Martin Logan Dynamo 1500X Subwoofer Preview

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
The Martin Logan Dynamo 1500X is a reasonably attractive subwoofer sporting a 15" high excursion driver and 650W RMS (1,300W Peak) amplifier in a compact sealed enclosure. Priced at $1,595 in a satin black finish and $1,895 in piano black, the Dynamo 1500X claims a frequency response of 200Hz-20Hz (+/- 3dB). Does the apex of the Dynamo range have what it takes to compete in the hotly contested subwoofer market, or is it just an also-ran not worthy of serious consideration? Read on to see my thoughts.

Executive Overview

At first glance, Martin Logan seems to have conceived a relatively ordinary subwoofer in the Dynamo 1500X. Examining the basic design doesn't yield anything groundbreaking to be sure. The formula of a 15" long throw driver backed by a 650W RMS amplifier in a sealed box is fairly simple, yet quite effective in small and medium sized rooms. The enclosure itself is a standard black box, though with its compact size and optional gloss black finish, I'd expect most wouldn't object to the aesthetics. Still, at $1600-$1900, you're not getting anything terribly revolutionary nor would I qualify the Dynamo 1500X as a screaming bargain in terms of output for the dollar, even accounting for the form factor. Value oriented internet direct manufacturers including Rythmik, Power Sound Audio, and Hsu all offer ostensibly similar products for much less cost.

So what separates the Dynamo 1500X from the pack? It can convert between front-firing and down-firing configurations, which is a neat trick, although I'd guess it’s hardly enough to convince folks to spend the extra coin here. Fortunately, Martin Logan does have one other little trick up its sleeve that might be of some use, namely PBK or Perfect Bass Kit. For an additional $100, you get a system that will measure up to 10 different positions and calibrate your subwoofer such that it delivers improved bass performance across multiple seats. How important that feature is of course depends on your system's front end. If you're utilizing a receiver with room correction software built in that provides subwoofer correction, such as Audyssey MultEQ XT32, PBK may not be a big deal. On the other hand, if you're using something like the bare bones Outlaw Model 975, PBK could be a godsend.

Keeping the feature set in mind, how does the Dynamo 1500X stack up against competitors it might see in a showroom? One natural rival that comes to mind is the Velodyne Optimum 12, which boasts a 12" driver backed by 1,200W of amplifier power in a compact enclosure. Priced just shy of $1,800, the Velodyne is also equipped with a 7 band Auto-EQ system which provides basic correction, as well as a remote for making easy adjustments. In this little match up, PBK appears to be much more sophisticated than the on-board Auto-EQ of the Velodyne. Further, I'd anticipate in terms of raw output capability the larger Dynamo would hold its own against the Optimum 12, in spite of the Velodyne's advantage in amplifier power. All things considered, Martin Logan appears to have a serious competitor on its hands for the given market.

Summary

Are you looking for the most output that you can get for your money? The Dynamo 1500X probably isn't your best bet. On the other hand, if you're looking for strong performance in a small to medium sized room and you've got a receiver or pre/pro that lacks room correction software capabilities, the Dynamo 1500X might be right up your alley. Much more advanced than a channel or two of PEQ or even the Auto-EQ included in some competing products, the optional purchase of PBK turns the Dynamo 1500X from a somewhat ordinary offering into an interesting value proposition. Definitely worth a look in my opinion.

So what do you guys think? Anybody own one? Should Josh run a Dynamo 1500X through his gauntlet of tests?

dynamo 1500x driver.jpgdynamo 1500x pbk.jpg

Quick Specs
Frequency Response: 20–200 Hz ±3dB; Anechoic through LFE effects input
Low Frequency Transducer: 15" (38.1cm) high-excursion, polypropylene cone, cast aluminum basket with extended throw driver assembly; sealed non-resonant cabinet design. Thermal sensor protection.
Amplifier: 650 watts (1300 watts peak)
Inputs: Left & Right/LFE RCA Line Level, LFE XLR, 12V Trigger
Room Correction Capability: Perfect Bass Kit (PBK) Ready (Sold Separately)
Weight: 52lbs. (23.6kg) each
Dimensions (HxWxD) 18.3 x 16.75 x 17.6 Down-Firing; 19.3 x 16.75 x 18 Front-Firing

Last edited:
theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
I'll be publishing my review on the 1500X later this evening, so I'm very familiar with the sub. Like you I found it a bit pricey, but it's quite a potent little thing. Personally I'd love to see what Josh has to say about it.

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
I take it that means the 1500X doesn't embarrass itself against the SB13U and E15 you've got laying around then?
Are you stalking me or something? Got a camera in my house perhaps? :D

The short answer is yes, I believe it was able to hold it's own. The price isn't as competitive though, but the PBK did help smooth out a few room issues I had. Frankly, I enjoyed the 1500X.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Are you stalking me or something? Got a camera in my house perhaps? :D
Nothing so sinister. I roam around AVS from time to time is all. That's my story at least ;)

The short answer is yes, I believe it was able to hold it's own. The price isn't as competitive though
Heck, I'd even call that a big step up for ML, just looking at the Grotto vs the 1500X.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Nothing so sinister. I roam around AVS from time to time is all. That's my story at least ;)
Wait a second...you're not thinking about backing out of paying for the high-def feed, are you? :eek: Running that optical cable was a b***h.

:D

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
For anyone who may be interested in reading my review of the ML Dynamo 1500X you can use this link. Guess now Audioholics needs to get one for Josh... :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis