Monoprice 50w tube/hybrid bluetooth amp.

Discussion in 'Write Your Own Review' started by MrBoat, Sep 6, 2017.

1. Pogre Audioholic Ninja

Pogre
    If anything, I really like some of the work I've seen with diy's here. I'm not a wood-worker, but I'm familiar with and have used a lot of the tools. I really think I could do a good job with a known design in a flat pack. I'd try one of those first before even attempting a real build. My only reservations about it are my finishing skills. I know I can built a competent speaker, but I ain't sure how purty I can make it look.
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  2. speakerman39 Audioholic Warlord

speakerman39
    I used to be like that. That is, until I had a heart-attack on Christmas Eve December 2015. Once I recovered, I looked at my life differently. For starters, I decided to do ALL of things that I had been putting off in this hobby for so very long. Yes, I go through a lot of gear and will continue to do so until such time I pass. Or, I go bankrupt. To some extent I am a dreamer per se, but I have managed to make a lot of things happen. Thanks in part to my dedication and enthusiasm for my music and/or this hobby. :):):)

Cheers,

Phil
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Pogre Audioholic Ninja

Pogre
    Well one thing's for sure, you have a lot of experience listening to speakers. How many have you had altogether? I think when I first joined this forum I remember you were selling your Chane setup and had the Ultras (that you didn't care for :() right before that, right?
  4. Pogre Audioholic Ninja

Pogre
    Nothing wrong with grabbing life by the balls! :p
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. KEW Audioholic Spartan

KEW
    I feel ya! The RR2160 is a nice unit that I keep looking at, but with Denon AVR-4300's going for the same price, what are ya gonna do?
    The RR2160 has great bass management for a stereo receiver, but still can't compare to that of a full blown AVR with Audyssey! I suspect the RR2160 may have a slightly better amp section, but I could find nothing substantial in the measurements I reviewed - they seem much more equivalent than different!
    But I still want one...:confused::)
    KEW,
    • Agree Agree x 3
  6. speakerman39 Audioholic Warlord

speakerman39
    No no no! I sold off the Chanes b/c I was wanting to focus solely on 2 CH. Hence, part of my fascination w/tube amps. Before the Chanes I owned the JBL 530's/520C. Selling them was the biggest mistake that I ever made in this hobby. The Ultras were a bit before the 530's. Not sure where you read that I did not like the Ultras?

I absolutely loved the Ultras. The metal dome tweeter is the best rendition that I have ever heard even to this day! But, I was not wowed with them over all. Honestly, out of all of the speakers that I have owned just since December 2015, the 530''s were my favorite. That is, until I bought my Wharfies. It is just the 530's were so much fun. My Wharfies excel with music. That is alright with me. :):):)

Cheers,

Phil
    • Like Like x 1
  7. lovinthehd Audioholic Spartan

lovinthehd
    Well, the 530/520s I bought from Phil are still doing well and have been joined with 590s and 580s to complete the family. Don't know why you think about a new receiver when you have two....that's just nuts! :)

PS Hope you've included an exercise plan to help combat your health issues! Good luck on the move!
    • Like Like x 2
  8. speakerman39 Audioholic Warlord

speakerman39
    The Cambridge SR 20 does a great job for my Wharfies. But, I just want more power. The SR 20 is no slouch, but it is so very polite. That is why I think that the Outlaw 2160 is the perfect fit for me. Chances are real good that is what I will do as soon as funds allow. Glad to hear that the 530's/520C are being very well cared for. :):):)

Cheers,

Phil
  9. MrBoat Audioholic General

MrBoat
    I keep looking at the RR2160 as well but then I listen to my AVR and I realize I'm kind of already there. If I did not know of any possible, of what amounts to subtle, sonic preferences between the two, I would not care. The RR2160 boasts a 192 kHz/24-bit DAC, as does my 14 yr old Denon 3805. In many ways, they look essentially the same in an audible sense.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. MrBoat Audioholic General

MrBoat
    This is one of the best approaches to quality, 2 channel, using near field. I think everyone that is serious about hi-fi ought to have this option. One can typically afford high quality desktop speakers and a sub for what they could easily spend on mid-fi larger gear and much less than a surround system and the possible errors of such a system being much less costly as well. I've had a blast lately playing with the smaller speakers. Even the tiny ones are contenders in this realm. After building the Continuums, it occurred to me that I could be quite satisfied, if not blown away by it, in spite of the selfishness of it all.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. slipperybidness Audioholic Spartan

slipperybidness
    Gotcha, just a bit of a different philosophy from my viewpoint--Take all the $ for the various speakers and add it up, we could be talking about some really nice high end speakers at this point!
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. slipperybidness Audioholic Spartan

slipperybidness
    But that classic machined aluminum aesthetic!

I'm certain that it sounds better, based on looks alone ;)
    • Like Like x 1
  13. speakerman39 Audioholic Warlord

speakerman39
    Already have owned some very nice high end speakers. In fact, the Tyler Acoustic Linbrook Signature Monitors are the best speakers that I have ever owned and/or heard period. The Taylo Reference Monitors were also high end.

http://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649339069-tyler-acoustics-linbrook-signature-monitors-are-back/

http://tyleracoustics.com/Classic Lines.html

Couple of things that I have learned along the way is that high end speakers really need high end electronics to sound their best. Not to mention, the point of "diminishing returns" occurs quite rapidly when it comes to so called high end speakers. Perhaps, the same can be said about high end electronics as well, no?

Right now I own (2) sets of Wharfedale stand mounts and could not be any happier. They are not high end, but I prefer them to anything else that I have ever owned for the money. Both excel w/vocals as I prefer a more warmer, laid-back sound signature. Absolutely no listening fatigue whatsoever.

Keep in mind that when I opt for new gear that does NOT mean I lost my a$$ on the deal. Sure, have lost some money here and there. Even at times when shipping something back. Every once in a while, however, I have merely given something away. As such, I may not have lost as much as many people here think.

It is no secret that I am, and have been, looking at some SS amps. Either 2 CH and/or Integrated will suffice. However, the Outlaw 2160 Stereo receiver has my full attention as does the Model 5000 amp. Hoping that I can eventually opt for the 2160. The only other thing I hope to own soon is a set of these:

http://www.wharfedale.co.uk/product.php?pid=107

Cheers,

Phil

PS I am no longer looking at tube amps as SS fits my needs better. :):):)
  14. MrBoat Audioholic General

MrBoat
    I evacd the hurricane and brought the innards to the continuums with me since the rs28a tweet is nla. Hope i havent been robbed for all my other gear...put the tempests in the laundry room atop the washer/dryer. Our block has been w/o power since sunday. I'm still up in the blue ridge living it up with old friends until i hear of improvements back home. House survived at least..as did myself and mine.
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  15. Pogre Audioholic Ninja

Pogre
    Good to hear you're okay 'boat!

I can see you now, on top of the washer and dryer furiously removing screws for your drivers as the waters rise...
    • Funny Funny x 1