where the audio community remains waiting.
Again, we cannot thank you enough.
-P
If anything this whole thing makes me want to visit one of your golf courses some day. Keep making it fun for the children. ;)

avliner

avliner

Audioholic Chief
Gene,

as you know, the killer always returns to the crime scene...

It's hard to believe that the law just allows anybody to "grab" any English word and trademark it normally, but that seems to be true, unfortunately.

Shame on you Monster Lee; you'll never get my money again, I bet you!

Regards, Chuck

Ito

Ito

Full Audioholic
There are words for me to describe how I feel about this company, but I don't believe I can use them here :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis