MIT and Transparent Cable revealed!

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
few years ago I was a student on my way for a degree in electronics engineering. After one year I had learned a lot and decided to see what I could do with what I had already learned, so I started "The Computer Nerd" on August 1st, 2000. I had been playing with computers for years and never really took it very serious until this point.
from the Cable Nerd

See the insides of these cables

B

briansmith

Junior Audioholic
Wow! Can you believe the hack job in that $9600 cable?? I bet their are $100 in parts?? Plus, all of those components look like they would TAKE AWAY from signal quality, not enhance it.

What is the real world effect the "boxes" have on the signal?

-Brian

Rip Van Woofer

Rip Van Woofer

Audioholic General
Tha amazing thing to me is that an EE student would think that a cable needs any kind of added circuitry! He has simply been suckered by a more sophisticated and costly brand of snake oil.

Well, at least now I know how I'm going to finance my audio upgrades: I just need a few spools of wire...shrink tubing...some small capacitors, resistors and potting compound...some small Radio Shack project boxes...unburden myself of any integrity or scruples...

Last edited:
gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Slapping RLC boxes on cables is never the answer unless the cable is so highly reactive that the amplifier needs zobel termination to bring back stability. Sometime in the future I will do some real world analysis that shows the effects these "magical" RLC boxes can have on amplifiers stabilty and phase margin.

FLZapped

FLZapped

Audioholic
briansmith said:
Wow! Can you believe the hack job in that $9600 cable?? I bet their are $100 in parts?? Plus, all of those components look like they would TAKE AWAY from signal quality, not enhance it.

What is the real world effect the "boxes" have on the signal?

-Brian
Probably closer to $10. The cap, inductor and resistor in quantity probably don't add up to $2.00 combined. The plastic parts are probably the most expensive in the assembly.

-Bruce

U

Unregistered

I agree that the Bill of Materials is probably closer to $10 than $100!

Rip Van Woofer

Rip Van Woofer

Audioholic General
gene said:
Slapping RLC boxes on cables is never the answer...
Well, that depends on the question. If it's "how can I retire early by exploiting the gullibility of audiophiles?" then it's the answer! :D

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
gene said:
Slapping RLC boxes on cables is never the answer unless the cable is so highly reactive that the amplifier needs zobel termination to bring back stability. Sometime in the future I will do some real world analysis that shows the effects these "magical" RLC boxes can have on amplifiers stabilty and phase margin.

MIT has 2 patens on these: 4954787 "Audio signal transmission system with noise suppression network" and 5142252 "Audio signal transmission line with low pass filter"

So, one is supposed to suppress noise, the other is a low pass filter, pass audio and keep others out.

You may want to measure the frequency response from 20 Hz out and see where it is suppressing. Inductance and capacitance would be interesting to know where it is.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis