McIntosh Speaker Cables

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
I have an A/V Processor : McIntosh MX123 and Power Amp McIntosh MC255.
Speakers : Focal Electra 926
Do you recommend replacing AudioQuest Rocket 33 speaker cables to McIntosh Speaker Cables ?
The McIntosh Speaker Cables are very expensive.
Thanks .

No, there is no reason to change something that doesn't affect sonics with something else that doesn't affect sonics. It is just a waste of money.

E

ebrartin

Enthusiast
Sometimes synergy matters. McIntosh cables might have a voicing designed to complement their gear. Worth a try if you can demo them.
Stick with what works. While mcintosh audio speakers cables might offer slight improvements, the AudioQuest ones should suffice for most setups.

Last edited:
Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
While there can be synergy between phono cartridge, cable and pre-amp input.
But speaker cables? I don't think so.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Never promote FraudioQuest. Their gear has quite often been resoundingly debunked as utter cr@p.

Since this is a thread about McIntosh, it only seems appropriate to add the infamous link to an article written by their former Director of Acoustic Research, Roger Russell.

FWIW: “might have a voicing” is a ridiculous way of suggesting that a cable will somehow alter the electrical signal, or in other words, introduce distortion.

Last time I checked, we were usually interested in removing distortion from the signal chain…

Did I miss a memo somewhere?

;)

flyboylr45

flyboylr45

Senior Audioholic
Cables don’t do anything magical. As long as they’re competent, and well designed, that’s all you need. I use Bluejeans cables for all my cables. For the mains, I opted for Kimber Cable 8pr just because I have OCD and wanted them all the same for the mains. The rest is all Bluejeans cables. Has nothing to do with me believing they sound better or do anything magical to the sound. When I had my Mac gear, I still used Bluejeans cables. As far as eye candy, yes, they’re pretty.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis