Marantz SR4500 or Onkyo 503 "budget receivers"

A

ArxFatalis

Enthusiast
Hi, I recently sold my cheap home theater in the box solution and already bought some nice speakers. My budget is somewhat limited and some people recommended me to buy a nice " high current" receiver. As of now I can only purchase the "budget" line of recievers. The audio store near me has the new MARANTZ SR 4500 and the Onkyo 503. Just wanted to know wich of these to receivers is a best buy. By the way , the marantz has preouts( strange for a sub 500 dollar receiver :eek: ) but only 2 optical inputs while the onkyo has no preouts but has 3 optical inputs and much nicer design and better remote. The man at the store told me marantz had much more "warm" sound ?
Thankyou for reading, any comments will be much appreciated.

nav

nav

Audioholic
ArxFatalis said:
As of now I can only purchase the "budget" line of recievers. The audio store near me has the new MARANTZ SR 4500 and the Onkyo 503. Just wanted to know wich of these to receivers is a best buy.
If you plan to use an external amplifier, even for only a couple of the channels (e.g., left and right for louder/better/whatever stereo output), the pre-outs are a must-have. The Marantz can up-convert to S-Video, the Onkyo cannot. The Marantz will likely deliver a little more wattage reliably, but it'll likely be negligable. Their warranties are nearly identical, if that's any concern.
ArxFatalis said:
... but only 2 optical inputs while the onkyo has no preouts but has 3 optical inputs and much nicer design and better remote.
The Marantz also has two coaxial digital audio inputs while the Onkyo only has one. Some would argue the coaxial inputs are more useful, but I think it's largely personal preference and what specific devices you're connecting (some devices have only out type of output; e.g., a PS2 only has an optical).
ArxFatalis said:
The man at the store told me marantz had much more "warm" sound ?
I'd suggest just listening to them yourself on speakers and material you know (it really helps to do it with your own speakers, obviously ;)). Especially check out any DSP modes you like to use (if any), they'll have the most differentiated sound between the two receivers. Make sure to tweak the cross over to what it should be at with both receivers, I'm not sure of the Hz range each one will offer you.

Last edited:
R

rumble

Audioholic
The Marantz looks like a pretty solid piece of equipment. What kind of return policy does the local dealer have? Would they let you purchase one and return it for the other if you didn't like it?

If your not wedded to buying from the local dealer the Pioneer 1015 is in your price range and has a few more features. Preouts on all the channels, video up-convert from composite and s-video to component and auto speaker set up and calibration(MCACC). The MCACC does a great job and is really easy to use.

S

Skiguy

Enthusiast
I don't have any recent experience with Marantz products, but they are part on the same company as Denon that I have found to be very good. I have a Onkyo 595 in my play room and it is also very good. It is probably overdriven often because of the room size and I have not had any probelms with it.

I would listen to the two, (check the settings to make sure thay are centered) unless you like the Marantz sound better, go with the Onkyo.

A

ArxFatalis

Enthusiast
Thanks for all the help. I would like to take my speakers to the audio store ( as they previously adviced me) but they are too large and heavy ( MTX 10 ) . I did notice that the salesman gave me a catalog in wich the budget receiver has " all discrete amplifier stages" and the more upscale or professional marantz receivers have "all discrete CURRENT FEEDBACK amplifier stages".

There is certainly a difference here. Can someone explain what is the difference ? Does it mean that these budget receivers aren´t really "high current " ?

Responding to the return policy.... There is no return policy and the warranty is only one year :( ( I live in Costa Rica where this kind of equipment is expensive due to high tax ) . It applies to both ONKYO and MARANTZ products.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
ArxFatalis said:
Thanks for all the help. I would like to take my speakers to the audio store ( as they previously adviced me) but they are too large and heavy ( MTX 10 ) . I did notice that the salesman gave me a catalog in wich the budget receiver has " all discrete amplifier stages" and the more upscale or professional marantz receivers have "all discrete CURRENT FEEDBACK amplifier stages".

There is certainly a difference here. Can someone explain what is the difference ? Does it mean that these budget receivers aren´t really "high current " ?

Responding to the return policy.... There is no return policy and the warranty is only one year :( ( I live in Costa Rica where this kind of equipment is expensive due to high tax ) . It applies to both ONKYO and MARANTZ products.
That is correct. Budget receivers offer high wattage specs at higher distortion levels to make consumers happy. They are pulling a blanket over your eyes with 100 watt ratings. That is why high current receivers like Harman Kardon quote their receivers in true watts at low distortion levels. You get what you pay for, especially with receivers.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis