Microsoft 'Xenon' Next-Generation XBox Specs

<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><FONT face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size=2>Microsoft gave attendees of the Game Developer’s Conference (GDC) a peek at the specs of its upcoming Xbox replacement code named "Xenon".<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>There are still several unknowns about the upcoming system, including what the system will look like, what it will be called, and exactly when it’s to be released.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>However, the announcements of specs make the second coming of Xbox look like a sure bet for late this year according industry analysts.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"> Wayde Robson of Home Theater Focus reports on the audio, video, and system specs of this new box.</SPAN></FONT></P>
<P><FONT face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size=2><SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">[Get the Xenon Specs]</SPAN></FONT></P>

Last edited by a moderator:
E

expletive

Enthusiast
Any word on if the new xbox will be able to play current xbox games?

John

HookedOnSound

HookedOnSound

Full Audioholic
expletive said:
Any word on if the new xbox will be able to play current xbox games?

John

I am curious myself. I don't own an XBOX but I want to see if Microsoft will alienate their customers...again.... :eek: :D

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

Xbox Magazine is speculating that the new 'box won't play current Xbox games.

MasterChief

MasterChief

Junior Audioholic
It might not be backwards compatiable since there using the Power Pcs cpu which is based on different technology than the intel chip X86 cpu they used for the xbox i would be hard so yea that sucks.keep ur Big Boxes people. :(

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
Once the first few titles are released in super-de-duper high def, I imagine that most people wont want to continue playing the standard-def games. You hear of very few people selling their DVD players for VCRs.......

Shadow_Ferret

Shadow_Ferret

Audioholic Chief
If that's true, I guess I'll just have to keep X-Box and look to something else, maybe the new Playstation. I mean, why not? If I have to rebuild my whole game library, I'm certainly not beholden to X-Box at that point and can start from scratch with any game console.

Bingo. Which is why the backwards-compatibility issue is a two-edged sword. But mostly it just cuts up the consumers in to little tiny chunks... I suppose if you're into it, $300-$400 or so isn't much to pay for a console that lasts about 4 years. You just have to keep it around to play the old stuff while you collect the new titles.

Eventually, I suppose the current Xbox titles will feel like Atari 2600 games to us and we'll sell off the entire collection for $100 on eBay?

nick_danger

nick_danger

Audioholic
BC is important feature to a lot of people and not important to a lot of others. Being a fan of clean installations and fewer cables, I prefer backward compatibility. Why have three Playstations, when one will play games from all three generations with potential graphical/aural improvements for prior generation games?

The one thing that is most definitely not a hurdle is the x86 --> PPC architecture. Microsoft completely absorbed Connectix some time ago, the maker of the popular VirtualPC Windows emulation software for Apple PCs. Aside from that fact, Microsoft is producing its next operating system with the evolution of the computing landscape in mind. Plenty of reputable sources claim that Windows Longhorn (codename) will come in forms compatible with current and future single x86 CPUs, multiple x86 CPUs, 64-bit CPUs, PowerPC CPUs, and potentially even compatible with future Cell technology. Scalability is huge with the next Windows.

Also, Microsoft didn't just buy three PPC CPUs from IBM and throw them in the Xbox360 (like the near-stock Intel Celerons in the Xbox), Microsoft Hardware and ATI were deeply involved in the CPU design this time around, it's core technology just happens to be PPC. Microsoft is the world's premeire software company. Considering that the OS integrated with Xbox360 is more than likely Longhorn-based, the x86 issue is null, really.

ATI was interviewed long ago stating that they would have no issues replicating the graphics protocols found on the nVidia hardware of the Xbox in their new chip. A couple weeks later nVidia stated publically that the rendering technology within the Xbox was not Microsoft's property and implied that Microsoft would have to pay royalties to them if they even wanted to emulate it. Pfft. We'll see what happens. Based on sporatic comments made by ATI and Microsoft, backward compatibility doesn't seem to be limited technically.

I'm hoping they do it, because I want it and they only stand to gain on the deal. Would you honestly find a customer that WON'T buy a new Xbox solely because it IS backward compatible?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis