Mission 707 information

davidtwotrees

davidtwotrees

Audioholic General
I own a pair of garage sale Mission 707 speakers. They need new foam, and I think this is a good chance for me to refoam some speakers. Otherwise, they are in near showroom condition. They are hefty, large bookshelves and I think they might be what I am looking for in my new digs.
I've googled and searched for these speakers but not much luck. Does anyone have any experience with these? Good, bad, ugly? They are vinyl covered- anyone have any experience covering vinyl with veneer?

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I own a pair of garage sale Mission 707 speakers. They need new foam, and I think this is a good chance for me to refoam some speakers. Otherwise, they are in near showroom condition. They are hefty, large bookshelves and I think they might be what I am looking for in my new digs.
I've googled and searched for these speakers but not much luck. Does anyone have any experience with these? Good, bad, ugly? They are vinyl covered- anyone have any experience covering vinyl with veneer?
Sorry David but they are old speakers. The drivers are the low end of the Vifa classic line. Those speakers do not have a lick of bass. Get your wife to appreciate the Cantons.

davidtwotrees

davidtwotrees

Audioholic General
Just trying to save some coin. If these were up to snuff, I was going to veneer them. But, I may take some of the cash if the Canton's sell, and buy some nice bookshelves. I had considered painting the Canton's a more pleasing color. The silver doesn't at all go with her house..........

ozmedia

ozmedia

Audioholic
Ah th eold 707's, spent many a day in teh soundroom auditioning those for people. At the time, late 80's they were cutting edge, expensive and in demand, only availale at a few carefully selected dealers. I had a chance to pick up a pair about a year ago, I hurried out to see them, loved the memotires they broght back and was completely disappointed when they were played. "They didn't sound like that before...did they?"

Then I realized, to MOST people they would sound fantastic, they still had a warm 'British' sound to them and I have just been spoiled. I now work with RBH, and that's a force to be reconed with, especially at my dealer pricing.
I can't even consider anything else when I can buy aluminum cone, high-end products in one of 30 custom veneers for the same price as some low end Energy's from Putrid Shop or Worst buy. I actually still like my ANCIENT (long before Vintage was ever invented :D) ScanDyna 4-ways though, true classics with paper drivers.

I'd go with what sounds good ot you, a vinyl wrap costs nothing or even a wood veneer is cheap as hell and a LOT easier to work with than many think.
If you like 'em wrap em and keep 'em.

707's were 2nd up in the Mission line when manufactured in teh 80's and were around $700.00/pr, if I remember right (many moons have passed now).

Ak Bartender

Audiophyte
Hi David; I bought a pair of Mission 707 back in the 80's and still own them, back then they sold for about 700, and the reason I chose them back then they sounded great, they were used in England's top recording studios back then for booth playback. for 2 way ported speakers they sounded awesome, I replaced the tweeters with higher end tweeters and have had a few offers to buy them from me... but I wanted to keep them, I'm about to refoam these old speakers and enjoy them for what they are.... Just great old speakers !!! p.s. I thought they sounded better than Advent speakers because they are ported..

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis