Marantz SR7010 -- Issue and crossover settings question

T

The Jay

Enthusiast
Hi;

Right now the 7010 is running a pair of Goldenear Triton 2+ towers. I'm listening to tunes on CD and watching movies through the blu ray player.

First,

I have noticed a handful of playback anomalies and would like to know if this just a normal quirk or something abnormal I should call Marantz about:

Sometimes I power up the receiver and blu ray. Play a movie or a cd on the blu ray and it’s playing, but there’s no sound. I have to turn off the receiver and power it up again then it’s on.

And If I get a cd playing on the blu ray player, then I want to shut off my TV, the sound disappears. Then, while the cd is still playing in the blu ray player, I have to leave the TV off, turn off and on the Marantz, then I have audio again.

And if I’m playing a CD on the blu ray, and then want to stop that and watch some Netflix and chill, I stop the CD, load Netflix, then there’s no audio. I have to leave Netflix playing the program, and turn off and on the Marantz then I get audio back.

Other Marantz owners observe any of this?

Secondly,

In the SPEAKER Menu, under the subheading "Crossovers", I can set these to 80, 90, 100, 120, 150, 200, 250hz. I've got them currently set at 80hz for the Triton 2+ towers.

I'm a bit confused though with what to do in the "Bass" submenu. It has a heading "LPF for LFE" and here again i can set to these frequencies: 80, 90, 100, 110, 120,150, 200, 250hz

Should I set these both to the same frequency? Is the 80hz I've got both at fine or did I miss something?

Thanks for your help.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
For crossover I have set my speakers to 80Hz and LFE to 120Hz, you should try what sounds best to you and go with that setting.

Your issues sound like a hdmi handshake problem. I had no blu-ray audio problem randomly with my SR7008 as well and since I got SR7010 I haven't got that issue anymore. Have you installed latest updates and done factory reset?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yep sounds like hdmi handshake issues....what blu-ray player is it? I wouldn't use any but the 120 setting for the LPF of LFE (low pass filter for the LFE channel, i.e. affects .1 channel content when you have a source with such content, it's not a crossover; normal limit of content in that channel is 120hz). You don't have a crossover setting lower than 80hz? Sounds odd, would think it would at least have 40 and 60 settings as well; I'd also start with 80 and then try above and below that.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm a bit confused though with what to do in the "Bass" submenu. It has a heading "LPF for LFE" and here again i can set to these frequencies: 80, 90, 100, 110, 120,150, 200, 250hz

Should I set these both to the same frequency? Is the 80hz I've got both at fine or did I miss something?

Thanks for your help.
LPF for LFE affects only the LFE channel. The default setting is 120 Hz and you should leave it alone. There isn't supposed to be much content, if any, above 120 Hz but I suppose there is no harm setting it higher, say 150 Hz. Just don't set it lower than 120 Hz.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Yes lpf at 120 just like these guys said. The only time you might consider lowering it would be for subwoofer localization issues, if sub placement is problematic.

T

The Jay

Enthusiast
Ok thanks for the clear explanation of crossover vs LFE controls. Yes there are settings of 60 & 40 Hz; I guess I just omitted them unconsciously because I didn't consider them. I've kept the crossover at 80 and put the LFE at 120Hz, oh that makes a big difference. Things are much clearer & more defined at the top end now...

Everything firmware-wise is up to date, though I haven't tried a hard reset yet. See, it took forever to get Marantz to show up on my AirPlay through the Macbook and I didn't want to risk losing it again.

The blu ray player is a Sony BDP S590.

So, if I understand 'handshake issues' correctly, I just have to learn the best order of turning stuff on and kind of live with the best I get?

Thanks for all your help. Much appreciated.

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
Try this Power ON sequence
  1. HD display
  2. AVR
  3. Source component
Just my $0.02... ;)

vsound5150

vsound5150

Audioholic
So, if I understand 'handshake issues' correctly, I just have to learn the best order of turning stuff on and kind of live with the best I get?
You can check settings for HDMI Control, ARC, and TV Audio Switching. Depending how you have everything wired the 7010 could be doing what it's told to do and not have any hardware issues.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Try this Power ON sequence
  1. HD display
  2. AVR
  3. Source component
Just my $0.02... ;)
^^ Agree, and while manually that's easy enough, but if you're using a universal remote you may have to take extra steps to have them turn on in a particular sequence or add sufficient delay between powering each unit.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis