Monoprice, bluejeans, or acoustic research??

S

seedybrick

Enthusiast
need to get a bunch of cables

rca, s-video, optical, component

i keep hearing about monoprice and yet they are SO MUCH cheaper than the others????

only need about 3 foot for each cable

your recommendations are greatly appreciated!
cheers! :)

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I have used Monoprice and they are nice, inexpensive cables, go for their upper end ones. BJ may be a little nicer but either will be fine.

Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

Audioholic Field Marshall
I've bought and used cables from all three. BJC has the best quality and looks out of the three, IMO, but they all work equally well. I couldn't tell any difference between them when hooked up.

Just figure what you want and how you'll use it. If you want a low price, get Monoprice. If you want something that looks great to show off (will be seen) and appearance is important get Blue Jeans. If you want somewhere inbetween, get the acoustic research. Again, IME they all work equally well.

Jack

S

seedybrick

Enthusiast
def don't care about looks

just want best quality without paying monster prices

are these other two THAT much better than premium monoprice that they should cost so much more?

thanks much so far! :)

mouettus

mouettus

Audioholic Chief
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10236&cs_id=1023603&p_id=2680&seq=1&format=2

is there better quality and looks than that?! I mean... makes me wish I still had analog audio stuff just to hook those cables! lol

Now I'm onto HDMI cables. Mesh looks fantastic. I've had two of those shipped exactly 2 weeks ago (10 business days):
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10240&cs_id=1024004&p_id=3661&seq=1&format=2

BTW, would you guys have a link for a good quality 3.5mm male to 2-RCA male? I need a better one for my computer to my NAD integrated amp.

Last edited:
S

seedybrick

Enthusiast
BTW, would you guys have a link for a good quality 3.5mm male to 2-RCA male? I need a better one for my computer to my NAD integrated amp.
monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021804&p_id=665&seq=1&format=2

are you telling me it's NOT this? lol

or is that not the cable you are looking for?

mouettus

mouettus

Audioholic Chief
monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021804&p_id=665&seq=1&format=2

are you telling me it's NOT this? lol

or is that not the cable you are looking for?
Same thing, but with quality please

I already have the exact same piece of shnitzel and the wires and connectors are so thin and crappy.

mouettus

mouettus

Audioholic Chief
Wow. I just received my monoprice HDMI cables. Holy moly. That's quality. I was expecting average quality and the connectors seemed to be made of some cheap plastic. Oh no, very strong, very big wire, nice mesh. The only drawback is that they hare pretty hard to bend (for a wire)(24gauge, much bigger than my two 28gauge). It's bogus since my rack is very close to the back wall. Connectors are kinda loose too. :s Other than that, for 30$ shipped for 2 quality HDMI cables, I'm a happy man.

And now, I only have HDMI cables (cable box, computer, PS3 --> TV). I also noticed that switching from channel to channel and between SD and HD channels when watching cable is much faster than with the component cables.

Last edited:
R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
I've always stuck with Monoprice and BlueJeans. Can't go wrong with either.

S

seedybrick

Enthusiast
Same thing, but with quality please

I already have the exact same piece of shnitzel and the wires and connectors are so thin and crappy.

ok then.....so not everything monoprice sells is good :confused:

anything to avoid with the list i posted?

mouettus

mouettus

Audioholic Chief
ok then.....so not everything monoprice sells is good :confused:

anything to avoid with the list i posted?
See post #8... it's all I can tell ya. But the adaptor you showed me looks exactly the same as the one I use right now. I want better connectors and bigger wire gauge.

S

seedybrick

Enthusiast
hey obscurred by clouds.....that was your 420th post

just saying ;)

S

seedybrick

Enthusiast
geez i don't know what to do here

it just seems so weird that monoprice is as good as these other two when these cables cost as much as the TAX on the other ones!

i gather that blue jeans is better.....but is that only by a little?
if so then would would anyone bother with blue jeans?

i have some money to spend.....i just didn't want to pay "monster" prices as i understand they are way overpriced.
but really blue jeans costs almost just as much

am i getting alot more quality from acoustic research or blue jeans to justify paying 300 times the cost of monoprice?

so lost right now lol!

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
I've used Monoprice and AR cables. I couldn't tell the difference between the two quality wise.
Of the three you mentioned, I like the looks of AR best. BJC second. But the name and the looks, at least where AR are concerned, are what you're paying for.

Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

Audioholic Field Marshall
It depends on the cable. I bought a 6' hdmi from BJ, (forget which one ~$15-20) and it looks great and feels thick and sturdy. I also bought some various lenghts from BJ for ~$5-6 a cable and they look very similar to the cable I got from Monoprice. Those less expensive ones are thinner overall and don't have the nice looking sleeve. The ones from AR I got, all analog audio and video cables, no hdmi, look similar to the ones pictured in the other post from monoprice. IIRC, they were about the same price as monoprice too.

I hate to admit it but I like the way a good looking cable makes my stuff look when I go behind my equipment. even though most times no one, myself included, can see the stuff. I'm seriously considering replacing the cheaper, plain looking, and fully effective hdmi cables I have with better looking ones purely for pleasing myself when I look behind my AVR once a month. It'll cost me under $50 and will be for my ego only. YOU need to decide on your own, and be honest with yourself, what YOU want in your system. Do YOU want interconnects that work perfectly and just look OK or interconnects that work perfectly and look great too? Only you can really decide what's best for you.

Jack

L

larry7995

Full Audioholic
I have bought TOSlink and HDMI cables from monoprice, I have sort of a budget system ($5000 so far) but I have always been very satisfied with their products, I will probably place an order for sub cables and another HDMI from them soon.

S

seedybrick

Enthusiast
yeah all of the searches i have done on the web about monoprice the discussion is usually about HDMI which i am not in the market for.

i mostly need regular RCA cables and an optical

looks def don't matter to me in the slightest

i just want to make sure i'm getting quality construction and unfortunately am not knowledgeable in what makes a good cable and connector.
i just can't fathom that a monoprice RCA that costs $2.20 is as good as another brand that can cost up to $35 at bluejeans.

can anyone comment specifically about the RCA or optical from monoprice compared to monster, AR, blue jeans?

thanks much for yall's input
i promise i'm almost there!
;)

mouettus

mouettus

Audioholic Chief
yeah all of the searches i have done on the web about monoprice the discussion is usually about HDMI which i am not in the market for.

i mostly need regular RCA cables and an optical

looks def don't matter to me in the slightest

i just want to make sure i'm getting quality construction and unfortunately am not knowledgeable in what makes a good cable and connector.
i just can't fathom that a monoprice RCA that costs $2.20 is as good as another brand that can cost up to $35 at bluejeans.

can anyone comment specifically about the RCA or optical from monoprice compared to monster, AR, blue jeans?

thanks much for yall's input
i promise i'm almost there!
;)
Those seem to be the best ones to buy if you want analog RCA connections.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10236&cs_id=1023603&p_id=2680&seq=1&format=2

For 5$, order one and see for yourself. That's what I would do, but I don't need any analog connections anymore. Everything is HDMI.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis