Matching plugs and cable for RCA interconnect ?

G

guermantes

Audiophyte
Hi,
I need shielded RCA/Phono cables for my Turntable -> RIAA -> Amp chain, and I thought I would make my own. But before I order components, I wonder if I can check with the forum to verify that my cable and plugs are compatible.

I am not very knowledgeable but I figured Van Damme cables have nice colours as well as a good reputation and are not pricey (I think?). They are the cheapest candy-coloured cables I have found in Europe where I am located.

I am under the impression that a cable with two conductors plus ground is appropriate because I see this on the Supra Dual and in some video the guy said that a single conductor cable would be prone to feedback through the shield or something. So I have homed in on Van Damme Tour Grade Classic XKE microphone cable. (I am new at the forum so I can't link to it yet, but specs are in the spoiler below). It looks thick enough to look good in the connector.

If the text is not crisp, there is a workaround: click the Vimeo logo, intantly hit F5 and then go fullscreen without starting playback. Then the image becomes readable.

Van Damme Tour Grade Classic XKE Microphone cable combines flexibility, durability, noiseless operation and excellent handling characteristics. Now upgraded for this catalogue with more advanced PVC jacketing materials. Van Damme microphone cables can be found in film and recording studios, high street music shops, professional touring applications and the education sector.

Applications
• For mic and line level analogue balanced audio
• Ideal for on stage use

Application notes
• Further improved outer jacket ensures cable remains flexible in sub zero temperatures
• Tightly packed cotton fillers ensure no static build up and even capacitance
• Available in 10 colours for application or length colour coding
• Close lapped copper screen for the best compromise between effective shielding and flexibility
• Combination of silver plated and plain ultra pure oxygen free copper conductors for unsurpassed sound quality

1) Is the cable I have chosen appropriate or overkill?

2) Big follow-up question: does the fact that the cable has two conductors mean that I have to match it with a particular kind of RCA-connector? They seem to look all the same to me but I am no pro, as you might have guessed.

For connectors from Ebay UK, I am thinking either a generic called:
PRO PHONO RCA PLUGS Heavy Duty Locking WBT Type Connectors or
Nakamichi 24K Gold Plated RCA Phone Jack Plug Connector 5mm or maybe the more plastic
Neutrik NYS373.

3) Would any/all of those be inappropriate with the chosen cable?

Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
A good RCA coax interconnect has two conductors.
1] the center SEND conductor.
2] the outer SHIELD/RETURN conductor.

While a 2 conductor plus shield cable is appropriate for a XLR balanced interconnect.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis