Marantz SR 5008 powers on automatically

J

Javier Medina

Audiophyte
Over the past couple of months, I have been coming home to find my SR 5008 powered on. No one has been in the house when this happens. It seems that something is interfering with my systems causing it to automatically turn on. This happens EVERY SINGLE DAY, I am puzzled as to what could be the cause. Has anyone experience this? What is the solution?

D

Dargent0628

Junior Audioholic
Weird. Universal remote?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
If you have enable turning on by ethernet/hdmi input that might be the cause. There might be some signal coming, ie. Handshake that turns on the receiver.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Ghosts in the receiver processor or rogue IR signals. The receiver isn't part of an integrated system is it (RF transmitters)?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Over the past couple of months, I have been coming home to find my SR 5008 powered on. No one has been in the house when this happens. It seems that something is interfering with my systems causing it to automatically turn on. This happens EVERY SINGLE DAY, I am puzzled as to what could be the cause. Has anyone experience this? What is the solution?
Disconnect it from the Internet, just in case something is waking it up. I highly doubt stray infra red signals.

The next thing you should do is reset the receiver back to the factory defaults and reset up the receiver. This is more likely to work than the above.

I think the most likely issue is a failure in the turn on circuit. This will be in a chip these days. However the most common type of circuit, is a tailed Darlington pair of transistors that are destabilized and through the momentary switch. This can be accomplished by changing the state of a capacitor for instance. These days all this is contained in an IC.

Now these circuits work as the system is always on the point of instability. So it should come as no surprise, that the odd part of the circuit wandering from spec value, can make the circuit flip. These type of circuits are actually known as flip/flops. So it is not uncommon to have these circuits flop when they should flip and vice versa.

My hunch is that the turn on circuit or the board containing that circuit will end up getting replaced.

However I want to stress that you need to do a factory reset before taking the unit in for service, as these days so much of the circuitry interacts with the software.

highfigh

highfigh

As Dargent asked, are you using a Universal Remote and specifically, did someone install it for you? If you have a remote from URC and it uses an RF base station or receiver, look at the small dial on the back- if it's set to zero (has 16 options), that's only supposed to be used for setup and testing before selecting an assignment.

As TLS posted, disconnect the ethernet cable, if it uses that.

If you are using a universal remote, does a neighbor have the same or a similar model? If you live in an apartment, you might want to ask if your neighbors have similar equipment. If you don't want anyone to know what is in your system, I understand not wanting to ask people about theirs. Do you use WiFi encryption, or is your network open? If it's open, you should use encryption, to prevent someone using it and causing problems.

Bizarro_Stormy

Bizarro_Stormy

Audioholics Whac-A-Mole'er™
Over the past couple of months, I have been coming home to find my SR 5008 powered on.
You may have a poltergeist...
or, I forgot to turn it off when I left...

Either way, I'm sure these fine folks will help with your dilemma...

You're out of Cheetos and chocolate ice cream BTW...

highfigh

highfigh

Make sure it didn't come with two remotes (a normal one and a smaller one for Zone2). I read about someone who had a new car stereo installed in his car just before a cross-Canada auto endurance race, where they had three drivers per car. The head unit was doing all kinds of crazy things, randomly, and the car owner repeatedly called the shop that had installed it, trying to figure out why it was being a PITA. They had no idea, do the guy just suffered on.

They made it to the finish and the car owner called the shop again, said he was going to rip it out of the dash but one of the guys who drove with him started to laugh. Turns out, he had found the remote that came with the new car stereo and was using it to torment his friend. No, I don't know why a car stereo would need a remote control, but........

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
You may have a poltergeist...
or, I forgot to turn it off when I left...

Either way, I'm sure these fine folks will help with your dilemma...

You're out of Cheetos and chocolate ice cream BTW...
Priorities!
Forget about the AVR, just buy more Cheetos and chocolate ice cream!
What you have is a Bizarro infestation, and the last thing you want to add to the mix is a LBSE (Low Blood Sugar Event).
My advice, queue up some Teletubbies to keep him mollified!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis