Midrange in floor-standing or bookshelf speakers

L

LamontSim

Audioholic
I'm at a crossroad right now. I'm looking to purchase a pair of floor-standing speakers in the Polk Audio line. I'm considering either the RTi A5 or the RTi A7. Price is not so much a factor and other than the 7s having a slightly larger woofer, 7 inches compared to the 5s 6 1/2 inches, they are similar except that the 7 has a midrange frequency driver. What I need help in is deciding is it better to spend a little extra and get the speaker with the midrange or not? Is a midrange an important feature in a speaker or not? Please somebody help me out. Thanks.

J

jsc1979

Junior Audioholic
I would definitely take the one with a dedicated midrange driver.

My center has a dedicated midrange and it is exceptional in my opinion. Provides a bit more detail.

Last edited:
Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
I’ve had both (BMRs with and Philharmonitor with out midrange) and “with” is clearer .

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
A three way is not necessarily superior, it depends on the specific drivers, crossover and overall design....no experience with the Polks myself.

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
A three way is not necessarily superior, it depends on the specific drivers, crossover and overall design....no experience with the Polks myself.
3-ways are much more difficult to design. I don't recall ever having a complete failure with a 2-way, but I've had some disasters with 3-ways.

L

LamontSim

Audioholic
3-ways are much more difficult to design. I don't recall ever having a complete failure with a 2-way, but I've had some disasters with 3-ways.
Thanks for the input. Do you think the midrange brings out the vocals more than a 2-way?

L

LamontSim

Audioholic
I would definitely take the one with a dedicated midrange driver.

My center has a dedicated midrange and it is exceptional in my opinion. Provides a bit more detail.
You just might be right. It should only enhance the sound quality.

L

LamontSim

Audioholic
Which ones do you have that have 2 or 3-way drivers?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Depends how you look at it I suppose. I have many sets of 2 ways (over 10), and a pair of 2.5 way towers. but support all of them with subwoofers so I suppose they're all at least 3-ways in that sense. Haven't had a dedicated 3 way speaker for quite a while.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I'm at a crossroad right now. I'm looking to purchase a pair of floor-standing speakers in the Polk Audio line. I'm considering either the RTi A5 or the RTi A7. Price is not so much a factor and other than the 7s having a slightly larger woofer, 7 inches compared to the 5s 6 1/2 inches, they are similar except that the 7 has a midrange frequency driver. What I need help in is deciding is it better to spend a little extra and get the speaker with the midrange or not? Is a midrange an important feature in a speaker or not? Please somebody help me out. Thanks.
You should really try to get a chance to listen to them.
In many respects a one-way speaker has advantages (imaging and phase coherence come to mind), but of course, it will struggle with the upper treble and/or the deeper bass..
Every addition of another crossover point invites problems which must be dealt with by the designer.
Dennis has proven very good at this, but part of his being good at it involves deciding not to use certain driver because they just won't work well with the other driver(s). It is a complex problem to address all of the concerns without letting one get out of sorts.
Generally, the main benefit of a three way is to relieve the mid-woofer in a 3-way speaker from having to produce such a wide frequency range by splitting it into a mid and a woofer.
As Lovinthehd pointed out, if you are using a sub, you are relieving your mid-woofer of most of the bass, so part of the benefit of the 3-way is already taken care of!
As a subjective anecdote, I compared the Energy RC-70 (3-way tower) against the Energy RC-10 (2-way bookshelf). The RC-70 could play louder and had more bass, but the RC-10 was clearer through the all-important mid-range!
A major factor is where the crossover needs to fall. If it falls in the mid-range (we evolved to have the most acute hearing in the mid-range), extreme care needs to be taken to avoid any audible artifacts from the crossover. If the crossover gets into lower frequencies - like 400Hz in the case of where M-L crosses their electrostatic panel to a standard (sub)woofer driver, a small glitch in the crossover is not as likely to be noticable.
If you are not using a sub and want real bass, there is good reason to covet a 3-way, but once you add a sub, the benefit a 3-way becomes less compelling and it all depends - on the quality of the design.
Try to A-B them side by side even if you need to buy both then return one...unless you can find someone who knows those specific speakers!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis