Media Server questions/comparison...

S

srf1

Audiophyte
Any real-time usage thoughts out there on a server that rips and stores (with expandable storage)?? Just as a foreword - this is to be used in a 2.1 system only - video storage is a plus, but not a factor for me personally.

Looking at different options: Olive 05 and 06, Baetis Revolution and Meridian Soolos just to name a few. Already have an external DAC, so that is also a not-needed piece.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
If you're not opposed to building/setting up a system for yourself I would suggest using XBMC for this. It'll do everything you want and be more flexible (and likely orders of magnitude less expensive) than the store bought solutions you've listed.

There are some downsides though. It's hard to put together a box that is as visually pleasing as many of those, and the interface will be a touch less polished (though still quite good).

B

bikemig

Audioholic Chief
Any real-time usage thoughts out there on a server that rips and stores (with expandable storage)?? Just as a foreword - this is to be used in a 2.1 system only - video storage is a plus, but not a factor for me personally.

Looking at different options: Olive 05 and 06, Baetis Revolution and Meridian Soolos just to name a few. Already have an external DAC, so that is also a not-needed piece.

Any suggestions are appreciated.
I've been using a mac mini for a while. It's easy to add drives and it networks well. You can rely on airplay to stream or use sonos if you prefer. I have mine connected to my TV for video streaming and use a wireless keyboard as a controller but the mini can be set up headless as well and you can use a number of different devices to control it.

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
I'll second XBMC. Its a complex setup at first, but I REALLY enjoy it. It works with all of my devices and there's so much support for it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis