Mirage Omni 260 towers

Pandaman617

Pandaman617

Senior Audioholic
Let me begin by saying I am in no way shape or form any type of expert. I’m a computer/IT nerd who left that world as a hobby (still work in it and don’t enjoy it that much anymore) to join the amazing world of home theater. It’s been a few years and I do my fair share of buying speakers to sell them for profit to fund my next upgrade as either I suck at being married or it’s a common occurrence amongst us men that convincing our wives we need $5,000+ to splurge on new towers, a center channel, etc is an exercise in futility. Anyways I had taken apart my Mirage Omni 260 towers to see what a crossover is exactly and also to see what everyone is always talking about when they say upgrade the caps. Anyways upon reassembling them I looked at the top 6.5” woofer and while the Omniguide module the 1” tweeter sits in is said to assist in Omnipolar dispersion I’ve always felt it didn’t do too much and have treated these no different than bi-polar towers (21” from rear wall 36” from side wall and 9’ apart) so I put the tweeter and Omniguide on backwards giving enough clearance for the woofer to still function unimpeded and perhaps it’s just a placebo effect but to me the soundstage is way more immersive yet still clear and relatively accurate. Does anyone have any input on this? Again I don’t claim to be an expert so please don’t bash me for being an idiot or whatever I’m just curious what other people think

N

nm2285

Senior Audioholic
Let me begin by saying I am in no way shape or form any type of expert. I’m a computer/IT nerd who left that world as a hobby (still work in it and don’t enjoy it that much anymore) to join the amazing world of home theater. It’s been a few years and I do my fair share of buying speakers to sell them for profit to fund my next upgrade as either I suck at being married or it’s a common occurrence amongst us men that convincing our wives we need $5,000+ to splurge on new towers, a center channel, etc is an exercise in futility. Anyways I had taken apart my Mirage Omni 260 towers to see what a crossover is exactly and also to see what everyone is always talking about when they say upgrade the caps. Anyways upon reassembling them I looked at the top 6.5” woofer and while the Omniguide module the 1” tweeter sits in is said to assist in Omnipolar dispersion I’ve always felt it didn’t do too much and have treated these no different than bi-polar towers (21” from rear wall 36” from side wall and 9’ apart) so I put the tweeter and Omniguide on backwards giving enough clearance for the woofer to still function unimpeded and perhaps it’s just a placebo effect but to me the soundstage is way more immersive yet still clear and relatively accurate. Does anyone have any input on this? Again I don’t claim to be an expert so please don’t bash me for being an idiot or whatever I’m just curious what other people think
I always found mirage speakers to give a large, but vague soundstage. Has doing this given any more definition to it? I would imagine the woofer being pointed off-axis has more effect on the soundstage than that cone of the tweeter being centered over it.

Pandaman617

Pandaman617

Senior Audioholic
Honestly yes I have noticed the top mounted woofer has a bit better imaging. I’m sure Andrew Welker has a vastly superior knowledge of acoustics than I do but this simple change really seems to have brought them alive at least in my specific listening room with mid level equipment. This was my first Atmos type setup so it’s being powered by a Denon X3300W I got for $400 old stock so call it roughly 70-80 watts per channel with all 7 driven (just a guess), honestly I had went out and bought a Def Tech CLR2500 in plans of getting a pair of BP2002’s because of how disappointing the Omni’s were at times. This has totally changed my opinion

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis