Might have pooched a Dynaudio driver.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
I'm not sure, really. Sound quality seems fine, not distorted or anything. But the woofer on one side has developed a vibration that has become apparent even at lower volumes. It's sort of frequency specific and if I lightly touch the dust cap, the vibration goes away and it sounds pretty good.

So if the driver isn't blown and it's just a loose dust cap, any ideas on how to secure it or should I just take it back to the dealer and let him work it out?

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I'm not sure, really. Sound quality seems fine, not distorted or anything. But the woofer on one side has developed a vibration that has become apparent even at lower volumes. It's sort of frequency specific and if I lightly touch the dust cap, the vibration goes away and it sounds pretty good.

So if the driver isn't blown and it's just a loose dust cap, any ideas on how to secure it or should I just take it back to the dealer and let him work it out?
If they're under warranty, I would have the dealer take care of it. Warranties forbid people doing their own repairs and they may have used some specific cement for the dust cap.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Call your dealer. It might be a known problem.

Then buy a whole new set-up!:eek::p

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
Five year warranty. I'm definitely covered. I guess I'm old enough to know not to use scotch tape to hold the dust cap tighter to the driver.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I think the speaker has developed gap rub most likely. When you press on the dust cap you are likely slightly putting a force on the cone that slightly re centers the coil.

Try pushing the cone in and out with gently pressure and see if you can fell any roughness.

If the dust cap is loose which I doubt, because of the system these drivers use, you should be able to find where it is loose with gentle prying.

I suspect that driver will have to be reconed.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
I think the speaker has developed gap rub most likely. When you press on the dust cap you are likely slightly putting a force on the cone that slightly re centers the coil.

Try pushing the cone in and out with gently pressure and see if you can fell any roughness.

If the dust cap is loose which I doubt, because of the system these drivers use, you should be able to find where it is loose with gentle prying.

I suspect that driver will have to be reconed.
Yikes.:eek:

But thanks. When I lightly push the cone in, there's a sort of plastic popping crackly sound. I've noticed some odd sounds coming from this driver on and off over the past few months but I could never really locate or identify a specific anomaly. Last night, I did a few minutes of reference level Black Label Society that seems to make the issue quite easy to identify.:eek:

To the dealer I must go.

highfigh

highfigh

But thanks. When I lightly push the cone in, there's a sort of plastic popping crackly sound. I've noticed some odd sounds coming from this driver on and off over the past few months but I could never really locate or identify a specific anomaly. Last night, I did a few minutes of reference level Black Label Society that seems to make the issue quite easy to identify.:eek:

To the dealer I must go.
Download TrueRTA and use the waveform generator to identify the frequencies that cause this to happen. Don't crank the level when you use this but it can be very helpful. It's a free download.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

To the dealer I must go.
That sounds like classic gap rub.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
I went over to my brother's house to pick up my Era D5's to use while the Dyne's were at the shop. As I was unhooking the Dyne's, I pushed in the driver just to hear the sound one more time. It wasn't there. I've been listening to them for the last few hours and I hear no evidence of the vibration that was there before. They sound perfect.

Arrrrgh. I hate minor and/or intermittent issues. They are nothing but frustration without gratification.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I went over to my brother's house to pick up my Era D5's to use while the Dyne's were at the shop. As I was unhooking the Dyne's, I pushed in the driver just to hear the sound one more time. It wasn't there. I've been listening to them for the last few hours and I hear no evidence of the vibration that was there before. They sound perfect.

Arrrrgh. I hate minor and/or intermittent issues. They are nothing but frustration without gratification.
From your description it sounds as if the problem is dirt in the VC gap. This is known to happen at manufacture now and again. Dirt causes intermittent gap rub. All it takes is one piece of grit in there. When I build a driver I always run masking tape turned so it is sticky on both surfaces and run it a few times round the gap. That usually gets out any dirt.

My best advice is to insist on replacement of that driver.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
It's a five year warranty so I've got time to keep an eye on it for now. If the condition returns, I'll take it in and see about getting the driver replaced.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
My best advice is to insist on replacement of that driver.
I agree, because the problem will more than likely return and magnify.
I've got time to keep an eye on it for now. If the condition returns ...
This is usually what happens when you try to help a hard headed noob out. :rolleyes:
In Dave's case I'm thinking it's that the laziness is strong within him. :D

It stands to reason that it just can't fix itself. Just leave your money and credit cards at home when you go to take it in or if you want something, bring your audio addiction enabling wife with you. The salesman will do the rest if he's worth his weight.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
In Dave's case I'm thinking it's that the laziness is strong within him. :D
Am I that transparent.:eek:

if you want something, bring your audio addiction enabling wife with you.
I just gave her the phone number of the contractor that's going to reno our bathroom. I told her to call and get it done however she wants it done because if she waits for me to do it, it's not going to get done any time soon. Does that make me lazy?;)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis