Mixing multiple digital audio sources to single set of speakers

S

shibz

Audiophyte
I am looking for some hardware that can mix multiple digital audio sources to a single set of speakers. Currently I just have my TV connected to my digital input on my computer, but this is not a viable long-term solution for me. It produces a very noticeable lag between the sound and video on the TV and is a bit buggy due to the terrible sound card drivers.

I have been doing some googling, but I am not even sure what to search for. If anyone could help me with some keywords to google or, better yet, some links to hardware that can do this, it would be much appreciated. Thanks!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I am looking for some hardware that can mix multiple digital audio sources to a single set of speakers. Currently I just have my TV connected to my digital input on my computer, but this is not a viable long-term solution for me. It produces a very noticeable lag between the sound and video on the TV and is a bit buggy due to the terrible sound card drivers.

I have been doing some googling, but I am not even sure what to search for. If anyone could help me with some keywords to google or, better yet, some links to hardware that can do this, it would be much appreciated. Thanks!
I don't think you mean mixing! You mean switching and that will require a receiver.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
A cheap A/V receiver will do this just fine.

You may be able to just use this...

http://www.gefen.com/kvm/dproduct.jsp?prod_id=5279

with your computer speakers.

Depends on what you are looking to do really, and you are being very ambiguous about what your final goal is.

If you want good sound, then throw the junk PC speakers in the trash and get some real speakers and a receiver to match.

S

shibz

Audiophyte
Thanks for the responses, but sorry because I should have been more specific. I don't think that switching is what I want. I want to play audio from multiple sources at the same time on the same set of speakers. For example, 5.1 audio from my direct tv receiver (via s/pdif or HDMI) and 5.1 audio from my computer (via s/pdif) both playing on the same set of speakers at the same time. Is there a receiver that can do this?

S

shibz

Audiophyte
Why not? I want to do things like watch TV while playing video games. Also the convenience of not ever needing to switch inputs.

S

shibz

Audiophyte
I did some more research and found that mixing two digital signals with consumer-grade equipment probably isn't going to happen since there would be no way to synchronize the "word clock" [1]

That means that I need to either find a receiver that will decode multiple digital sources at the same time (no thanks), or I need to convert both sources to analog and some way to merge them before sending it to my speakers. Does that make sense?

1. What kind of gear would I use to decode the digital signal to a 5.1 analog signal? Something tells me that I want a pre/pro, but I'm no expert so I don't know if that is best.
  2. What would I use to mix the two 5.1 analog signals? Would I want a matrix mixer [2]? Is there any cheaper solution?

I'm really not familiar with these devices, so any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

[1] turtlebeach.com/support/index.php?View=entry&EntryID=531519265
[2] bestbuy.com/site/Denon+DJ+-+Professional+4-Channel+Matrix+Mixer+-+Black/9456741.p?id=1218107252011&skuId=9456741

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I did some more research and found that mixing two digital signals with consumer-grade equipment probably isn't going to happen since there would be no way to synchronize the "word clock" [1]

That means that I need to either find a receiver that will decode multiple digital sources at the same time (no thanks), or I need to convert both sources to analog and some way to merge them before sending it to my speakers. Does that make sense?

1. What kind of gear would I use to decode the digital signal to a 5.1 analog signal? Something tells me that I want a pre/pro, but I'm no expert so I don't know if that is best.
  2. What would I use to mix the two 5.1 analog signals? Would I want a matrix mixer [2]? Is there any cheaper solution?

I'm really not familiar with these devices, so any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

[1] turtlebeach.com/support/index.php?View=entry&EntryID=531519265
[2] bestbuy.com/site/Denon+DJ+-+Professional+4-Channel+Matrix+Mixer+-+Black/9456741.p?id=1218107252011&skuId=9456741
If you have a million bucks to spend this might be possible, but what a mess!

To do what you want really would require a professional multichannel surround mixer. I doubt you have the space for it and certainly not the budget.

If you want to do it analog, you will need a bunch of DACS and then a good multichannel analog mixer, which will still be mega bucks.

Your plan, by the way, makes no sense at all.

S

shibz

Audiophyte
That's really too bad that there are no cost-effective ways to mix two 5.1 channel audio sources. I guess I'll probably just invest in an extra set of speakers until something comes out. Thanks.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

That's really too bad that there are no cost-effective ways to mix two 5.1 channel audio sources. I guess I'll probably just invest in an extra set of speakers until something comes out. Thanks.
How long do you think you will live?

Correct answer gets the toffee apple.

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
I want to do things like watch TV while playing video games.
On the same screen? You’re not talking about mixing digital signals so much as split-screening video signals. That’s the stuff of professional video or broadcast equipment.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Last edited by a moderator:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I think running two separate systems is the only practical way to accomplish what you are wanting.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
While it may sound a bit like heckling, the reality is that what you are waiting for won't ever come to market. Not ever.

There is not a single person in 10 years on forums and installing A/V that has ever, ever, ever made this request.

Why would anyone want to mix to completely different 5.1 audio tracks. Even your own statments don't make sense when I read them.

I want to play audio from multiple sources at the same time on the same set of speakers. For example, 5.1 audio from my direct tv receiver (via s/pdif or HDMI) and 5.1 audio from my computer (via s/pdif) both playing on the same set of speakers at the same time.
It's like trying to overlay convesation while listening to music at the same time. It is confusing, unappealing, and amounts to noise.

So, you end up with complex, poor sounding audio, which is tough to make head or tails out of, and is not something that the general consumer populace wants... ever. So, instead, you will have people, that when they spend their money on audio gear, want good audio.

As what you are asking for is basically the opposite of this, you will find that it never will come to market.

The other comments you have received are accurate. The CHEAP way to do this would be to setup two completely different systems. This is cheaper, and will give you the exact results you are asking for... For whatever reason you want it.

V

Viseriod

Audiophyte
hey there's no need to be making fun of the guy. I myself am looking to do similar. I have two computers and I'd like to use the same surround sound equipment. I would also like to be able to use both computers at the same time. Mainly I'm doing this because I have two people who want to use the computers (guess what) at the same time. I have seen some multiple source speakers out there. I don't know if they can play them at the same time though it was hard to get detailed specs on them. I'm hopeful but I doubt that they do.

OWI Inc. AMP3S62SVC Self-Amplified 3-Source 6" Ceiling Speaker Kit

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
They don't. I'm familiar with OWI gear.

You CAN do this pretty easily in the analog audio realm as this is just normal 'mixing' and is what Karaoke or DJ or a hundred other places do.

But, 5.1 digital audio is most typically a part of a high end setup, and requires a DSP to decode the audio. So, it would not only require multiple DSP units to deal with multiple DSP streams, it would then reuire a digital mixer to handle all the audio on the fly and amounts to a dozen different channels being mixed in a 2x1 down mix setup in the digital realm.

A product, perhaps, from a company like BiAmp or at the higher end of digital matrix mixing, may actually do this. But, when I say 'never' I do mean that at a cheap price there is no push for this. At the professional level, it's about a $10,000 or more product, if it exists at all.

OWI is cheap stuff. They may have some analog auto-mixing built into some of their product, but typically it's just an auto-switch.

M

Malapple

Audiophyte
Sorry to revive an old(ish) thread, but I'm also looking to do this, though with headphones.

My reasons are similar - in my home office I have two PCs, one purely for gaming, the other for general Internet life. I often will have movies running on the second PC. At the moment I'm just using analog stereo and it's trivial to mix the signals and play both simultaneously - I've been doing it for years.

To express surprise that someone would do this strikes me as slightly odd, as people often have a TV on in the background while they do other tasks. I would not use it when using my home theater or even when I'm trying to focus on a specific task, but I spend quite a lot of time in situations where it makes sense.

Personally, I'm interested in 5.1 more for the 5 than the .1 as I really just want positional audio in games. From the second PC I'd be satisfied with just stereo. At the moment, I've been trying to locate a comfortable 5.1 set of headphones that uses an analog connector and I'd connect the main drivers through a mixer and tweak the levels until I got it about right.

One of my issues is that I have spent quite a bit of money on my audio systems and am spoiled. I'm using fairly decent headphones... and none of the 5.1 headphones I've found are clear or comfortable. Most are ridiculously bad in both areas.

The PC's involved don't touch my A or B system - they're really just toys and I don't particularly care if the quality is sub par. Or if it damages the equipment over a long period of time, now that I think about it.

As far as costs, I would pay quite a bit if the solution worked really well. I've been tinkering with this problem for a while now and the largest stumbling block for me seems that most people into mid to high end audio do not appreciate the importance of gaming. :)

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I've been tinkering with this problem for a while now and the largest stumbling block for me seems that most people into mid to high end audio do not appreciate the importance of gaming.
Agreed, I attach no importance to it at all. It may be fun, but important? Give me a break.

highfigh

highfigh

It's a matter of demand- if only a few people want something, it's not likely that a company will bring it to market.

M

Malapple

Audiophyte
Agreed, I attach no importance to it at all. It may be fun, but important? Give me a break.
Sorry - That comment was tongue in cheek humor. Consider your break to be given.

Kind of shocked at the level of challenge displayed towards people here. I'm usually happy when I find people with different viewpoints who would like to talk about them.

Have a nice day, gents.

M

Malapple

Audiophyte
It's a matter of demand- if only a few people want something, it's not likely that a company will bring it to market.
I agree and am sure that's why it's not so readily done. I'm asking around to ensure that there really is no one familiar with it before I bag the idea and try something else.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis