Modifying the Bic America speakers!!!!

I

irvin

Junior Audioholic
I have read numerous reports from people who let Ed Frias modifiy there Bic speakers and the feedbacks were positive. Has anyone had negative feedbacks from Mr. Frias's modifications. Also does anyone know how big of a difference the extensively modified speakers are from the $20.00 modifications that he offers.

P

Privateer

Full Audioholic
I think it would be a crossover mod because cheaer speakers cut alot of the costs when it comes to the crossover design.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
It is a crossover mod, and from what I have read, it makes quite a difference. Spiffyfast and some other big bic guys should know all the tasty details.

sheep

S

soundsfine

Audioholic
Ed Frias

irvin said:
I have read numerous reports from people who let Ed Frias modifiy there Bic speakers and the feedbacks were positive. Has anyone had negative feedbacks from Mr. Frias's modifications. Also does anyone know how big of a difference the extensively modified speakers are from the $20.00 modifications that he offers.
Is it true that nobody has ordered the highly modified speakers directly from Ed?

I have been watching this thread to see if anyone had a good experience. Does that mean everyone here who has dealt with Ed has decided that the crossover modifications were sufficient?

E

eric0531

Audioholic Intern
The only negative feedback I have heard regarding the Frias modification is from this guy:
http://www.slottweak.com/bic/bic.htm

The modification is indeed just the crossover. And bear in mind this is not for the Acoustech series from BIC, but their Venturi bookshelves and centers.

S

soundsfine

Audioholic
eric0531 said:
The modification is indeed just the crossover. And bear in mind this is not for the Acoustech series from BIC, but their Venturi bookshelves and centers.
My understanding was that there are two options:

1. send the crossovers to Ed to modify
  2. order "highly modified" speakers directly from Ed

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
eric0531 said:
The only negative feedback I have heard regarding the Frias modification is from this guy:
http://www.slottweak.com/bic/bic.htm
.....Hmmmm, interesting....the guy in this article ended up feeling the mod took away enough of the "airy transparency" of the '62's to not be a good thing....here is his final solution as to what "HE" heard.....

"With my thoughts organized, I realized the slight brightness was the only thing I wanted to, or could, change, and the easiest way to do this was with an L-Pad on the tweeter (actually, it was recommended by the chief engineer of a speaker manufacturer). I could have spent time and money trying different values, but I decided to take the easy way out and bought three 8 ohm variable L-Pads from Parts Express for under $8 each. They came with instructions, installation was easy and they did the trick perfectly. I could leave them off most of the time, and when I needed them I found that about 1/8 of a turn worked well for getting rid of the brightness and still left the transparency intact. This is exactly what I wanted all along."

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis