Monoprice Monolith Unveils 10", 12" and 15" THX Ported Subwoofers

mardukes

mardukes

Enthusiast
Correct. The Monolith could only BETTER the Outlaw. It would take 3 or more to have a best.

Last edited:
Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Any impressions on the output below 20hz?
Dubplate
Attached in this reply is the frequency spectrum of commonly played instruments. As you can see, musical content doesn't have much in common with 20hz and below. Since I only play music, well, I couldn't tell you if it did well at 20hz and below because for most music there's nothing there but rumbles and chest thumps.

For certain dubstep titles, ( I see your avatar name is dubplate so you may care) they get down there artificially and occasionally. While I can't offer up any measured proof, on the few dub step tunes I have it gets all the way down much better than the Klipsch it replaced. It is a genuine chest massager on dubstep tunes. I can't use it to mess up my hair, but, it does give a nice massage.

D

DubPlate

Audioholic Intern
Dubplate
Attached in this reply is the frequency spectrum of commonly played instruments. As you can see, musical content doesn't have much in common with 20hz and below. Since I only play music, well, I couldn't tell you if it did well at 20hz and below because for most music there's nothing there but rumbles and chest thumps.

For certain dubstep titles, ( I see your avatar name is dubplate so you may care) they get down there artificially and occasionally. While I can't offer up any measured proof, on the few dub step tunes I have it gets all the way down much better than the Klipsch it replaced. It is a genuine chest massager on dubstep tunes. I can't use it to mess up my hair, but, it does give a nice massage.

Thanks for the the very informative graph and reply. I do listen to quite a bit of of bass heavy electronic music. But what I am really interested in is a subwoofer to round out my system to at least 20hz for movies. Currently I have a klipsch R-112sw, rated at 24hz. I am interested in the monoprice 10 inch, but only if it can best the klipch.

Would the monolith 10inch our perform the
klipsch R-112sw? I am asking because you mentioned that your purchase replaced a klipsch

Thanks in advance.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Thanks for the the very informative graph and reply. I do listen to quite a bit of of bass heavy electronic music. But what I am really interested in is a subwoofer to round out my system to at least 20hz for movies. Currently I have a klipsch R-112sw, rated at 24hz. I am interested in the monoprice 10 inch, but only if it can best the klipch.

Would the monolith 10inch our perform the
klipsch R-112sw? I am asking because you mentioned that your purchase replaced a klipsch

Thanks in advance.
I have owned (2) Klipsch subs over the last decade. I have also read probably 2 dozen or more articles on this forum and others regarding Klipsch subs and competitive offerings. I can say from my personal experience, the Monolith is head and shoulders better than the Klipsch. Any way you want to slice i t.

From a research point of view (common opinions from reading up on the subject) I have yet to find anyone who is conversant on subs (there are plenty on this forum who are sub gurus) that would recommend a Klipsch sub. @shadyJ , @Pogre are both frequent contributors here. As are others. I do not believe either of these sub guru's would recommend the Klipsch against any of the modern competitors like Hsu, SVS, or now with the new release, Monolith. And there are definitely more great subs than these 3.

Simply start a conversation with @Pogre or @shadyJ and simply ask them what they think. I think the forum tool calls it a conversation up there at the top right corner. They eat and breath subs. They will chime in I'm sure.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
From a research point of view (common opinions from reading up on the subject) I have yet to find anyone who is conversant on subs (there are plenty on this forum who are sub gurus) that would recommend a Klipsch sub.
Never say never!:p:D

From Tom V. (PSA subwoofer designer):
The new klipsch 15 is actually very good. It does really well >25hz IIRC. You'll give up a little under that but it can be found for $700ish(shipped). If the budget is hardcapped at 700/1400(duals) I'm not sure if someone could do better---at least in terms of headroom >25hz.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/home-theater-subwoofer-recommendation.97233/#post-1110332

This was December, 2015, so pricing/competition may have changed a bit.

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
Looks like I've got some homework to do before replacing my pair of Definitive Technology ProSub 800's. :eek:

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Klipsch subs aren't bad when you get them on a discount. They can be quite a bit better than other large speaker manufacturer subs. The RW-12d was a very good sub for the price, back in the day. The Klipsch THX subs could be had for good prices, and those were good performers. But at MSRP, Klipsch subs are not a great value when compared to some of the manufacture direct brands.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Never say never!:p:D

From Tom V. (PSA subwoofer designer):

https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/home-theater-subwoofer-recommendation.97233/#post-1110332

This was December, 2015, so pricing/competition may have changed a bit.
you got me. I plead guilty. the evidence speaks for itself.:(
Although I plead to the jury that I didn't use the word "never".
There are several types of absolutes I really try very hard to stay away from. Not just here on the AH, but in any kind of conversation. Words like "never, always, perfect, useless, and even Bose" are things I try to avoid because there's almost always an exception. Like some writer from two years ago who liked a 15" Klipsch when we were talking about 10" subs. :D

I ran my Klipsch subs for almost a decade. They don't stink. They aren't "bad".
I am merely suggesting, in as milk-toast a manner as possible, that there are better choices for the buck.
Even shadyj used the same words "Klipsch subs aren't bad......if you can get them cheap enough".

I shall hang my head in shame the rest of the day........

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Pretty sure @shadyJ is going to put out a review for these guys at some point. Not like it takes a lot of time and effort or anything...

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
you got me. I plead guilty. the evidence speaks for itself.:(
Although I plead to the jury that I didn't use the word "never".
There are several types of absolutes I really try very hard to stay away from. Not just here on the AH, but in any kind of conversation. Words like "never, always, perfect, useless, and even Bose" are things I try to avoid because there's almost always an exception. Like some writer from two years ago who liked a 15" Klipsch when we were talking about 10" subs. :D

I ran my Klipsch subs for almost a decade. They don't stink. They aren't "bad".
I am merely suggesting, in as milk-toast a manner as possible, that there are better choices for the buck.
Even shadyj used the same words "Klipsch subs aren't bad......if you can get them cheap enough".

I shall hang my head in shame the rest of the day........
My memory can get pretty sketchy, but when the part owner of an ID sub company give a shout out to another manufacturer (and especially not expecting it for Klipsch subs), it got my attention.

So, if anyone has a Klipsch 15, it sounds like a pretty good sub for music and probably not too terrible for HT!

Now put your head back down and finish your penance!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis