Martin Logan Unison with ARC anyone?

mpitogo2000

mpitogo2000

Audioholic Intern
I finally received my Martin Logan Unison. I have it connected via Digital output into Digital 1 on a McIntosh MA 5200 powering Polk Audio LSiM 707 speakers. On the Unison I have the analog input connected to a Sony PS-HX500 using the built in Phono Preamp and the Digital input connected to a Sony DVP-S500D.

I don't have a Windows PC so I couldn't use the included USB reference Mic for Anthem Room Correction (ARC). Thankfully Anthem does have an ARCmobile iOS app. I used my iPhone 6s built in mic for calibration. The result of correction gives me a bit of mixed feelings. The mid bass has been nulled out and sounds hollow. I'll really need to do more listening or calibration with a PC. With the included app it's pretty easy to enable/disable ARC.

I have the Unison using only the digital output and have it setup to auto select input. Analog or Digital or wireless streaming AirPlay or DTS PlayFi. Overall this feature works well. The analog input on the unison is a bit noisy vs the analog input on the MAc.

More impressions to follow.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I don't know if I'd trust the built in mic on a phone to be very accurate. I'd find a way to use the included mic.

Joe B

Joe B

Audioholic Chief
I don't know if I'd trust the built in mic on a phone to be very accurate. I'd find a way to use the included mic.
That's for sure! The mic that Anthem/Paradigm/Martin Logan sends out has been calibrated in their anechoic chamber and the specs for that mic are used by the ARC software for accurate calibration. Once you've run the calibration with a Windows computer, I think you'll be impressed with the results.

mpitogo2000

mpitogo2000

Audioholic Intern
As suggested I borrowed a Windows 10 PC and ran the calibration. I can't say there is a perceptible difference between the mobile and the reference Mic. Both AR Correction profiles sound similar. But since I can adjust the target correction mainly around low end cutoff, I had more bass management options. Originally it had the crossover set at 33Hz 5th order, I adjusted it to 24Hz.

There is a weird DSP muffling I think happening. When bass is playing the mid and high frequency sounds like there're is a pillow stuffed in front of the speakers but when the bass stops for relief and voices continue the pillow effect is removed. I need to continue with a few more hours of listening sessions.

Attachments

mpitogo2000

mpitogo2000

Audioholic Intern
Good examples

Jon Pardi - Dirt on my boots
Adele - Hello

Once the bass plays the vocals sound muffled but then clear up when when the bass stops.

Also I am familiar with room correction I use two systems calibrated with Audyssey and as a reference it doesn't sound muffled.

I have an Onkyo NR-TX705 using Audyssey with an all Polk 5.1, RT-55 L/R, CS400 C, T15 SL/SR and PSW450 as well as a Marantz SR-7009 using Audyssey MultEQ xt32 also a mostly Polk 7.2.2 Atmos, LSi25 L/R, Martin Logan Motion 50XT C, FX500 SL/SR, T15 SB L/R, T15 TH L/R and DSWmicro PRO front/rear sub.

For comparison I played the same song on the Marantz with Audyssey set to Reference (calibrated) in Stereo to Polk Audio LSi25 Marantz LR power amp connected to the speakers and pre-out LR connected to the LSi25 builtin plate amp ( no dsw subs) the vocals where just as clear with and without the bass line playing Dirt on my boots.

Audyssey
iPad Amazon Music <-Airplay->AppleTV<-HDMI->Marantz SR7009->Polk LSi 25

Anthem Room Correction
iPad Amazon Music <-Airplay->Unison<-Toslink->McIntosh MA-5200 Polk LSiM 707

76GTFan

Audiophyte
Am I the only one who is having problems with the iOS app? It keeps saying it is too loud. I have no ambient noise in the room. The Anthem mike on my PC isn't useful either, as my Unison won't stay connected long enough to run a sweep. The mike isn't chirping. I get error messages with a prompt to retry. I will post PC pics in hopes someone has a solution.

I have a Unison with optical running to my Yamaha rxa-740. The play-fi is functional, so I know my devices are all on my network (hard wired).

mpitogo2000

mpitogo2000

Audioholic Intern
I had no problems with ARC using WiFi with either iOS on an iPhone 6 or Windows 10 on a Dell. The Unison and most of my devices are running on wireless Netgear Orbi system with 3 WAPs.

Try another PC or iOS device.

Regarding the muffled mid and highs sound mostly noticeable in vocals when bass tracks play, I e-mailed ML tech support. I'm thinking it's a software issue with ARC. I have 3 other reference systems 2 with Audyssey and one with no equalization/room Correction and playing the same track is fine (albeit in different rooms).

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis