Media Server, PC or PS3?

M

mibson

Audioholic
I new to this whole idea of a media server, but I soon will have a good stereo so Im trying to learn how to get high quality sound from my PC or PS3...

Am I better off building a PC for a media server or using my PS3?

I will have a receiver with an HDMI input in 4-5 months and this is when I will want to use a media server.

I need to have the media server sound as good as a good cd player, is this even possible?

Thanks for any help, or links on how to learn about this...

Cheers!

:)

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I would use a PC, that way you can choose what software you use to rip/playback the music, and yes it can sound as good as a cd. PS3 works well to, but you will have more flexibility if you use a PC.

tbergman

tbergman

Full Audioholic
With a PC you can hand-pick the quality of your components. I don't know much about specific sound cards but I'm pretty sure you can get as good of quality sound as you want if you've got the money to spend on it. With the PS3 you're stuck with what they give you. If you're looking to use it for video as well, XBMC is a great interface for browsing movies and TV shows. They music browsing isn't as good as I'd like.

M

mibson

Audioholic
media server and sounds cards`

My limited understanding is:

If I have a HDMI input on my receiver then I can use the dac in it.

So then, wouldnt the quality of everything in the computer not matter? (as far as sound quality is concerned)

Polygon

Polygon

Audioholic
I tried the media server first, didn't like it. Then I tried my X-Box 360 and it was better but the navigation/folder organization and intolerance of a lot of different formats. I've used some HTPCs and now I'm building one for myself and I would say that's it's the best option by far.

My limited understanding is:

If I have a HDMI input on my receiver then I can use the dac in it.

So then, wouldnt the quality of everything in the computer not matter? (as far as sound quality is concerned)
Correct. The SPDIF will pass the raw signal to the receiver and let it do the processing.

M

Mirko

Enthusiast
I used a friend's PS3 system as my media server for a few months... It can function very well for that, but it has some limitations, doesn't support saving or playback of flac or any other lossless codec, and it sometimes has problems with mp3s, one in a hundred files or so, but annoying nonetheless, it will play it properly, but after playing it, it skips the next file, plays the third file and writes 'corrupt data' on the first one. I hope you got what I mean. I don't know why is that happening, but have seen it a couple of times. I hope that you won't do any serious tagging on it as well, because it's a real pain. Also, it's file organisation could be better. It can only list music by artist, album, etc, and when you enter an artist, it shows tracks immediately. I think it would be better if after entering an artist you choose an album and only then show individual tracks. But it's not much of a problem, really, once you get used to it.

So, if you're happy with playing only mp3, wma and aac on it, will be doing all the tagging and similar stuff on a pc, and can live with all the other limitations, you're pretty much good to go. Btw, I have read somewhere that you can stream flac to it from a pc over a network, but haven't seen it function so can't verify.

Btw, the cooler on that thing was quite loud... I'm not sure if it was that specific system's problem, though, so I suggest you check that as well.

For a short time, I was planning on purchasing a PS3 system myself for media center duties, but will instead be building a PC soon... Those limitations were just too annoying for me, I like things to be very flexible. If you think you can live with that or don't have the expertise to setup a PC as a media center, buy a PS3, it's simple and for the most part functions very well. Otherwise, purchase a PC instead.

M

mike29892

Enthusiast
Pc and media server. Pc hooked up to the computer to play the files and media server to store them all and back up all your pcs in the house.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
First you have to define what format you will be storing music in. I use the lossless FLAC format. It's probably the most popular. However to the best of my knowledge the PS/3 does not support FLAC. That leaves a media PC or media appliance.

Anyway figure out what format you intened to use. If it's MP3s it doesn't matter. If it's something high quality then you'll have to match the hardware to the the format.

Nemo128

Nemo128

Audioholic Field Marshall
All NMTs I've seen and used play pretty much any audio format, including lossless.

M

mibson

Audioholic
First you have to define what format you will be storing music in. I use the lossless FLAC format. It's probably the most popular. However to the best of my knowledge the PS/3 does not support FLAC. That leaves a media PC or media appliance.

Anyway figure out what format you intened to use. If it's MP3s it doesn't matter. If it's something high quality then you'll have to match the hardware to the the format.
I need the highest quality possible, is that FLAC?

jinjuku

jinjuku

I need the highest quality possible, is that FLAC?
FLAC is a 'lossless' compressed format. So this means two things:

1. Playback of audio the is indistinguishable from the original source
2. Compression that will save on HD space

I simply rip everything with WMA lossless and don't worry about space constraints. I have a 500GB HD with all my music and plenty of space left over.

If we were talking about the days of an 80 or 120 GB being king I could understand going to various compressed formats. But now days? Meh.

M

mibson

Audioholic
Am I on the right track?

Ok, I am a bit confused about the best way to go here...

I already have a PS3...

My understanding is:

I can use a ethernet cable to connect my PC in the basment to my PS3 upstairs.(I dont have a wireless router)

Then, I can have all my music stored on my PC in some lossless format(perhaps flac) or even waves (hard drives are so big and cheep I dont know why more people dont use wave)?

I can they use a digital output on my PS3 to a receiver or external DAC, and play musuc in perfect, lossless, high quality; with all music stored on my pc...

Is this correct? am I confused about anything here?
(I am new to this whole idea of getting lossless audio quality without using cds...)

Last edited:
Nemo128

Nemo128

Audioholic Field Marshall
Ok, I am a bit confused about the best way to go here...

I already have a PS3...

My understanding is:

I can use a ethernet cable to connect my PC in the basment to my PS3.(I dont have a wireless router)

Then, I can have all my music stored on my PC in some lossless format(perhaps flac) or even waves (hard drives are so big and cheep I dont know why more people dont use wave)?

I can they use a digital output on my PS3 to a receiver or external DAC, and play musuc in perfect, lossless, high quality; with all music stored on my pc...

Is this correct? am I confused about anything here?
(I am new to this whole idea of getting lossless audio quality without using cds...)
You're on the right track. WAV is just a waste of HDD space. WAV is to audio files as premium gas is to a 4cyl econobox. It gets you nothing additional, so why waste the resources. I say FLAC it all.

M

mibson

Audioholic
If I use flac, and I want to use a good quality DAC, then the receiver or external DAC I use will need to support FLAC?

Is this the right idea?

If yes, how common is it for FLAC to be supported by various AV receivers and external DACs?

Also, if I have my pc in the basment attached via etherment to my ps3 upstairs, can I play video games that are on my pc using somthing like ps3 media server when Im upstairs?

(I would get a bluetooth keyboard/mouse)...

Also, Ive read you need a fast pc to allow on the fly decoding with ps3 media server, how fast? I have a Athalon 3600 (single core) with 2gb of ram, and a geforce 7800gtco. Will this processor be fast enough, if I dont run any other apps at the same time?

Last edited:
R

rayneman725

Enthusiast
Hi there

So I am not an expert on speakers, but the media sever thing I defiantly know a thing or two about. First of all media servers and Pc's are very expensive and mostly not that impressive, but the Ps3 I think is selling for like 299.00 which is much less then what I paid for it. It can connect wirelessly to your pc/mac or you can use a ethernet cable as well. It has the ability to surf the internet although the engine it uses is not as nice as a pc, but it does work. Their are also several programs out there to stream content from you pc to the ps3 wirelessly. Some are free and they work very well. The best part about the Ps3 is you can put you music, movies, and photos all in one place (the pS3). It comes with a 120gig hard drive that can be upgraded very easly and has 2 usb ports for external drives. It also has bluetooth tech for the remotes so you can be any where in the room to control it. And a Hdmi port in the back for seamless High def sound and video.

I have over a hundred movies, thousands of song, and many photos on mine, I also have a trilo bite of memory on mine between the internal and external drives. I have to say for the money this is the best way to go of course with any new tech you have to learn and read a little to be able to convert video an music to play on the PS3, but i have seen 12yr old kids on you-tube do it. Any questions I would be happy to help.
Also if you have a mac, their is a program called vuze that makes movie and music conversions and transfer very easy.

M

mibson

Audioholic
Hi there

So I am not an expert on speakers, but the media sever thing I defiantly know a thing or two about. First of all media servers and Pc's are very expensive and mostly not that impressive, but the Ps3 I think is selling for like 299.00 which is much less then what I paid for it. It can connect wirelessly to your pc/mac or you can use a ethernet cable as well. It has the ability to surf the internet although the engine it uses is not as nice as a pc, but it does work. Their are also several programs out there to stream content from you pc to the ps3 wirelessly. Some are free and they work very well. The best part about the Ps3 is you can put you music, movies, and photos all in one place (the pS3). It comes with a 120gig hard drive that can be upgraded very easly and has 2 usb ports for external drives. It also has bluetooth tech for the remotes so you can be any where in the room to control it. And a Hdmi port in the back for seamless High def sound and video.

I have over a hundred movies, thousands of song, and many photos on mine, I also have a trilo bite of memory on mine between the internal and external drives. I have to say for the money this is the best way to go of course with any new tech you have to learn and read a little to be able to convert video an music to play on the PS3, but i have seen 12yr old kids on you-tube do it. Any questions I would be happy to help.
Also if you have a mac, their is a program called vuze that makes movie and music conversions and transfer very easy.

My concern is I need the audio to be lossless/perfect cd quality. Im not sure if I use FLAC as a format, then use the digital audio out on my ps3, how common it is for AV receivers or a external DAC or premap- to support flac...I Cant find much info on this...For example, if I use a digital out on the ps3 to the Emotiva UMC-1, will flac work? Im quite confused about what will do the decoding...after the ps3's digital output..

Last edited:
sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
If I use flac, and I want to use a good quality DAC, then the receiver or external DAC I use will need to support FLAC?

Is this the right idea?

If yes, how common is it for FLAC to be supported by various AV receivers and external DACs?

Also, if I have my pc in the basment attached via etherment to my ps3 upstairs, can I play video games that are on my pc using somthing like ps3 media server when Im upstairs?

(I would get a bluetooth keyboard/mouse)...

Also, Ive read you need a fast pc to allow on the fly decoding with ps3 media server, how fast? I have a Athalon 3600 (single core) with 2gb of ram, and a geforce 7800gtco. Will this processor be fast enough, if I dont run any other apps at the same time?
FLAC vs WAV: Equal quality but FLAC takes up about 60-70% of the space of a WAV and supports tags.

FLAC is supported on PCs, some MP3 players, and many home media players but I do not believe it is supported by the PS3. The way I have it hooked up in my family room is through a PC. I built one with a drive large enough to hold 1500-1800 songs in FLAC format and networked it to my home NAS box and PC. That way all music is backed up. The PC attaches to my receiver via optical cable and my TV via a DVI cable. It works perfectly. In theory my Onkyo TX-NR906 is one of the few that will access and decode FLAC across the network directly but in reality that function does not work. That's ok the PC works perfectly and I can queue up 20 days (assuming 24 hours a day) worth of music in WinAmp and enjoy.

The way I plan to do it in my bedroom is something like a Popcorn Hour media tank. There are several devices in the $100-250 price range that attach to the receiver via HDMI and play back FLAC files from (depending on the model) either an internal hard drive, external hard drive, or across the network. I want one that uses my network. But while most such devices support FLAC a few still do not and many such devices are still getting the bugs worked out.

M

mibson

Audioholic
Ok so my issue is, my pc in the basment is two floors below my theater room. I already own a ps3,

so if I use a ethernet from my pc to my ps3, can I access flac files on my pc via my ps3, use the digital out on the ps3 (HDMI or optical) and get the audio to decode via a external DAC or receiver?

Also ps3 media server says "supports flac transcoding" if I use this feature wont I be using my pcs DAC? I want to find out how to do this using a good DAC...

I also need to be able to get 5.1 and in the future 7.1 sound, in a lossless format from my pc to my tv and AV receiver...

I have so much to learn, can someone suggest a few good links for me? Ive read on the net for about 10 hrs so far, and Im not sure exactly what I need to do.

Notes:
Music-
I dont care about compression ratio, hard drives are big and cheep
I do care about being able to have my music in a lossless format that I can digitally streat to a high quality DAC for use with my stereo system

Movies-
I want ot be able to have movies on my pc in the basement, the send the movie via ethernet to my ps3 for lossless sound and audio.

Is ps3 media server a good way to go? And what high quality DAC is available that supports FLAC?
It seems like using WAV is only a bad idea because of size issues, but with hard drives being so cheep, wouldnt this be the way to go since all DACs support wav? I really dont see a problem witha 1tb hard drive being filled up with 1200-1300 cds in wave format...

Last edited:
R

rayneman725

Enthusiast
I agree if you have the space use it, you know you were also talking about another problem I had to with having my computer downstairs and wanting to listen to it in my bedroom. So I want out an bought the airport express by Apple its a pretty neat divice. it streams music from my Mac/Pc to my upstairs reciever through my WIFi and I can control it through my itouch that works like a remote thanks to a piece of software from a third party. Check it out.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis