J

jdelgado89

Enthusiast
Hi

I have one more question before I purchase my first A/V unit (Yamaha HTR-5890) would it be a mistake if I purchase a unit with no HDMI inputs and Output. Today I don't have any HD equipment.

Thanks

J

JPW

Junior Audioholic
If your budget doesn't allow for HDMI at this point, I would worry about it. Chances are you will upgrade your receiver in the next 3 to 7 years and you can worry about it then. Don't worry about future proofing your gear. Technology changes so fast, that you'll always wonder if you made the right choice today.

W

westcott

Audioholic General
jdelgado89 said:
Hi

I have one more question before I purchase my first A/V unit (Yamaha HTR-5890) would it be a mistake if I purchase a unit with no HDMI inputs and Output. Today I don't have any HD equipment.

Thanks
It really depends on how reliant you are on your receiver to handle audio and video switching. My receiver does not have HDMI either, but it does handle the video and audio switching for my SD CRT TV. My HDMI projector video runs straight to the projector and does not pass through the receiver. I do not see this as an issue because I only have one HDMI device for now and my remote is activity based allowing it to switch audio inputs for me at the same time.

On the other hand, if you plan on expanding your system and think you may have two or more devices with HDMI like a display and a DVD player, you may be able to save some money in the long rung by buying a receiver with HDMI switching.

A separate switch unit will cost around US$200-$300. When this feature is included in a reciever, you can see it can be quite a cost savings long term.
Not to mention a little more convenient.

With prices the way the are, I would buy a unit with HDMI switching unless I am really on a budget.

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
HDMI on receivers

Don't worry, the HDMI switching on the newest receivers is overrated. In most cases, the video quality of the composite video connections is equivalent to a DVI or HDMI connection. If you buy a new HDMI upscaling DVD, you can always connect it directly to the TV.

Also, before your purchaes, check the prices on the Yamaha RX-V1500. It is identical to the HTR version and also includes THX sound modes. You should be able to get it for about $500 from authorized dealers.

W

westcott

Audioholic General
jcPanny said:
Don't worry, the HDMI switching on the newest receivers is overrated. In most cases, the video quality of the composite video connections is equivalent to a DVI or HDMI connection.
As video signal processing gets better and better, and as more information is able to be processed in todays video players and receivers, HDMI really is the format for the foreseeable future. Composite and DVI signals will not be able to manage the sheer amount of data available when compared to the bit rates of HDMI even though they are "compatible".

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis