Matching 3 ohms speaker to reciever

C

Csar09

Audiophyte
Hello,
I am a newbie audioholic trying to recycle my Samsung HT-BD2 7.1 channel speakers (3 ohm each), and I am planning on buying a Yamaha RX-V581. Simple question: is it posible to use those speakers (1 center, 2 front and 2 surround + 1 subwoofer, for that reciever?

These are the speakers ratings: every tallboy is 3ohm (inside are 2 8-ohm speakers plus 1 12-ohm tweeter in parallel (i guess) totaling those 3 ohm), frequency range 140Hz-50KHz, rated input 135W and max input 270W.

The Subwoofer is 8ohm, 35Hz-160Hz, rated input 155Hz.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hello,
I am a newbie audioholic trying to recycle my Samsung HT-BD2 7.1 channel speakers (3 ohm each), and I am planning on buying a Yamaha RX-V581. Simple question: is it posible to use those speakers (1 center, 2 front and 2 surround + 1 subwoofer, for that reciever?

These are the speakers ratings: every tallboy is 3ohm (inside are 2 8-ohm speakers plus 1 12-ohm tweeter in parallel (i guess) totaling those 3 ohm), frequency range 140Hz-50KHz, rated input 135W and max input 270W.

The Subwoofer is 8ohm, 35Hz-160Hz, rated input 155Hz.
No it is not. You need new speakers. It is seldom possible to salvage anything from an HTIB. Those speakers are not worth the time of day anyway.

A receiver can not drive that sub. Receivers require a powered subwoofer.

C

Csar09

Audiophyte
mmmm, it was still good while it last. It supported Dolby True and DTS HD, and better than anything right now out there for the same price. But the subwoofer suddenly stopped working, still produced a sound when making a bad contact but no sound comes out of it while conmected to the amplifier. Changed RCA and still the same. Was hopping to get at keast 2 more years with it when ATMOS and DTS X soundbar are affordable.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Looks like you have an active (i.e. powered) sub with your htib, so if it still works it would work with the Yamaha. 3 ohms is a pretty low load for most avrs for the speakers, though, but it may work at lower volume levels before the avr protection circuits kick in.

C

Csar09

Audiophyte
Looks like you have an active (i.e. powered) sub with your htib, so if it still works it would work with the Yamaha. 3 ohms is a pretty low load for most avrs for the speakers, though, but it may work at lower volume levels before the avr protection circuits kick in.
Yes, it is an active subwoofer. Gonna put the subwoofer somewhere in case I buy the Yamaha reciever.
I appreciate the response,thank you

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You sure the subwoofer is still functional? I do agree with TLS guy that it's probably time to get new speakers if you're serious about going to a normal component setup rather than another htib setup....

C

Csar09

Audiophyte
You are right, I was thinking sbout it because here in my country there are not that many places that sells speakers to match it with a reciever. Kind of odd, because they do sell good recievers like Onkyo and Yamaha.
Today that Amazon had the SP-PK52FS Andrew Jones in offer, I calculated the shipping (over sea) to be $200, totaling $500. Kind of expensive considering the speakers are $330.
The Onkyo TX-NR555 or the Yamaha RX-V581 for the same price. But the speakers are just a nightmare to get, imagine the only thing I have found are the Harman Kardon and the Onkyo HTiB HT-S7700 from 2014.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Was assuming you're in the US where we're spoiled with av gear. Ever considered DIY speakers/subs?

C

Csar09

Audiophyte
wht do you mean? Even though I have the medium (knowledge) to understand how acoustic works, I have to study it. Is there any book or something like that to guide me?
That can be interesting!

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
You can only do the simple math based on parallel circuit for the 2 8-ohm speakers if they are of identical type, you cannot do the same when combined with the tweeter and the crossover. Overall they probably are around 4 ohm though, as lots of HTIB systems seem to specify around 4 ohms for their speakers. Regardless, as TLSguy said, not worth the time..

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
wht do you mean? Even though I have the medium (knowledge) to understand how acoustic works, I have to study it. Is there any book or something like that to guide me?
That can be interesting!
While you could study up and start your own design from scratch, usually easier to start with speakers where designs and even kits or flatpacks are available. Usual sources here are parts-express.com, madisound.com, and diysoundgroup.com. The diy sections of various audio fora can be very good resources as well (here, avsforum.com and diyaudio.com come to mind). Books perhaps Loudspeaker Design Cookbook by Vance Dickason or Speaker Building 201:A Comprehensive Course in Speaker Design by Ray Alden.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
First thought when reading the title was "these have to be htib speakers" and yup. I've had many a former customer with the same delimma as yourself and you really ate better off with new speakers. Almost anything will sound better. Not only that you'll likely kill those speakers as any amp that could handle the 3 ohm load will probably over power them. As in way too much wattage.

If your budget is low you may want to see if you can get some of the diy kits from parts express type sites. Miniscus (?) also has great kits as well as madisound. I have no idea what international shipping would be though.

C

Csar09

Audiophyte
First thought when reading the title was "these have to be htib speakers" and yup. I've had many a former customer with the same delimma as yourself and you really ate better off with new speakers. Almost anything will sound better. Not only that you'll likely kill those speakers as any amp that could handle the 3 ohm load will probably over power them. As in way too much wattage.

If your budget is low you may want to see if you can get some of the diy kits from parts express type sites. Miniscus (?) also has great kits as well as madisound. I have no idea what international shipping would be though.
Thanks for the replay.

Luckily somebody is selling the Pioneers SP-C21 and SP-BS41-LR here in the same city. What do you think of them compared to the new ones from the kit SP-PK52FS?

If they sound pretty close I can try them for $450 total for 5.0.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I actually have the towers from the new series and love them. I seem to remember reviews saying the new series is superior to the old, but if you get them and love them then it doesn't really matter. That price is pretty good and I've always like pioneer speakers. Good sound for a cheap price.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis