Marantz SR4500 can't drive Infinity Oreus?

D

Donovan

Enthusiast
I was just in a store looking for some floorstanders to complement my Infinity Oreus 5.1 set. But one of the salesmen told me my Marantz SR4500 receiver can't drive these speakers properly as well as some of the speakers they had that I fancied (Canton Vento 807 DC). I bought this set about two months ago at a discount (reciever + DVD + speakers for €1200) at what is considered a '1st class' store. Could this be true? :confused:

R

ruadmaa

Banned
Your Marantz will drive those speakers just fine. Especially since you have a power subwoofer. No amp will drive them finer unless, of course, you are blasting so loud that the next county will hear you. Under any REASONABLE volume level you will be getting good clean excellent sound.

D

Donovan

Enthusiast
Do you think they could drive the Vento's in 7.1 setup?

And for that matter, how do you 'calculate' such a thing? I am looking at the specifications of the more expensive Marantz receivers, but except for the sound options and wattage (f.e. 110 instead of my 80watts) they seem the same (frequencies, THD, impedance etc.). :confused:

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The 5400 should be fine with that speaker package. The mains don't go very low and they are 6 Ohm, which is the minimum recommended for Marantz. I think the guy is just trying to sell you a new receiver.

D

Donovan

Enthusiast
Okay, but let's say I wanted to be sure I'm on the safe side. Would it better to invest in a more expensive receiver (SR7500 f.e.) or in two power amplifiers?

And if I wanted to bi-amp/bi-wire (isn't that the same?) to improve the sound, could I only do that with power amps or with the expensive receivers as well?

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Judging by the specs on the Cantons, it looks like those speakers like juice (88dB sensitivity, 4-8 ohm impedance). You would probably benefit by using a two channel amp for the fronts and maybe a monoblock for the center speaker. These three speakers see most of the action in a movie, and therefore are using the most power. Your receiver can easily handle the other 4 speakers (and probably the center as well). So yeah, I think that if your current receiver does all the processing and stuff you need and is only lacking in power, grab an amp or two for the front speakers.

Regarding bi-wiring/bi-amping. Bi-wiring is simply running a cable with a standard pair of connections on the receiver/amp side to the speaker where it splits into four terminations. People do this because they think the audio signals can split themselves into bass and treble frequencies and travel down the cable that connects to the tweeter posts and the woofer posts. I think it's absolute rubbish, but that's for you to decide.

Bi-amping uses an electronic crossover outside the speakers to send the treble information to one amp and the bass information to another. Then each amp is hooked up to its respective binding post on the speaker. This allows the amp for the treble (and if it's a 3-way speaker the treble and midrange) to be free of the large power demands of reproducing bass frequencies and therefore have more headroom. Consequently, since the bass signals have their own amp, they can play louder and cleaner.

You can bi-wire with any amp or receiver. To bi-amp with a receiver, you need a pair of extra channels. With a receiver like the Denon AVR-3805, this can be done by using the back surround/zone 2 amps. However, this limits you to a 5.1 configuration. Since you want 7.1, you'd need a receiver with 9 channels of amplification, and I only know of one that would fit the bill, the Denon AVR-5805. At $6k, I would think it's out of your price range. The easiest thing to do is power your fronts with external amps.

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
jaxvon said:
Since you want 7.1, you'd need a receiver with 9 channels of amplification, and I only know of one that would fit the bill, the Denon AVR-5805. At $6k, I would think it's out of your price range. The easiest thing to do is power your fronts with external amps.
Actually there a lot of receivers that will do this, off the top of my head Yamaha makes a bunch of them that would be in a reasonable price range. The RX-V2500 and the RX-V1500 both have zone 2 outputs (total 9 speaker outputs) the 1500 can be had for about 500.00 the 2500 is probably a stretch. Also I believe a JVC has 9 outs. (checked yes the DP15B has a set for zone 2) However the JVC is a little up there in price because of the THX cert. But no where near $6K. There are plenty others, just need to shop around if this is exactly what you are looking for.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
That's true, but can you configure the presence channels to do something other than presence? I thought they were only able to take an input from the circuits inside the receiver. Maybe not though, as I don't own one of these units.

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
jaxvon said:
That's true, but can you configure the presence channels to do something other than presence? I thought they were only able to take an input from the circuits inside the receiver. Maybe not though, as I don't own one of these units.
The presence channels are only high level speaker outputs. The 9 channels I was refering to are 9 rca outputs.

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
Another is the Denon 3805, which Buck just posted a very decent price in bargains and deals. 699.00 and 29.00 shipping over at ubid.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis