Monoblock vs two channel

• Thread starter Vaughan Odendaa
  • Start date
G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
I read the Audioholics article. I don't doubt the source, but is there any evidence to corrobrate it? Have studies been done to confirm the lack of audibility beyond a certain point or is 60 dB the golden number?
Think about it practically, if you have something playing at 80db on one channel, and (assuming crosstalk of 60) crosstalk causing 20db of noise on the other, how audible do you think it will be?

Keeping in mind that 20db is in the ball park of the noise floor in the average room.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Keeping in mind that 20db is in the ball park of the noise floor in the average room.
And that's extremely conservative. With the HVAC running, I'd bump that figure up to 40dB easy, at least in my room. Any activity in the house (dog barking, kid screaming, whatever)...you get the idea.

V

Vaughan Odendaa

Senior Audioholic
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I read somewhere that to test crosstalk you should play music into one channel only, silence in the other. Listen on the silent channel. If you hear music on the silent channel, you basically have crosstalk.

Is that about right?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I read somewhere that to test crosstalk you should play music into one channel only, silence in the other. Listen on the silent channel. If you hear music on the silent channel, you basically have crosstalk.

Is that about right?
It's truly odd that you argue with us about stuff when you claim you don't even understand what it is.

I won't bother to correct you even if you are wrong. You've proven immune to logic and just want too argue known givens with us and ask us to prove them to your satisfaction.

You can take what you've been told here as gospel or, as others have said, go google yourself. I still think you're a troll.

But, going back to the days of vinyl, 15 db was considered more than adequate to create and sustain a truly pleasing stereo effect. You can take that snippet and do with it what you wish. I do have a sugestion, though.

V

Vaughan Odendaa

Senior Audioholic
markw said:
It's truly odd that you argue with us about stuff when you claim you don't even understand what it is.
I wasn't aware I was arguing??? I simply asked a question.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja

Is that about right?
If you read my post earlier in this trainwreck of a thread, you will see that is exactly what I explained...

Are you in the market for a pair of amps? or just bored and curious?

V

Vaughan Odendaa

Senior Audioholic
ImcLoud said:
If you read my post earlier in this trainwreck of a thread, you will see that is exactly what I explained...
I apologise then. I must have overlooked your explanation.

V

Vaughan Odendaa

Senior Audioholic
ImcLoud said:
Are you in the market for a pair of amps? or just bored and curious?
No, not in the market. I was just curious because many people swear that monoblocks are sonically superior and crosstalk is normally brought up in conversation.

Thank you to all those who posted and contributed. I do appreciate it.

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
The other funny thing is: after making sure there's no crosstalk between these two speakers: we are gonna play them in the same room... where they will talk a lot.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
No, not in the market. I was just curious because many people swear that monoblocks are sonically superior and crosstalk is normally brought up in conversation.

Thank you to all those who posted and contributed. I do appreciate it.
A lot of nice folks think all amps, preamps, DACs, CD players, wires, cables, etc, sound differently too. :D

We just agree to disagree. It's all good. ;) :D

My ATI amps have a XTalk of -100dB @ 20kHz. My Crown XLS XTalk is -55dB @ 20kHz, -85dB @ 1kHz. I can't hear a difference. But that's just me. :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis