Monitors for my CPU/recording setup

M

mudrummer99

Senior Audioholic
A couple weeks ago I asked you guys to give me some suggestions on near-field listening speakers, well I've decided take it a step (or maybe two) farther. My wife (of all people) asked if we could setup a recording "studio" in our office/computer room, so I said, sure, we can do that, but it's not gonna be cheap. So with the go ahead I started searching for the equipment that would work well enough, we aren't looking for professional quality, just good enough for her being able to archive her song book (she's a music therapist and is constantly writing songs with very little paper trail to remember it years from now).
So there's my background onto what I need the specific help with. My requirements are relatively simple. I would like to have either a USB interface for inputs and outputs or a similarly capable sound card. I am running Windows XP, but something that would be friendly with Mac would be awesome since we are looking to pick one up around the holidays.
Studio monitors would be a definite plus as well, probably powered ones since it's not in the budget for a balanced output capable amplifier.
Microphone(s) will need to be flexible for vocals, guitar, percussion, and other random instruments. Again, these would preferably not require phantom power due to budgetary concerns.
Here are some of the pieces I was looking at, let me know what you think about the equipment and whether or not it will perform what it is I want to do since I'm still very new at this.

Speakers: http://www.behringer.com/B2031A/index.cfm?lang=ENG
These are on the higher side of my budget for monitors.

Interface: http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/FastTrackPro-main.html
I like this one for a couple reasons, again this is at the high end of my budget, but BB carries these so I can get them at a discount.

Microphone: I haven't really looked too hard for these, haven't had much of an opportunity to get to the local store and take a look at them, so I'm completely open for suggestions here.

My total budget is about $7-800 or so. As I mentioned I am more or less completely new to this genre so change in setup or ideas of easier, more efficient, or less expensive ways to do this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks as always in advance.

Mike

P.S. I'm still working up my terminology in this area so the more detailed the explanations the easier I will understand ultimately resulting in less confusion for me and frustration for you :D

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
id check ebay for the mics. Nakamichi, akg, shure all make battery operated mics, with interchanging capsules.

C

ChunkyDark

Full Audioholic
For mics, mic stands, ect you might check out some music stores that carry used gear. Pawn shops and second hand stores often have some good finds.
One advatage of an economic downturn is there is often good deals to be found.

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Audioengine

The Audioengine 5's are another powered monitor that would work well in your system. They are about $300/pair.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis