martin logan source

W

walker17

Enthusiast
Will an onkyo sr-707 av receiver be OK to drive the ML source? I have heard they are a difficult load to drive. What do you guys think?

walker 17

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
I don't know, but I would add an outboard amp for peace of mind. A decent amp doesn't have to cost a lot. A different option play would be to get the Purity instead of the Source. They seem to look identical from what I can tell, but the former is fully active?

You can give the 707 a shot for now, but if you push it, don't be shocked if it goes into protection, gets abnormally hot, or something worse happens to it.

W

walker17

Enthusiast
I don't listen a very high volumes, but i sure don't want to fry the onkyo! I have an old carver m1.5t stereo amp, but I am using it for my sub. what amp would you recomend? I don't wan to spend any more than necessary aand only need a 2 channel version. thanks for the help!
walker 17

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
You're welcome. If I were you, I'd keep tabs at this thread.

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73058

I don't think you necessarily need the best by any means, but perhaps if you can glean relative value with any pricing you have available, you might have a good choice.

You can try the Onkyo for now, but just pay attention and be careful. If you ever trip protection, stop, and refrain from using the system until you can add that amp.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
Will an onkyo sr-707 av receiver be OK to drive the ML source? I have heard they are a difficult load to drive. What do you guys think?

walker 17
I think it would be good to look for a professional review in which impedance measurements are taken, in order to have some proper guidance on how easy or difficult they are to drive. (However, from a quick online search, I have not found any such thing.) Judging from the claims of individuals I have found online, you should be fine with a receiver driving them. Here, for example, someone claims that driving them with a Yamaha RX-V663 is fine:

http://www.martinloganowners.com/~tdacquis/forum/showthread.php?t=7729

You might also contact Martin Logan and see what they have to say about the difficulty of driving them. Remember, a separate power amplifier might give someone peace of mind, but if you don't need it, then it is money spent for no improvement in sound.

I

InTheIndustry

Senior Audioholic
I think it would be good to look for a professional review in which impedance measurements are taken, in order to have some proper guidance on how easy or difficult they are to drive. (However, from a quick online search, I have not found any such thing.) Judging from the claims of individuals I have found online, you should be fine with a receiver driving them. Here, for example, someone claims that driving them with a Yamaha RX-V663 is fine:

http://www.martinloganowners.com/~tdacquis/forum/showthread.php?t=7729

You might also contact Martin Logan and see what they have to say about the difficulty of driving them. Remember, a separate power amplifier might give someone peace of mind, but if you don't need it, then it is money spent for no improvement in sound.
This is excellent advice. People should call the tech support department of speaker manufacturers to get the real scoop on what/how they designed their speakers and to be used with what category/spec of equipment. Especially when looking at smaller manufacturers. I find the tech support of smaller companies to have typicallay been with the company longer while having a passion and great understanding of their products.

Great advice!

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
I already will guess what ML will say, and that is that they will recommend an outboard amplifier with that receiver in particular. It would just make safe sense for them to recommend it. But then again, this is what their website says, so ok nevermind, send them an email and report back. :)

5 Ohms, 1.6 @ 20kHz. Compatible with 4, 6, or 8 Ohm rated amplifiers.
The minimum impedance will always look scary at first with electrostats, but at least in the case of hybrid electrostats, I don't think such high/exotic frequencies are quite the concern. (All of their electrostats will have the minimum rated impedance at 20kHz.)

Again, I'm not worried about the speaker (as I might be with a dynamic speaker with typical tweeter), I'm more worried about the receiver.

W

walker17

Enthusiast
Thanks everyone. I will contact M-L and see what the have to say. I would like to get the Purity's but they are about $700 more and that makes a difference to me, I think the sound is pretty much the same.

walker17

I

InTheIndustry

Senior Audioholic
Çäðàâñòâóéòå
Ñåé÷àñ îäíîé èç àêòóàëüíûõ òåì ÿâëÿåòñÿ òåìà ïîëó÷åíèÿ äîñòîâåðíûõ îòâåòîâ íà äîìàøíèå çàäàíèå
Ïîýòîìó î÷åíü ïîïóëÿðíà ñåðèÿ êíèã Ãîòîâûå äîìàøíèå çàäàíèÿ, èëè ïðîñòî ÃÄÇ
Íî îïåðàòèâíî ïîëó÷èòü íóæíóþ êíèãó ïî ÃÄÇ â ñåòè íå òàê òî è ïðîñòî ò ê:
- íåò áîëüøèõ ñèñòåìàòèçèðîâàííûõ õðàíèëèù ïî ýòîé ñåðèè;
- êíèãè ðàñïîëîæåíû íà ôàéëîõðàíèëèùàõ, äîñòóï ê êîòîðûì òðåáóåò âðåìåíè, à òî è äåíåã;
- ñêîðîñòü ñêà÷èâàíèÿ êíèã ïî ÃÄÇ î÷åíü íèçêàÿ;
- ïðåäñòàâëåííûå ñåðèè êíèã ÃÄÇ óæå óñòàðåëè è ïðåäîñòàâëÿþò íåàêòóàëüíóþ èíôîðìàöèþ;
- êà÷åñòâî îöèôðîâêè äåëàåò ïðîöåññ ÷òåíèÿ êíèã ñåðèè Ãîòîâûå äîìàøíèå çàäàíèÿ ñëîæíûì (÷òî óæ ïðîùå ñàìîìó ðåøèòü çàäàíèÿ, ÷åì ðàñïîçíàòü òåêñò) :)
Ïîèñêàâ â ñåòè íàèëó÷øèé èç ïðåäñòàâëåííîãî ìàòåðèàëà ïî Ãîòîâûì äîìàøíèì çàäàíèÿì, äîïîëíèâ îòñóòñòâóþùèé ñîáñòâåííûìè îöèôðîâàííûìè êíèãàìè
Óäîáíî ðàçáèâ ðàçäåëû ïî êëàññàì øêîëû è ïðåäìåòàì Ïðåäîñòàâèâ óäîáíîå ñêà÷èâàíèå, áåç çàäåðæåê ïî âðåìåíè, íà ìàêñèìàëüíîé ñêîðîñòè, áåç êàêîé-ëèáî îïëàòû, áûë ñîçäàí àðõèâ ïî Ãîòîâûì äîìàøíèì çàäàíèÿì â ýëåêòðîííîé áèáëèîòåêå Áèáëèîòåêà ÑÑ
Îçíàêîìèòüñÿ âû ìîæåòå ïî ññûëêå: biblioteka cc/forum/3495-gdz-gotovie-domashnie-zadanija/
Ñâîè ìíåíèÿ î êà÷åñòâå ðàçäåëà âû ìîæåòå îñòàâèòü â òåìå, èëè æå â ñàìîì ðàçäåëå ïî ÃÄÇ
Ïðèÿòíûõ èçó÷åíèé çíàíèé
What's disheartening is that for the rest of my day I'll be wondering if the above could be the most profound thing ever writting on AH and :( that i cannot read it. ;)

JaBear

JaBear

Junior Audioholic
You really should be holding out for the ElectroMotions they are replacing the Sources and they blow away the Sources for the same price!

W

walker17

Enthusiast
perhaps I will wait to hear those, any heard them yet? Do you know when they will be available? What concerns me is they will be a lot more money than the close-out deals on the Source. Thanks for any feedback you can give about the difference in sound quality and price. walker 17

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
perhaps I will wait to hear those, any heard them yet? Do you know when they will be available? What concerns me is they will be a lot more money than the close-out deals on the Source. Thanks for any feedback you can give about the difference in sound quality and price. walker 17
They are scheduled to come out in April. See:

http://www.martinlogan.com/electromotion/index.php

As for whether they are significantly better than the Source or not, I have no idea where JaBear has heard them to compare.

And, as you say, a new product will not be on sale at a closeout price, so even though the list price is about the same, that does not mean that the actual price you will have to pay to get them will be the same.

Just in case you have not thought to do this, you ought to also go audition some Magnepan speakers, to see if you like them better or not. In the past, I have tended to prefer Magnepan, but I have not auditioned the latest models of either brand, and anyway, it does not matter for you whether I prefer them or not, as what matters for you is what you prefer. But you ought to go audition the competition to decide for yourself which you prefer.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis