McIntosh Speaker Cables

R

Rony

Junior Audioholic
I have an A/V Processor : McIntosh MX123 and Power Amp McIntosh MC255.
Speakers : Focal Electra 926
Do you recommend replacing AudioQuest Rocket 33 speaker cables to McIntosh Speaker Cables ?
The McIntosh Speaker Cables are very expensive.
Thanks .

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I never recommend that crap brand....I just call them fraudioquest. You can do far better for far less money than either that one or McIntosh. There are many reliable providers who don't have a big bullshit tax.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
McIntosh wiring would be worthwhile for nothing more than eye candy. Though quite attractive, they do not perform any better than the cheap ones. Same goes for trophy wives. Also a waste of money.

R

Rony

Junior Audioholic
Thanks. So any suggestion what to do with the AudioQuest Rocket 33 speaker cables ?
Leave them as it is ?
Planing to add McIntosh Stereo Pre Amp C53 to McIntosh A/V MX123 Processor ....Passthrou.

mono-bloc

mono-bloc

Full Audioholic
If you can afford McIntosh gear all power to you, The equievent price in OZ would be close to 40k, So if you want to splash out on McIntosh speaker cables , and or power cables, go for it. It's irrelevant if they sound better or worse, , it's super eye candy. And it's nice to have everything in your system from the same manufacturer

As for resale of the AudioQuest gear, list them on AudioMart in the country of your choice USA, Canada, Australia.

Take no notice of the idiot [ key board cowboy ] who has an opinion on everything audio, and owns nothing. he has no idea of the better things in life

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
McIntosh CS3M Speaker cable
$1,450.00
or 3 payments of $483.33

Monoprice Choice Series 12AWG Oxygen-Free Pure Bare Copper Speaker Wire, 50ft
$28.99
or 3 payments of $9.66

No one sees them behind your gear and you can't hear a difference anyway. The choice is obvious.

R

Rony

Junior Audioholic
$1,450.00 EACH.
I understand. Thanks you.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
$1,450.00 EACH.
I understand. Thanks you.
While I never recommend spending more than necessary on Cables, Belden and Canare are considered good brands that sell for a little more than the Monoprice mentioned above.
For the record, I use the Monoprice 12AWG in my system.
Some measurements indicate that some of the basic Belden product has slightly better properties.

Now... are they audible? ;)

Not very likely. But... there are options if you want.

I agree and stress the point: Do Not spend a lot on Cables. It really becomes more a point of Ownership Pride and Bling, getting fancier cables. So if you do want something sexy and expensive, cool. I would say do what @gene does and buy Kimber Cables. No magic marketing claims, but you pay for beautiful and well made product.

Or you can build your own Cables, too. Some Monoprice or Belden 14/4 or 12/2, Cable Pants, Cable Sleeves, terminations of your choice... You can do them straight, braid them, whatever floats your boat. ;)

R

Rony

Junior Audioholic
While I never recommend spending more than necessary on Cables, Belden and Canare are considered good brands that sell for a little more than the Monoprice mentioned above.
For the record, I use the Monoprice 12AWG in my system.
Some measurements indicate that some of the basic Belden product has slightly better properties.

Now... are they audible? ;)

Not very likely. But... there are options if you want.

I agree and stress the point: Do Not spend a lot on Cables. It really becomes more a point of Ownership Pride and Bling, getting fancier cables. So if you do want something sexy and expensive, cool. I would say do what @gene does and buy Kimber Cables. No magic marketing claims, but you pay for beautiful and well made product.

Or you can build your own Cables, too. Some Monoprice or Belden 14/4 or 12/2, Cable Pants, Cable Sleeves, terminations of your choice... You can do them straight, braid them, whatever floats your boat. ;)
Ok.
I think that adding a McIntosh C53 pre amp for only stereo (passtru) will be better. Or not

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I happen to think McIntosh makes the most beautiful products on the market. But, good looks don't have anything to do with performance. McIntosh cables will add to the look and carry the name, but will not improve performance. More isn't always better, and in this case, adds no performance benefit. But, it'll look damn good.;) Same goes for the pre amp.

R

Rony

Junior Audioholic
You're looking for better sound? Don't waste your money on expensive electronics and get better speakers!
Absolutely true !
I have now Focal Electra 926.
To upgrade the speakers I need lots of money, meantime upgrade the electronics in half price and save to upgrade later when possible.

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
Absolutely true !
I have now Focal Electra 926.
To upgrade the speakers I need lots of money, meantime upgrade the electronics in half price and save to upgrade later when possible.
You're not saving money to upgrade the speakers if you're spending thousands on speaker cables that will provide 0 benefit.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Oh boy, bring up a brand's "sound" and you invite all kinds of comments. Processors, amps and cables work together to send signals to the speakers that actually produce the "sound". Different speakers will be responsible for different "sound." An upgrade to speakers is not dependent to more money spent. You can get a less expensive speaker that produces a better sound to your ears and, if so, the new less expensive speaker can be considered an upgrade from the former. But, different people put different priorities on their components. Function should always be the first priority before considering any cosmetic or bragging rights concerns. I'm not telling anybody what to buy or not buy. But, telling people that just spending more money automatically gets you more quality and functionality is a shady business. If spending more money for the perceived upgrade in cosmetics is a priority, then go for it. Some components and speakers are actually works of art and it is the art, and not the functionality, that comes at a premium. Some are happy to spend it and enjoy looking at their equipment as well as using it. Everybody should enjoy their systems in the way that they want to enjoy them. Just try not to chase any dragons. You'll never catch them.;)

R

Rony

Junior Audioholic
Oh boy, bring up a brand's "sound" and you invite all kinds of comments. Processors, amps and cables work together to send signals to the speakers that actually produce the "sound". Different speakers will be responsible for different "sound." An upgrade to speakers is not dependent to more money spent. You can get a less expensive speaker that produces a better sound to your ears and, if so, the new less expensive speaker can be considered an upgrade from the former. But, different people put different priorities on their components. Function should always be the first priority before considering any cosmetic or bragging rights concerns. I'm not telling anybody what to buy or not buy. But, telling people that just spending more money automatically gets you more quality and functionality is a shady business. If spending more money for the perceived upgrade in cosmetics is a priority, then go for it. Some components and speakers are actually works of art and it is the art, and not the functionality, that comes at a premium. Some are happy to spend it and enjoy looking at their equipment as well as using it. Everybody should enjoy their systems in the way that they want to enjoy them. Just try not to chase any dragons. You'll never catch them.;)
I am copy and save these excellent words to my favorite important documents!

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
$1,450.00
or 3 payments of $483.33

Monoprice Choice Series 12AWG Oxygen-Free Pure Bare Copper Speaker Wire, 50ft
$28.99
or 3 payments of $9.66

No one sees them behind your gear and you can't hear a difference anyway. The choice is obvious.
But they're REALLY good!

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
but they are 'purdy' !! ;)

Rony, I think you have seen enough responses here to get the point with regards to 'overpriced wire' !

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis