Monoprice 80W or Yamaha AW570 Outdoor Speakers

J

jgaepi

Enthusiast
I am looking for no frill but long lasting outdoor speakers. I am going to run 100ft of 12AWG speaker wire to them. Running off a yet to be determined secondary amp. Monoprice has their 80w pair units for $55 plus shipping. Costco has the Yamaha AW570s for $99. Which one is a better system? Thx.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
This model from Monoprice is really small and IMO inadequate for quality outdoor listening which really needs more bass.

For only $52.20 each when QTY 50+ purchased - 5-1/4 Inches 2-Way Indoor/Outdoor Waterproof Speakers (Pair) - 40W Nominal, 80W Max | Indoor/Outdoor Waterproof Speakers

The Yamahas, with 6.5" drivers are better, but not by much.

A couple of recommendations:
1. If you are burying the cables at all, then you want to get a speaker wire designed for that purpose...
#1 UV Resistant Outdoor Speaker Wires 70% OFF

2. These guys also give you some really good options on outdoor speakers at pretty much every price point you can imagine...
#1 Patio Speakers | Premium Custom Install Patio Speakers 70% OFF

I'm a huge Monoprice fan, but am not impressed with the outdoor speakers they sent me. (the ones linked above)

I've used OSD speakers before and they have worked very well with good sound for the money.

Yamaha may be comparible for $99. I wouldn't expect much more/less out of them.

A

Actran

Audioholic
I took a look at the guys you linked and am considering a pair of their 8", 8 ohm, 150 W speakers (Ceiling Speakers ICE800WRS Weather Resistant) for my patio. $99 just seems too good for a decent pair of speakers. How would you rate these speakers? My patio is basically a 10 foot cube with one side open to the yard and 3 sides of brick and windows.

I'll be running these of the surround back amps (set as zone 2) on my denon 2312 receiver.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I have their 10 inch sub and like it. I'm sure they are a good value. I guess you can try them and if you don't like them return them.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I've used various speakers from Monoprice, Outdoor Speaker Depot, and others... At the end of the day I find that except for the really nice in-wall/ceiling speakers, the internet direct providers are giving a good quality product for a very good price. If you want to run your speakers at club/DJ levels, then you aren't even close to the right product, but they will handle decent volume just fine and they tend to sound good.

I just did an installation with several pairs of the OSD 8" weatherproof patio speakers and while they sound good, I actually find them missing a bit on the midrange. I also actually put in the cheap Monoprice outdoor speakers on my deck and I find the opposite to be true - they are lacking on the bass. I still have some tweaking I can do on the 8" speakers which can perhaps enhance the midrange a bit, but I feel the Monoprice speakers really should offer a version with at least a 6.5" driver. Still, some music outdoors is better than nothing for sure.

A

Actran

Audioholic
Well, I'll give one pair a try. If the mid range is too bad I'll add a pair of the monoprice!

I'm not looking for too much on the patio. I currently use a little docking station speaker and am actually pretty happy with that. I just get tired of moving it in and out all the time...and some of the buttons stopped working from when I failed on the "moving it in" part.

Where, on the ceiling, should they be placed? Opposite corners? The covered portion of the patio is about 10' x 10'. All brick. Ceiling fan in the middle.
patio.png

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis