Monster has gone TOO FAR this time

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
I know this is Monster's entire business model. Make something look fancy, make up some good sounding techno-marketing schpiel for the non-informed consumer, and jack up the price.

The only problem is, this particular market contains a large percentage of people who DO know the story with respect to cables of this type, so it seems pretty stupid to me.
Plop it into some robust, flashy plastic packaging that needs a pair of scissors, pocket knife some rubber gloves (not so you don't cut yourself with the knife but to avoid the sharp plastic! ;) ) and add a lot of elbow grease to pry the two pieces of plastic packaging apart to access the cable and some consumers will think the product as superior.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Come on now...you know exactly why. It's MARKETING at its finest. Slap on a name like 'high speed' or 'deluxe' or any similar crap and in the average consumer's mind it is superior to the non-deluxe version and they'll pay a premium price.

Ever see the commercial for a fast food restaurant where the manager type hands a burger to the employee to give to the customer and the employee says 'wait, he ordered the deluxe meal'? The manager puts a toothpick with a little flag on it in the burger and proclaims 'now it IS deluxe'. Monster has been making a fortune with the exact same idea.

It looks like nothing more than a cable designed to meet CAT6 specs, which is nice were it not so expensive, but ultimately of no real value at this time because there are no 10 Gbs routers or network cards available and even if there were that would only buy you a speed increase between other devices on the same network in your home. When those packets hit the WAN interface, such as the cable modem, they still only go out at a measly 10 Mbs or even slower.

So who is the better marketer of their goods, Bose or Monster? :eek: :D

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Good question^^^

My brother's wife(ok sister in-law:p) wants a bose system(sounds awesome and looks soo nice....her words:rolleyes:) and my daughter the other day bought a monster i pod cable for her car. If we can't alter the minds of the people around us, then who is going to help the other 99.9%:(. They make it easy and people like that.

Last edited:

1hagop

Audioholic Intern
From Tommy Boy

"Because they know all they sold ya was a guaranteed piece of (****). That's all it is, isn't it? Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will. I got spare time."

Monster and Bose marketing strategy... what is said is that it works!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
My brother's wife(ok sister in-law:p) wants a bose system(sounds awesome and looks soo nice....her words:rolleyes:) and my daughter the other day bought a monster i pod cable for her car.
These people are their target audience and they know it. People who won't do research and will buy solely on name.

If we can't alter the minds of the people around us, then who is going to help the other 99.9%:(. They make it easy and people like that.
Inception :D

Serj22

Serj22

Full Audioholic
What if monster started making high priced energy drinks?

J

jamie2112

Banned
M&b

Too bad that we let up on that one company that I wont mention anymore because,well,they just dont even deserve any letting up.We had him for a minute and then ........:eek:..........well I guess we should just inform more people of the truth in the matter of both said companies and that is ,all they have is great marketing...heck ,the spray on hair for men made a boatload of money on a bunch of poor suckers.I would say in the audio world there are 37.4 suckers born every second.If ya think I am lyin look at both these companies......:eek: they are doing well and thats sad!

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
Too bad that we let up on that one company that I wont mention anymore because,well,they just dont even deserve any letting up.We had him for a minute and then ........:eek:..........well I guess we should just inform more people of the truth in the matter of both said companies and that is ,all they have is great marketing...heck ,the spray on hair for men made a boatload of money on a bunch of poor suckers.I would say in the audio world there are 37.4 suckers born every second.If ya think I am lyin look at both these companies......:eek: they are doing well and thats sad!

I never laughed so hard when I first read your reference to Bose as Bozo speakers. Classic!

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
High performance ethernet cable? I saw these at the store the other day while looking for a data cable. These guys really are complete morons.

http://www.monstercable.com/productdisplay.asp?pin=4697
You appear to be mistaking them for their customers. Your comment about them should be regarding their honesty and integrity. If they are making money doing what they do, as a business, how can you fault their intelligence? Welcome to capitalism! The point is to make money, not anything else.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
"It's easy to make a lot of money. If all you want is to make a lot of money." - Citizen Kane :)

1hagop

Audioholic Intern
Welcome to capitalism! The point is to make money, not anything else.
I agree, I love capitalism. Is it Monster's fault or is it ignorant customers? What is nice is places like this where a customer can educate themselves for free. It cost me nothing to register and read posts by people who know the industry and have only one drive behind them, to help others. I appreciate that.
I also think that it has a lot to do with people being able to gloat. I have X receiver and Y speakers and Z amplifiers, and W subwoofers all connected with the best, fastest and most premium monster cables.... They are the best because I paid a lot of money for them so they must be great. Just like the people who bought 42" plasma's at Costco for $4000 when they first came out. Are they better then the 50" 1080P plasma LG A-stock(not a gloat, just an example) I just picked up for $850, free shipping and no tax? Nope. The difference is this, I am patient, and do my research, it took me two months to buy that tv. Spec it out, compare, read, review, then watch prices. Same with cables and everything else I buy.
My monoprice cables have never let me down and I love them. I can order them and there are at my house overnight for the same price as USPS.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
I agree, I love capitalism. Is it Monster's fault or is it ignorant customers? ...
Those two are not mutually exclusive. If someone commits fraud, is it not fraud if the person who is being defrauded is a fool?

1hagop

Audioholic Intern
Those two are not mutually exclusive. If someone commits fraud, is it not fraud if the person who is being defrauded is a fool?
True, fraud is fraud. I forgot what the main focus of this thread was. No matter fool or genius, breaking the law is breaking the law (wasn't that a song?).

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Well technically speaking as certain ethernet cables do run at different frequencies you wouldn't be lying if you sold a cable that was a "High Speed" ethernet cable. With that aside I find Monster Cable shallow and pedantic. :)
What's mostly in use now is 1000BASE-T (Gigabit ethernet)

And well you have 10 Gb ethernet coming up for those who need extreme speed, and I guess cables may be more expensive due to much higher bandwidth requirements... hardware will increase in price, of course....

http://www.10gea.org/10-gigabit-ethernet-technology-overview-whitepaper.htm

What monster is up to here is too weird and just a scam :eek:

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
here's a screenshot of the page i linked earlier:

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
If I spin this cable over my head really fast, will it make a better whooshing sound than the cable I have now?:confused:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis