T

trfcrugby

Enthusiast
I just bought a Velodyne MiniVee for an amazing (I think) $300 brand new. Seemed like a good deal at the local Good Guys, who are going out of business and selling everything at 40-60% off.

Anyway, I replaced a 6 year old Energy 8" powered unit with this Velodyne unit, based solely on the fact that I have heard people raving about the Velodyne brand, and with the retail price of $799, I figured this thing had to be good. It was the last one in the store, so I grabbed it.

Got it home, and plugged it into my Denon 2805, and I just wanted to make sure that I have this all setup correctly, as I am a complete noob when it comes to this.

I plugged the cable into the LFE on the sub, and the subwoofer out on the receiver. On the sub, I used the following settings:

Volume - 50%
Power - Auto
Low Pass Crossover - 80
Subwoofer Direct
Phase - 0

http://www.velodyne.com/velodyne/products/manuals/Mini Vee Manual_English.pdf

The bass for this thing is great during movies, but for music, it seems nonexistent. Did I do something wrong?

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
There is no correct phase setting, its what ever sounds good.

Volume should be at the point when it blends with the mains, So 50% might or might not be right.

For 300, thats a steal. Its the same sub as the SPL800R but without the R(remote and auto EQ)

Sometimes I find that you don't need the bass turned up very much for movies. On the other hand, music needs to be a little louder. Its because of the DVD's and the way they are recorded.

Try messing around with the phase, and volume and see what you come up with.

SheepStar

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Sometimes with music, you don't notice it even though it's there. Also, make sure your speakers are set to small and subwoofer enabled with a crossover frequency that suits their rolloff (80Hz is a good starting point).

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Don't notice it . . .

Try turning off the sub and see if you hear the difference.

In addition to the above posts, turn the crossover knob on the sub to the max frequency since the receiver will be used to set the crossover.

It is also possible that the voltage on the LFE signal is not high enough to get the sub's auto on feature to work properly. If this is the case, turn up the receiver's sub output by a few dB and turn down the sub's volume knob to compensate. This sub should definately outperform your old one when configured properly.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis