Monoprice Component & S/PDIF Digital Coax/Optical Toslink Audio to HDMI Converter Review

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
With changing technology, people often come up with problems that require very specialized solutions. If you need a product like the Monoprice Component & S/PDIF Digital Coax/Optical Toslink Audio to HDMI Converter, you really need it. While the unit isn't without its quirks, it does perform (mostly) as advertised. If you're tired of having to switch inputs on your display but don't want to upgrade your TV/receiver, the Component & S/PDIF Digital Coax/Optical Toslink Audio to HDMI Converter might be just what you're looking for.

Discuss "Monoprice Component & S/PDIF Digital Coax/Optical Toslink Audio to HDMI Converter Review" here. Read the article.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
With changing technology, people often come up with problems that require very specialized solutions. If you need a product like the Monoprice Component & S/PDIF Digital Coax/Optical Toslink Audio to HDMI Converter, you really need it. While the unit isn't without its quirks, it does perform (mostly) as advertised. If you're tired of having to switch inputs on your display but don't want to upgrade your TV/receiver, the Component & S/PDIF Digital Coax/Optical Toslink Audio to HDMI Converter might be just what you're looking for.

Discuss "Monoprice Component & S/PDIF Digital Coax/Optical Toslink Audio to HDMI Converter Review" here. Read the article.
Not sure i get the point of this device?

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
It converts your component video + digital audio to HDMI. It would mean not having to change inputs on a tv if you are using an HDMI switch, or if your receiver doesn't upconvert component to HDMI.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
It converts your component video + digital audio to HDMI. It would mean not having to change inputs on a tv if you are using an HDMI switch, or if your receiver doesn't upconvert component to HDMI.
ahh now I get you.

D

DEIMOS280

Audiophyte
:confused: Will this work to hook up a ps3 (hdmi out) to the converter, then run component to your tv and still do 1080p?? or will it only convert component TO hdmi?

M

meballard

Audiophyte
That only converts from component to HDMI. HDMI to component does exist, but it's quite a bit more expensive (but Monoprice does carry it).

I've found the devices to be quite useful myself. Originally to convert from a Component switch to HDMI and not need to run the larger component cables. Later to simplify my system and get rid of the need for switches (I have enough input on my Yamaha receiver, but not enough component inputs, so I used 2 of these and now I have enough inputs), and all switching is handled by my receiver, plus a reduction of cable clutter (short multi piece cables to the converter, then a single HDMI to the receiver).

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
So how does a HDMI to component device deal with HDCP?

M

meballard

Audiophyte
So how does a HDMI to component device deal with HDCP?
Purely from a technology perspective, it's not that difficult. If something can be displayed on a TV, it can be converted to another format.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis