missing control knob - how do I replace it?

T

TimboW

Enthusiast
I own a Yamaha RX-V793 Receiver which is missing the small control knob for the bass. Does anyone have any suggestions how or if I could possibly find the replacement part? I've tried both of Yamaha's parts reps here in the States and got no joy out of them, and was hoping to find a large repairer who might stock parts like this. If not I may end up having to get ridiculous and buy another unit in need of repair just so I can rip a single little knob off of it!

Thanks........Tim

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
If i was in your shoes & the manufacturer that so hapily took my cash when i bought the unit new wouldnt help me i would go out & buy another unit from the same manufacturer with the same knobs,take what i needed from the unit then return the unit as defective & get my cash back.

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
highfihoney said:
If i was in your shoes & the manufacturer that so hapily took my cash when i bought the unit new wouldnt help me i would go out & buy another unit from the same manufacturer with the same knobs,take what i needed from the unit then return the unit as defective & get my cash back.
Not exactly honest though, highfihoney. It seems TimboW was searching for a less deceptive solution.

T

TimboW

Enthusiast
Hi again

Hi Belker,
Yes, I actually have thought of that idea as an alternative way of solving the problem.

It seems so dopey that such a small thing should be so much of a hassle, but who wants to have a piece of equipment sitting there that looks almost defective without one of the control mechanisms?

I've called around everywhere trying to find if someone has one in disrepair on in parts, but just no luck. Funny, you can find parts for practically any car made in the last 30 years or so, but we don't obviously have much of an industry for bits and pieces off old electronic gear.

Yamaha does have the parts for practically everything else on the front of the darmed thing, just not those control knobs. Stupid really, because they pull off fairly easily.

Thanks.........Tim

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
Johnd said:
Not exactly honest though, highfihoney. It seems TimboW was searching for a less deceptive solution.
Deceptive???????????? one of the largest manufacturers of electronic gear in the world sells people a device that they cant supply a simple control knob for,i refuse to believe that yamaha cant get hold of a simple control knob for a customer.

I'd be willing to bet a weeks pay that if he sent the unit in for their manufacturer repair service for a fee plus labor yamaha would come up with a control knob .

Deceptive,honest,cmon.

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
I'll admit their service seems desperately lacking. They may even owe Timbow something (perhaps even for their failure to provide service). I'm just submitting that there is an honest way to do it, that is probably not too painful, nor expensive. Just out of curiosity, how many of those McIntosh knobs arrived defective? ;)

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
Johnd said:
I'll admit their service seems desperately lacking. They may even owe Timbow something (perhaps even for their failure to provide service). I'm just submitting that there is an honest way to do it, that is probably not too painful, nor expensive. Just out of curiosity, how many of those McIntosh knobs arrived defective? ;)
I had a new mc207 amp arrive with a dead transformer & when i bought the mc2102 tube amp one of the kt88 tubes started arcing blue after the amp warmed up,in both cases the mac service dept bent over basackwards to fix me up.

No bad control knobs yet though:D

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
I have little doubt that McIntosh has stellar service (prerequisites). It would be nice if all manufacturers were as gratuitous. Either way, if I were fortunate enough to own Mc equipment, I would gladly pay to keep it jammin. Cheers.

B

Belker

Audiophyte
Have you tried looking for a knob from a different model of Yamaha receiver? A different model could have the same or very similar knob but have the knob listed as a different part number.

T

TimboW

Enthusiast
got it!

After two weeks of silence, one of Yamaha's two parts reps finally got back to me. It had to be shipped in from Japan, and will get to me in a week or so.

All this for a part worth about $1!!

As for the person who asked me about using knobs from another unit, all I can say is I asked. Not one of Yamaha's reps here in the USA could help, and yamaha in japan didn't answer my query. It was getting to a point that I felt the only way I was going to get an answer was to fly over to japan, find the designer/engineer who came up with the unit in question, and get him to offer up a solution!

Thanks to all.......Tim

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis