monitor audio choice

D

doctor_doctor

Audiophyte
Hi,

I have a home cinema system comprising the following, in a largish room:-

PS3 as my blu-ray player
Denon AVR 2310 amp
Mission 73 front speakers, 7C1 centre speaker, 71 surrounds, and a Kef PW 1000 subwoofer

I use this only for movies, not interested in music at all.

I only recently bought the 2310 amp, and since its been 8 years since I bought the speakers I have, I'm thinking about upgrading to something that matches the amp better. I'm a UK resident, and I was thinking about first replacing the front and centre speakers, and leaving the surrounds alone. I might replace the sub later.

My budget is about £700. I'd like my front speakers to be floorstanding, in any colour other than black or white (something woody!).

I've been doing some research, and thinking about getting some brighter speakers to match the warm denon amp. Narrowed things to the Monitor Audio RS1 or RX1. I'd bi-amp the front speakers.

Can you help me decide between them (obviously I'd demo them if I can) and give me your input/ share your experiences of these two speaker models. Are there any other recommendations you have?

S

skers_54

Full Audioholic
Personally, I wouldn't drop that much money on speakers without hearing them or having the option to return them. Since you're in the UK, you might as well check out B&W. My buddy has the 683 and they sound very nice. Some other British manufacturers popular here are Mourdant-Short, Quad and Tannoy.

BTW most of the warmth comes from your speakers, not the amp.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Hi,

I have a home cinema system comprising the following, in a largish room:-

PS3 as my blu-ray player
Denon AVR 2310 amp
Mission 73 front speakers, 7C1 centre speaker, 71 surrounds, and a Kef PW 1000 subwoofer

I use this only for movies, not interested in music at all.
Dump your entire budget into two subwoofers, or the baddest single sub. Your money will go farther with DIY. Look in the DIY subforum here, for not only the Kappa perfect build, or if a very large unit is ok, the Tuba that Matt34 built. You can build multiple of these with your budget, and with the latter, depending on the drivers and how many, you might be able to structurally damage your home. I've never built one myself, but now that my sub is for 99% movies, and is no longer in the living room, I think I would build a monster now if I did it all over again . . .

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
I agree with Skers_54 - you won't get any "warmth" from an AVR.

Plus, you won't get anything out of bi-amping. Just more wire.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Dump your entire budget into two subwoofers, or the baddest single sub. Your money will go farther with DIY. Look in the DIY subforum here, for not only the Kappa perfect build, or if a very large unit is ok, the Tuba that Matt34 built. You can build multiple of these with your budget, and with the latter, depending on the drivers and how many, you might be able to structurally damage your home. I've never built one myself, but now that my sub is for 99% movies, and is no longer in the living room, I think I would build a monster now if I did it all over again . . .
I agree with this as well. If your system is for movies only, I would keep the speakers you have and go with subwoofers. There is more deep bass in movies than in music.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis