Mitsubishi HC4000 Flickering Image Non-lamp issue

G

Gobifishin

Audiophyte
Ok... Well I bought a house that had this projector in it. The first night it worked. The second night I tried to turn it on and it wouldn't work. Well, I found out that I think the receiver end of my HDMI over ethernet fried itself because it wouldn't link up. I ordered new ones and they came today. After installing them the projector will randomly show an image then it'll flicker between snow and just randomly show an input issue. When I connect something (a ps4) directly to the hdmi plug, it shows perfectly fine. Normally, I have an onkyo amp that I plug and tv box and ps4 into and then out to the tv/projector. I'm confused over what the issue could be. I've changed the ethernet cable, I've changed both ends of the HDMI cords to both shorter and longer. I'm just... completely lost with this. Hopefully somebody can give me some things to try because I don't know what to do.

G

Gobifishin

Audiophyte
I will also add that I've plugged in a TV to the HDMI out of the onkyo amp to verify the integrity and all is perfect there.

G

Gobifishin

Audiophyte
Ok Just ran another test of plugging something directly into the projector. I plugged the TV box into the HDMI over ethernet extender and the picture is flawless. So... if it's something with my amp, why does it work with TV's but not with this setup?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
You likely do not have an HDMI over Ethernet extender. Ethernet is a networking protocol. What you likely have is a HDMI over CAT-x extender. You are using either cat-5e or cat-6 or similar, we will just call it HDMI over CAT extender.

It would actually be helpful for you to tell us what extender you are using, because some of them really suck, and some are decent.

I have used dozens of HDMI over CAT extenders, and I have found that they regularly have issues if you get cheap ones. They just aren't built very well. You want a unit rated for 1080p, and you want a unit which has good power supplies. You want to ensure you are using quality HDMI cables, you want to ensure the CAT cable is properly terminated and isn't kinked at all.

So, I have used this with cable boxes that put out 1080i, and I have had no issue at all:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G5RBX2Q/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That's what I call a REALLY cheap solution.

Typically I use HDBT (HD-Base-T) products which have cheap sets starting around $200. I actually can pick very high end gear up off of eBay, but it requires some specialized configuration, so it isn't something I would recommend for most people to get.

There is still no perfect solution to all of this, and the best bet really is to use a HDMI cable if at all possible, but it really isn't always possible, so if using an extender, you just can't get by with the cheapest ones. You've gotta drop 60 bucks at least, and if that doesn't work, you may have to drop a couple hundred bucks.

But, if you can actually run a HDMI cable point-to-point, then that is a far better solution.

J

Jeffrey S. Albaugh

Audioholic
In my experience of using Cat 5/ 6 Video Baluns. the ones that we have had with these are the following:
1. IOGEAR and also: 2. Snap AV w/HD-Base-T.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis